Safe use of mods . How to

Templer

I'm not a big computer expert.

If I decide to test a mod and install it (I will succeed here), how do I install a mod so that I can uninstall it if I not like it or for other reasons, without me having to install the whole game again after uninstalling and can continue to use the vanilla version again?

kabill's list of mods (in the sticky section) lists currently active mods and the files they alter, so you know which files to backup.

This is true, but there's varying degrees of accuracy and with the bigger mods I just didn't bother, because they change a lot more than I can fit in the little cell.

I guess it's probably a good idea to add some instructions outlining this or a guide as Mikhail suggests. Although perhaps Steam Workshop integration will help with this somewhat?

Finding the steam folder is easy enough.

Right click the game name in the steam library, go to properties, local files, then click browse local files.

Another way to keep your original game files safe is just to copy the whole xenonaut folder and only use mods in one of them.

If you want to revert back just copy the folder back over.

You can even play a vanilla game alongside a modded one if you want to compare.

I think some kind of pictorial with clear steps defined is needed, and stickied up top. Basic stuff like where to find the steam game folder, how to copy it to a new location - something foolproof

That is an excellent idea.

For a lot of people here on the forums playing with files is second nature, and I think they almost take it for granted that everybody out there is comfortable with this, too. They're not. I'm one of the players that is relatively clueless