Proposed Stretch Goals:

Yeah, I checked that when I was checking through them earlier, it only had casean bodies(for all types) and sebilian and human ones :P No other aliens, but if you feel like so you can show the pics to me ;P

@Gazz: Fluff text in order to give personality to aircraft. They feel less expendable if you feel like you lose pilot instead of losing aircraft.

This is my proposal for the stretch goals. If people like them, they'll go up in a couple of hours along with a survey that allows you to vote for them in order of preference. Thoughts?

One other thought - putting in there a language translation option I think would pay off hansomly. On the face of it, it looks like a lot of hassle. The majority of your current core backers probably don't see the value in it (most of them are likely to game in English or they wouldn't of found the KS). However, it may be a great way to generate interest in other countries. Have a look at the "Banner Saga" stretch goals. They had a level above which they would release a translated version (1 language) and polled for favourite language. This sounds like a great way to get visiability in non-English speaking countries as it encourages those people who would like to see xenonauts in their language to poll and get all their mates, and their mates mates to also poll, increasing visibility. Particularly if you could combine this with a press release timed to go with the poll so that game news outlets in those countries would cover it (the original KS press release was picked up well in a number of countries). This might be a great way to broaden your audience beyond the KS faithful. It might worth contacting the Banner Saga group to get a feeling for whether this paid off for them.

My impression is that there is not a lot of text involved (it means redoing all your UI screens, but this is an intern level job rather than requiring your main artist, and dealing with xenopedia/research descriptions). I know some under employed Spanish translators and my impression is that quality translation doesn't cost too much (I can make enquires to get a rough idea of the cost, if this is useful?).

I don't know why there's people whining so much about the game not having female portraits, seriously, I'm a huge fan of XCOM since I was a kiddo, and I couldn't care less about the woman in the game... What's the point of having the portraits if, in the battle, they'll look like men? For me it's a waste of funds.

It's much more important to add the Berserk situation, this was in the original game and should not be left out! It's one of the great memories I have from this game.... I wan't the soldiers to go BERSERK! I'm going Berserk right now... lol

I agree. Also, the soldiers reaction fire AFAIK has not been implemented yet (don't know for sure if its already planned to be implemented or not).

I know this is not exactly the ideal place to talk about, but here is one sugestion: please remake the artwork/drawing for the end-combat screen (the one that says who died and who survived) and the main game menu artwork too (new game, load, quit). I really don't like them.

I know this is not exactly the ideal place to talk about, but here is one sugestion: please remake the artwork/drawing for the end-combat screen (the one that says who died and who survived) and the main game menu artwork too (new game, load, quit). I really don't like them.

Please post it in the suggestions subforum as it will just get lost here. Preferebly with screencaptures of the screens and a more indepth explanation as to why you don't like them.

Maybe even make a suggestion as to what you would like instead.

oh no ! they are not accepting more votes ! :(

I will post here then in order of preference:

- Reaper (Chryssalid) Hive tileset ($40k) –

- Human Psionics and Blaster Bombs –

- Inside missions –

- Soviet Town terror tileset ($40k) –

- Military Base tileset ($40k) –

- Hire a Level Designer -

- Motion Detector –

- Tileset-Specific NPC Allies –

- Vehicle Combat Experience –

- Proxy Grenades –

- Tall Grass –

- Female soldiers –

- Pilot Portraits and Callsigns –

- Memorial Screen –

It’s sad to hear that the Reaper Hive tileset is lagging behind in votes – this new mission type sounds great, and not just because I’m a Space Hulk fan! In order keep it a financially viable option, I have a suggestion: make the Reaper tiles non-destructible.

I know what many will think: that destructible terrain is a key aspect of the game. I completely understand that, but let me explain my reasoning. It sounds like the tilesets are very expensive because they’re a lot of work to produce, particularly because they require three states (pristine, damaged, destroyed). It stands to reason that eliminating two of those states would knock a fair chunk off the cost.

Consider also that non-destructible terrain would lead to more variation in the gameplay experience; one that’s actually more in line with Space Hulk, the game that inspired this mission type. Instead of being able to blow your way out of a situation, your soldiers are trapped in an underground hive infested with creatures. It’s a claustrophobic and engrossing scenario. In-game it could be explained away fairly easily, e.g. “the hive structure is extremely dense and has proven impervious to our weapons.”

Note I’m not suggesting that all new tilesets should be done in this way – just the Reaper. It sounds like it would be a fairly rare mission anyway (only appearing “late game”).

Ultimately, if the sanctity of destructible terrain is considered the most important factor then I understand and this suggestion should be discarded. It’ll be interesting to see what others think.

It’s sad to hear that the Reaper Hive tileset is lagging behind in votes – this new mission type sounds great, and not just because I’m a Space Hulk fan! In order keep it a financially viable option, I have a suggestion: make the Reaper tiles non-destructible.

I know what many will think: that destructible terrain is a key aspect of the game. I completely understand that, but let me explain my reasoning. It sounds like the tilesets are very expensive because they’re a lot of work to produce, particularly because they require three states (pristine, damaged, destroyed). It stands to reason that eliminating two of those states would knock a fair chunk off the cost.

Consider also that non-destructible terrain would lead to more variation in the gameplay experience; one that’s actually more in line with Space Hulk, the game that inspired this mission type. Instead of being able to blow your way out of a situation, your soldiers are trapped in an underground hive infested with creatures. It’s a claustrophobic and engrossing scenario. In-game it could be explained away fairly easily, e.g. “the hive structure is extremely dense and has proven impervious to our weapons.”

Note I’m not suggesting that all new tilesets should be done in this way – just the Reaper. It sounds like it would be a fairly rare mission anyway (only appearing “late game”).

Ultimately, if the sanctity of destructible terrain is considered the most important factor then I understand and this suggestion should be discarded. It’ll be interesting to see what others think.

Excellent suggestion ! A mission where you can't just keep destroying everything. It would oblige you to use more refined tactics.

Well, considering what alien hives tends to be, I guess reaper hive would have pretty gross looking fleshy/gooey look, so if they animate it to look like pulsing organ or something it would still take lots of effort.

Still, more tilesets = more awesome. Even though original xcom didn't have THAT many different tilesets, it still had enough for its graphics. But since this game is newer, it would feel weird if we only have city/farm/desert/tundra/bases/"normal" wildernes =/ Though I guess if maps are varied enough, we will never notice that forests in all countries look the same :P But yeah, more tilesets would be awesome for the experience.

I like your idea. I also find a Hive tileset much more interesting than say a military base (which is more or less the same as the urban tileset with several new assets added, but not fundamentally different), and I would love to have it in the game. It'd give that Alien/Starship Troopers vibe, which I'd prefer to a more conservative military base or town set. Also, you could explain the indestructibility (at least with small arms fire) quite easily.

Animation would perhaps be an issue to make the tileset feel more gross, but I don't think we need more than say 10 or 15 animated tiles, interspersed with the static ones (think Starcraft 1) to make it come to life.

If reaper hive is organic then you can explain its indestructibility with 1) It regenerates damage too fast 2) Its not like any enemy unit shows visible damage after getting hit 3) It just soaks up bullets and energy weapon blasts.

Though I have to wonder if they are nuke immune :P That would be cool mission, setting up a bomb in alien hive I mean.

But yeah, you could explain indestructibility to explosion damage by having pop up message(or cutscene) inform you that countries tried to bomb the hive but it didn't take visible damage, which is why you have to destroy it from inside instead of just nuking it from orbit.

Edited by XenoMask

Or capture Reaper Hive Queen.

But yeah, you can explain reaper hive not getting damaged easily by claiming that it has been discovered to not take damage except for certain weakspots you must destroy to destroy the base/stop reapers from breeding. So please include it even if it means cutting out damaged tiles and such, more tilesets the better :D

And it would actually make sense because let's face it, why the heck you would send your soldiers into hive full of aliens capable of breeding like that if you can just nuke it? :P(unless its underground hive... Well, I guess you could still plant nuke at entrance and cave in the hive)

Edited by XenoMask

Maybe they could add enough tiles to have a small reaper hive room in enemy bases.

Maybe then a couple of tiles mixing hive and human base features and you already have the basis for a large hive.

Just build it into parts of a human base and point out that they are busy taking it over.

That cuts the required tiles by a huge amount as you can reuse existing ones for the majority of the map.

Hmm, that could work. I mean, alien hive in Alien 2 was like that, wasn't it?(its long time since I watched that film) Chrysalids were obviously inspired by them, so it could work as homage. Plus there are other aliens who do do the human base hive thing.

Anyway, I would personally wish for full alien hive, but if human base hive would convince devs to add it I'd still be happy.

Or hope for a reaper hive DLC after release.

I would splash out a few spare pounds on it.

I was thinking the same. I'm obviously new to this forum - has there been any past discussion about DLC if the game is popular? I'm typically not a fan but I could make an exception for X-COM. :D

I'd guess it's not something anyone wants to think about much right now with all the stuff that is planned to be done. And there's probably not many ways you could and DLC to an X-COM type game without screwing up the balance between those that have it and those that don't. Sequel maybe... :D

Edited by targetbsp

It has been discussed by the forumites a few times.

I don't think Chris is overly keen on the idea as he will be looking towards Goldhawks next project rather than back at this one.

It would depend on the popularity of the game and how much cash he could make from it.

Maybe after release we will see another kickstarter for Xenonauts DLC.

I don't think DLC Kickstarter would work because there is lots of backlash agaisnt dlc nowdays ^^;

I personally don't want reaper hive to be dlc(though I would buy it) because that would make it... Well, optional. I think everyone should feel dread of alien hive in region harvesting all civilians to breed more aliens :P

There is that thought that since its late game mission, buying dlc would mean that you would have to get end of the game before you can actually enjoy the mission :P

And like I said, its more scary when mandatory, if its dlc then its case of "Huh, that was awesome mission I bought and knew about in advance" instead of "Holy ****".