Oil and why it is an awesome idea.

The thread about naval missions made me think..

Modern naval forces could do precision strikes too, but even if the game wasn't set in the cold war era combining the two would be a huge hassle.

However - Oil rig missions would be really awesome! (thanks to aliencrush for the basic idea)

We already have those small "Oil Rig strafed" notices anyway, why not make it a part of the game?

It would be the same type of mission as the regular ones, just a different terrain and different gains.

I also assume the largest UFOs couldn't fit themselves on an oil rig, that could be another factor.

Obviously you'd get a large bonus for defending it without losing civilian workers or destroying equipment, however destroying equipment or losing civ workers would make an equally big dent in your mission reward.

It's also a fitting idea otherwise - Jets need fuel too!

It would also be a huge change from the usual maps and areas and since most oil rigs are within rather small areas not smack in the middle of the ocean it would be both easy-ish to get to and another strategical decision when placing your bases.

"Do I go for the population centre or do I secure our oil/fuel income?"

Besides, if I was an alien getting shot down by stone-age jets I'd be so upset I'd blow up any oil sources I could find just out of spite :cool:

Heck, you could add oil refinery missions too eventually..

We have infinite fuel as is and it should be that way too, but refueling costs money doesn't it? It should, anyway :D

After the aliens get mean, what's stopping us from researching "naval defense batteries" or something along those line to be automatically placed on all oil rigs?

This could reduce the chance of aliens going for oil and reduce the amount of aliens that arrive there alive - also giving a small chance of the alien ship crash-landing on the oil rig :D

The opportunities are endless!

Also would be nice to know how easily this could be added to the game or if it's ridiculously hard..

I assume it'd be mainly adding another map with or without an UFO in it and adding another target to the UFO attack list and some effects in the budget and refueling costs, am I wrong?

TL;DR:

-Oil rig missions would be awesome and new and cool

-Oil refinery missions could be a long-term goal for development

-These could both influence your income and the cost and/or speed of refueling

-The addition of oil is logical

-It adds to the game without taking anything away

-New aspects added to the strategic side of the game (base placement, priorities)

Ideas?

Credit of the "Oil rigs?" idea goes to Aliencrush, I just refined it and made it into a thread and told you why it would be amazing. ;)

Having missions on oil rigs (or even oil tankers) could be fun with smaller inserted teams (dropships can't land) and no vehicles, having to watch out for collateral damage though I wouldn't go so far as to make them mini bases with their own AAA and radar.

What bothers me is that rigs are sitting ducks. If the aliens wanted them destroyed they could just take them out with ship based weapons, no need to send teams down to randomly smash stuff and kill workers. Of course, suspension of disbelief is one of the primary requirements in gaming but I still feel these oil missions would be pretty contrived.

I wouldn't mind getting S.O.S calls from aircraft carriers being boarded by aliens. Carriers would basically be huge buildings with the players starting on the "roof" and descending down.

Maybe they want to steal the oil Jean-Luc? or sabotage the fuel rather then simply denying the Xenonauts their precious jet fuel.

Or maybe they are wondering WTF is this structure? What is it's purpose? What is it doing all the way out here? Can we use it to harvest something? marine life? brains? Use it as training missions to get aliens used to fighting in earths atmosphere/gravity?

Maybe they want to steal the oil Jean-Luc? or sabotage the fuel rather then simply denying the Xenonauts their precious jet fuel.

Or maybe they are wondering WTF is this structure? What is it's purpose? What is it doing all the way out here? Can we use it to harvest something? marine life? brains? Use it as training missions to get aliens used to fighting in earths atmosphere/gravity?

They also don't know what'll happen if they break it entirely. Heck, for all we know they might actually NOT want to destroy the planet - just us puny humans ;)

As a saying goes: Don't crap where you eat!

Oil is always a sore subject for a government so they could make for an interesting new form of terror mission.

The missions would have to be a pretty big part of the game to make a whole new tileset practical however.

I can see the appeal of an entirely new area for missions but it doesn't really seem like it would be worth the hassle to me.

What does it bring to the game that a land based refinery mission wouldn't?

A refinery would be a subset of the current industrial tileset and make for a much easier implementation than a sea based rig.

They're aliens, not mentally deficient children puzzled by random sights. They've traveled light years, they know about fossil fuels, they have scanners, recon craft. If they walked about sight seeing every strange structure we'd have missions not just on oil rigs but amusement parks, theaters, toy shops, grocery stores, the Eiffel Tower and pretty much everywhere you can think of.

The random event that has them strafing oil rigs is precisely due to the aliens' understanding of what they are and what they mean to humanity. Of course one could always come up with a story about how they use oil as food or a skin care cream but...you know.

There would need to be a plausible reason why aliens need the oil.

Edited by Jean-Luc

Unfortunately a land based refinery is just that, a refinery. I did also mention adding that, too, in the long run..

However I do think that for those of us who do get bored of repeating the same tilesets over and over again oil rigs would be a fresh breath of air.

Top that off with all the strategic elements it adds and I just don't think land-based refineries can compete, especially when we already have an industrial area.

Can't remember if there's an "oil refinery strafed" event, but I do remember there being an "oil rig strafed" one ;)

Plus come on, oil rigs. What's there not to like?

They're aliens, not mentally deficient children puzzled by random sights. They've traveled light years, they know about fossil fuels, they have scanners, recon craft. If they walked about sight seeing every strange structure we'd have missions not just on oil rigs but amusement parks, theaters, toy shops, grocery stores, the Eiffel Tower and pretty much everywhere you can think of.

The random event that has them strafing oil rigs is precisely due to the aliens' understanding of what they are and what they mean to humanity. Of course one could always come up with a story about how they use oil as food or a skin care cream but...you know.

There would need to be a plausible reason why aliens need the oil.

Disregarding that I feel you have made several assumptions about Chris IP there.

Maybe they need the oil because they ran out of oil on their homeplanet?

Maybe their space fleet still runs on fossile fuel?

Hmmm I think I got that one from an issue of Herman Hedning(swedish comic full of lowbrow humor) in which immortal space cods kills off the dinosaurs and push them into the ground to make oil in a few million years. =P

Edited by Gorlom

Propulsion systems that can traverse between stars don't run on fossil fuels, at least not the kind we have here. As you salvage alien equipment in the game, among other things, you get the chance to analyze their power sources and engines. We know that aliens use alenium/elerium as a kind of universal energy source to power pretty much all their systems (including propulsion).

But honestly, no civilization that advanced would be using oil to move around, even we are beginning to move away from it (the only reason it hasn't already happened being the protection of the world economy from the chaos of a suddenly collapsed oil industry).

Although all you need to fold space in Dune is snort some spice so maybe

. :P Edited by Jean-Luc

I've got one reason to do it..

Oil rigs are awesome!

Seriously though, as long as we can assume the aliens plan to use the planet AFTER humanity is gone one would assume they'd want to stop humans from destroying it themselves.. Thus disabling oil production, fishing fleets... (There is a fishing fleet event isn't there?)

They're not murderous aliens out for world destruction - they're just next level eco activists!

Here to rid this beautiful planet of its worst pests ;)

In one of the X-com like games the element was responsible for gravitaty based propulsion ircc. It probably powered more stuff but technically you could have it resposible for only the propulsion and require a secondary source to power life support and stuff.

This is however an unlikely possibility and not something anyone would really go with... But it is technically possible (despite the bad story writing)! =P

Alien power technology doesn't have to follow the human technology evolution. Maybe they built their civilisation ontop of a more advanced (that died out somehow) civilization and simply skipped the fossile fuel stage? We already know they are a mix of aliens so why not?

I've painted myself into a corner. =P

Gimme a moment to come up with an answer to that...

No wait, that wasn't the point! The skipping fossil fuel stage was a reference back to why aliens would go "WTF is this structure all the way out in the middle of the ocean? What does it do?" that I suggested in this post: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/1338-Oil-and-why-it-is-an-awesome-idea.?p=15266&viewfull=1#post15266

Edited by Gorlom

Hahaha I don't think its that easy. =) We can discuss if its a good idea or not but I don't think it's likely just because we think it would be cool...

It being cool hardly makes up for for the workload. Even if we can justify it with gameplay reasons it feels like a longshot. Maybe Chris can open up the possibility to modd it in if someone decides they want to do the artwork and such. (In case there is anything currently preventing it... like say spawning missions in the ocean.)

Unfortunately a land based refinery is just that, a refinery.

I don't understand why that is a bad thing but an oil rig is a good thing personally.

If the team had time and cash to do another whole tileset there are many I could see being much nicer than an oil rig.

As I said the basic idea is good but the scope is a little off.

To warrant a whole tileset the missions would need to be quite common.

Adding airport, train station, refinery, military base, and many others for more varied terror missions would all be more interesting to me than oil rig tiles.

They would be nice as terror missions though and I wouldn't argue against them if the team decided they wanted to run with the idea :P

Oh and if someone could make the tileset then it should theoretically be possible to add some offshore locations as 'cities' and allow terror missions there.

Then you can alter the mapping so that any mission in those areas would use the new oil rig tileset.

Not a quick mod but possible at least.

Edited by Gauddlike

Ok then. :P I surrender. I hereby authorize the implementation of maritime oil rigs and associated features into the game. Now all we have to do is sit and wait for it to happen.

I, for one, hope that we are sitting so long our asses fall asleep and we forget all about this...

I don't understand why that is a bad thing but an oil rig is a good thing personally.

Me too. All maps in game are "small and isolated". What make oil rig so special?

I think need make map overbound blackness to sea texture and voila - oil rig:)

An oil rig mission would be a nice addition to the game, and one I've considered in the past. However the main issue is the fact it'd be another tileset, each of which are huge amounts of effort and make me want to cry.

Plus I'd rather have, say, a jungle tileset first given we already have an industrial tileset. But yeah, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the idea other than the time and effort it'd take to do it.

Now suddenly I feel guilty for blowing up all those aliens.. Oh well!

To Chris:

I'd love to see oil rigs, jungle and perhaps desert (or pyramids in a desert or a jungle, we all know who built those!)..

Shame I have no clue how to help with the artwork or I'd offer myself as free labor :/