I wish engineers could manufacture items for sale and make profit

I use what is called Kingsoft Office, its basically the same as Microsoft Office, but you can get it free.

Use the Excel program in that office package to modify the game files.

Its very easy to do, just open the Items.xml file, find the name of items you want to sell, then find the sell price and change it so its higher than the production price.

Then save the file and next time you play you can sell items you chose for profit.

How is it cheating to modify items.xml to let you manufacture for a profit, but not cheating to ask someone else to do the same for you?

You can use the excuse that the game was designed to allow it vs a modification that you complete personally to give yourself an "advantage". Not sure why ego is coming into it at all though, since nobody cares about what other players do with their copy.

This is a single player game with no form of competition, do what you want with your own copy.

I don't understand why in Xenonauts manufacturing is so different then in oryginal game. I'm limited by cash to build weapons, while I believe I should be limited by alien materials and components. Here we don't have components at all. Just alien alloys and alenium.

And hicks in Africa have laser weapons, while not all my soldier had such weapon. :(

If you fighting with Aliens, materials should be precious, cash should be just addition. And manufactured weapon should be very good bussiness for sale.

Is modding a game to make it more like the original cheating? I don't think so. It does make it easier but changing the difficulty is not cheating either.

I'm not sure what qualifies as cheating more than modifying game files to make it easier, but this is a purely single player game so it doesn't really matter.

I'm not sure what qualifies as cheating more than modifying game files to make it easier, but this is a purely single player game so it doesn't really matter.

It would be making the game more like the original which would have a side effect of making it easier. Cheating implies doing something with the purpose of gaining an advantage. I'm pretty sure any actual cheating would be more qualified to be considered cheating.

Cheating implies doing something with the purpose of gaining an advantage.

You're doing something that only makes the game easier. I'm fairly confident you wouldn't be changing the game if it made it harder.

Again, it's a single player game so I don't really care but let's call a spade a spade.

I don't understand why in Xenonauts manufacturing is so different then in oryginal game. I'm limited by cash to build weapons, while I believe I should be limited by alien materials and components. Here we don't have components at all. Just alien alloys and alenium.

And hicks in Africa have laser weapons, while not all my soldier had such weapon. :(

If you fighting with Aliens, materials should be precious, cash should be just addition. And manufactured weapon should be very good bussiness for sale.

YES YES YES YES. THIS.

being completley relevant to this comment and OP I would like to throw my 2 cents in this:

I registered just to seek info on this (more to come) and now I found myself trying to mod the hell out of this (wich is, btw, OSOM).

Im TOTALLY 100000% with xcom vet on this one, Ive extensively played all xcoms/ufos/blablabla and I really like xeno except for this... the moment I saw theres just 2 type of alien materials I got this XCOM:EU feeling again I mean... COMMON, really they streamlined this??

no need for power source? navigation? just alloys?? really? I am so dissapointed about this... and then I saw how this affects the big picture around economy as well.

Im playing veteran, and guys, playing like I did in xcom (original) and xcom:TFTD doesnt work... I have 2 bases with 2 ground teams of 6-8 guys not-completly equipped almost 50% of game (could make plasma just for one) and Im completly ruined money wise... at the point of being unable to keep playing!!

So I also asked myself "what do I do? I have to DO SOMETHING... but I dont want to cheat!" and for me the economy system is broken. Yes. broken, there, I said it. I lost 4 continents in 6 months downing every ufo with 6 aircrafts in 2 diff continents, and doing a gazillion of crash sites... and even had negative budget already by december having just lost 2 continents! (all of sudden hitted march and lost 2 more)...

So, to the OP: YES, DO IT.

I HAD TO mod the items value to almost double (or triple in some adv alien tech) and since it wasnt enough (2000 hours of ground missions later) I had to do it again, when completly desperate, I happened to find out that alenium, which is rare, is 2 bucks worth... yeah thats completly logical... *HUGE SIGH*... So, maintaining the "no item manufacture selling" spirit, I gave MYSELF the chance to sell something of value (knowing off course that I also need it to make weapons, armors, etc, its all about decisions in the end) when I needed more money!... so, yeah give yourself the chance man, if they dont (the devs), at least they gave us the tools and freedom to do it. And while writing this, I get why OP is asking this, because I think we all would prefer freedom IN-GAME than having to alter it to meet our likes outside of it (thats just... weird, its great in one hand, but... its weird, I feel like beta testing it... not cool).

SO alenium for me now values x10 to make in-game money, and overall alien items almost x3 to make ground missions profitable. And you know how that turns out? that encourages me to recover crash sites instead of just click-bombing them (boring, 50k average against 200k otherwise)... which encourages research and making better weapons, tanks and armours, which encourages to try them in battle... see the circle there? JUST LIKE XCOM did, AND I cannot exploit selling alenium! because theres not that much, AND I need it.

Personal thought: So instead of freedom they striped away completly any "money making" vs alien-item-insufficency decision leaving money only depending on founding (you cant rely on 50k airstrikes, for a 2M budget)... which is, in my humble opinion, a lazy restrictive decision. Lazy, because I feel as if the devs just said "hey, no cheating here" removed any ingame economy selling or whatsoever, and leave us absolutley unable to control our economy... and thats not not not cool.

Original xcoms were all about freedom! in almost every aspect of the game! thats why I believe that everyone here prefers something like xeno instead of that uber-funny-and-addictive blasphemy of remake that we got from fireaxis.

In conclussion, I love the game, but I found unnerving to mess it up (aka mod it) to be able to FIX it! but, having the feature already provide me to enhance it and adapt it to my old-style gameplay, and thats terrific on the other hand. I just would loved to see it ressemble more to the old micromanagment (YES I WANT MORE!) and stick to the old selling whatever you want mode :(

Peace out!

ps: sorry for grammar errors, im from loser argentina!

I have to really disagree. The economy in the original xcom was what was broken, because after a month or two neither resources nor money was ever a concern. Crash sites gave so much money you never had to worry about it. Yeah, you could manufacture for profit, but it's not like you really needed to.

In Xenonauts, on the other hand, you have to think about what you're doing with your money. You didn't, and that's why you got into trouble financially. You actually have to consider whether its worth hiring extra scientists to get new techs faster, or whether you're better off expanding air coverage or building more advanced weapons. That's exactly the sort of decision you should have to make.

If manufacturing for a profit were an option, they would have reduced the money from other sources (like crash sites) so you'd simply be forced to do it.