Why do people like this game so much?

Yeah, there's a certain amount adjustment required before you get into the game. The graphics are acceptable but nothing special, and it can take a little while to get used to the intricacies of how it all works.

Also, bear in mind that some people just don't like certain games - it's not necessarily a slight on the game nor that person's taste in games. There's a number of critically acclaimed games that I thought would be right up my street, but I didn't enjoy them as much as expected....perhaps that has / will happen to you with Xenonauts? Nothing wrong with it if so.

I think you hit the nail on the head. For me, it's just not even remotely engaging. There's no story, no characters, nothing. If it played like an arcade game, it would be acceptable, but for this kind of depth and strategy, some lead in would add a lot of atmosphere. As it stands, I start the game, I watch time tick, go after a couple of UFOs here and there, and next thing I know I'm on the ground going in several directions at once for no particular reason.

I can understand where not having a linear storyline can help, as it does become frustrating in X-com when you know exactly what turn it's going to take and when. Having something a bit more open ended is very exciting.

I tried playing it again, and I just can't get through the first ground battle. Part of my frustration is the seeming lack of balance between the alien capabilities and the human capabilities. Maybe I'm just not thinking strategically enough, but when shots come out of nowhere, and kill all of my guys, it's pretty frustrating. I also haven't figured out why they so rarely shoot back.

Like Chris said, this game won't appeal to all people, nothing against them or the game. I personally would draw a strong analogy to chess. Each side, you and the ETs, have certain units with certain capabilities that you try to outmaneuver against one another in a turn-based environment. If you don't like thinking in somewhat impersonal analytical ways, or are simply tired after a long day at work and just want to kick back and have some fun, then Xenonauts might not be up your alley...

i play table top games, more specifically Infinity the game. this suit my fancy as it has many of the same gameplay features as infinty, but with a waaay reduced setup time per match :D.

that's one reason. the other reason is i love turn based tactics game such as advance wars and fire emblem. the ground combat portion of xenonauts tweaks all the right knobs just so....

I think you hit the nail on the head. For me, it's just not even remotely engaging. There's no story, no characters, nothing. If it played like an arcade game, it would be acceptable, but for this kind of depth and strategy, some lead in would add a lot of atmosphere. As it stands, I start the game, I watch time tick, go after a couple of UFOs here and there, and next thing I know I'm on the ground going in several directions at once for no particular reason.

I can understand where not having a linear storyline can help, as it does become frustrating in X-com when you know exactly what turn it's going to take and when. Having something a bit more open ended is very exciting.

I tried playing it again, and I just can't get through the first ground battle. Part of my frustration is the seeming lack of balance between the alien capabilities and the human capabilities. Maybe I'm just not thinking strategically enough, but when shots come out of nowhere, and kill all of my guys, it's pretty frustrating. I also haven't figured out why they so rarely shoot back.

OP please correct if I'm wrong but in your first post when you mentioned that you had played X-Com before Xenonauts, I think judging by your comments you are talking about X-Com: Enemy Unknown which is the game released in 2012 by Firaxis. I am thinking that you perhaps don't realise that Xenonauts is NOT based on that game, but is actually based off a game released in (I think) 1994, called X-Com: UFO Defence in the US, and UFO: Enemy Unknown in the EU and AUS.

Unless I've missed it, I think this is a big source of your confusion. Many of us who love Xenonauts loved the original game from 20 years ago.

The more recent X-Com: Enemy Unknown that you have played is a re-imagining of the original, but Xenonauts literally is a direct remake of the original, or to put it another way, Xenonauts is the same game done better.

I hope this helps.

That's how I felt when I played x-com terror from the deep back in the 90's. I was perhaps 12 years old, so I was patient and persistant in understanding the game. I learned proper tactics and strategy for the soldiers, and then the game became fun. Xenonauts is a squad-based game, and if you're not into ground combat and smallarms (or are new to them), you will find the game frustrating or uninteresting. You have to move slow, use cover and windows, and provide support with the LMG/Sniper. Grenades are very important too. And make sure you use the right-click-look to get a good field of view from each soldier.

I've only put 3 hours into the game so far, but I love the graphics. The map pack is a must to download. Other than that, I find the game somewhat rich in terms of story. I mean you have to read all the stuff in xenopedia, and imagination fills in the rest. Big thumbs down for no ambient noise though. I played TFTD without music - never cared to hear the same track over and over. And when you turn off the music in that game, you can hear the ambient sounds of underwater et cetera. But in xenonauts, nothing.

Edited by cleft_asunder

When reading this thread I feel bad for Firaxis. A lot of members here seem to dislike Enemy Unknown despite it being a really awesome game, even if it's not identical to the older X-Coms. I still enjoyed that game a lot.

I'm also on the verge of buying Xenonauts, I don't know if I should wait until there are more patches out there.

When reading this thread I feel bad for Firaxis. A lot of members here seem to dislike Enemy Unknown despite it being a really awesome game, even if it's not identical to the older X-Coms. I still enjoyed that game a lot.

I'm also on the verge of buying Xenonauts, I don't know if I should wait until there are more patches out there.

How needs patches if the game is completely stable already?

You didmt see the amount of mods posted in this forum?

You can even imagine....

Watch on HD

PART 1

PART 2

This game is basically the pro version of XCOM (enemy unknown). It is a shame that it has some very unpleasant bugs (look in the bugs subforum).

I installed it...poof....it only took me 4 min to have a crash to the desktop and that's on a rock solid Windows 7 system that didn't even get Skyrim to crash in 300+ hours, plus numerous other games. So I did a search on the forum with the word crash: I was shocked! You can expect that many bugs on a forum with a triple A game, but not with a game like this that isn't very popular, confirmed by the forum which has only 8,000 members.

As for the game, it seems to have potential and I actually like the graphics, but people are exaggerating a bit, it's doesn't have the kind of brilliance and depth that the best Paradox games have, it's pretty shallow if you ask me, although I could see myself having fun with it... once it stops crashing...sigh.

Edited by JohnD

As for the game, it seems to have potential and I actually like the graphics, but people are exaggerating a bit, it's doesn't have the kind of brilliance and depth that the best Paradox games have, it's pretty shallow if you ask me, although I could see myself having fun with it... once it stops crashing...sigh.

So long as you understand that this game is a direct remake of a now 20 year old game. It's not meant to compete with the most in-depth strategy games of today, it's meant to modernise a classic. A job it doesn't brilliantly, coming from someone who spent many hours playing the original in the mid 90's.

Don't get me wrong if it's not your thing then great. Just checking with you that you're seeing it for what it is, rather than what it isn't, if that makes sense ;p

Dont feel bad for Firaxis, they made enough money off it, its a great game, has a lot of detail, but no content. As for buying xenonauts... If you actually want to buy, now is as good a time as any. It has many flaws, but Im still playing it like crazy.

There are some bugs still present(in spite of that chris says theyre gone), but it is stable. I didnt crash once in the last 100 hours of gameplay. Its the funny angles and an ocassional invulnerable soldier(I met 1 per 2 ingame months) you should watch out for.

Edit: Oh and the psionics suck :D

I know it sounds kind of minor but do you rename your soldiers as people you know? Do you put yourself in the game? It's important to do this I think. Although the same applies to what I am about to say. You will get to know your men. But, like is real life, it takes time.

So, what do I like about it so much?

I've rarely played a game where I feel so much attachment to my characters. And, crucially, where their existence is so fragile. And where their death is so much your fault so often. Silly. Little. Mistakes. Cost. Lives. "Why did I rush?"

If you've only played half of one mission I'd really strongly recommend persevering. These 'characters/friends' will emerge after a few missions I promise you. I guarantee after a couple of hours - if you don't cheat by saving too often - you will feel a real sense of loss and of satisfaction and loyalty. That's rare in games especially these days. Because people THINK they want cosy. They THINK want average and safe. They think they want to be spoon fed. But in reality we don't. That's why Game of Thrones has been so refreshing I would guess. Because of it's brutality. It makes you fall in love with characters and then they are cruelly and meaningless and unfairly taken away from you.

After a few missions real heros emerge, real clowns too - guys who never let you down with that crucial last ditch shot. Guys who miss every shot but somehow always survive. You find out that your mom is a master with a sniper rifle. (who knew?!) Your dog gets killed. Your dog man. It's brutal. I have a one year old daughter. I'd NEVER name her as a character. I'd never risk her. She's be a burden to the others because I'd protect her and give her the best armour etc.

The thing that made the original Xcom arguably the greatest game ever (it's number one or top ten on many respected lists of this kind), and makes Xenonauts a fine, respectful and in many ways vastly improved 'remake', is the utter horror and brutality of seeing your wife killed because you made a mistake or just by a lucky long range shot or because she threw a grenade against a tree and vaporised her idiotic self.

All truly great games that have stood the test of time (not just computer games but sports too) are brutal and, at times, unfair. Cruel. And all the more beautiful for it.

Don't let the 'functional' graphics put your off. They don't matter. They serve their purpose. (and actually improve a lot as your equipment is upgraded). Don't let the grotesque marketing men at the massive console game companies – who try and bewitch us with shine and polish and fancy explosions and cut scenes and intros – win.

Finally, what I'd say I like about this game so much (the first from an independent and inexperienced games studio) is the potential it promises for the future. The fact a game like this can be made that doesn't try and cater for the mass market and isn't dumbed down gives me a lot of optimism for an even more brutal and cruel future.

Edited by Mustang Shooting Stars
silly typos

I sometimes rename soldiers, yes. But cetainly not after friends and family. The fact that some of the guys survive the impossible odds each ground combat presents and live to reach Commander ranks, must be one of the main reasons I still play. :)

How about a great game with good graphics... or is that asking too much? :D

I sometimes rename soldiers, yes. But cetainly not after friends and family. The fact that some of the guys survive the impossible odds each ground combat presents and live to reach Commander ranks, must be one of the main reasons I still play. :)

How about a great game with good graphics... or is that asking too much? :D

I think maybe it is asking too much, sadly! I don't know for sure.. but I am guessing great graphics are expensive and take a lot of time. So there has to be a trade off - ie you can either have depth and a decent AI or pretty graphics.

The other games I like all have 'poor' or functional graphics but make up with it with depth. I've recently enjoyed Mount & Blade Warband, Crusader Kings II and Dark Souls but not for the graphics so much :)

...So I did a search on the forum with the word crash: I was shocked! You can expect that many bugs on a forum with a triple A game, but not with a game like this that isn't very popular, confirmed by the forum which has only 8,000 members...

What? Are you serious about that?

"You can expect bugs on a triple A+ game....but not with a game like this (=Xenonauts)..."

So you expect and/or accept bugs on a game that is expensive to buy?

But an indie game should not be allowed to have that?

Wrong. Totally wrong!

If there is money involved (that's what triple A means) there should be a quality department/division involved. Period.

If its code verification, game testing on many different machines or intensive alpha and beta testing with some community behind, that doesn't matter.

That would be as if you buy a Porsche and only one of five gears is accessible and the left back tyre is half the size. But this is ok, you have paid loads of money to it and can't drive properly, but its Porsche.

And your neighbour has a small Skoda, man what a wreck, the digital clock is not working. How could he drive with this around to Northpole to Southpole and be content for the 10 month he owns it.

Gahh!!!!

It seems that people nowadays expect to have unfinished products delivered and be content with it.

Yes, and software is a product too! Not only things you can touch.

For me as an engineer this is total failure and even some part of disrespect. Money at all costs and instantly. Who gives a f... if the product is working as long as we have the money in our pocket soon enough.

Don't get me wrong, they should get money, but not for junk.

But customers can do something against this behaviour. That is why I did not and will not buy Enemy Within addon.

...phew...furious rage dimishes....phew...

Sorry if this was to enthusiastic, but I simply detest such attitude.

So you expect and/or accept bugs on a game that is expensive to buy?

For me as an engineer this is total failure and even some part of disrespect.

Money at all costs and instantly. Who gives a f... if the product is working as long as we have the money in our pocket soon enough.

That seems to be the trend these days though. Even Skyrim had quite few bugs when it was released. It crashed regularly on me until the first or second patch. Even Microsoft is better at quality control than most game companies. I only hope this attitude about quality doesn't start to creep into places where it can kill people, like nuclear plants and airplanes. They used to build things to work and last, but that's been on the downslide for a long time now. All that seems to matter anymore is price.

@StellarRat

Yes I have the same impression and fears.

Have you heard about all the cars Toyota had to call back in the recent time? The cause is that they have changed management and it had cut down quality control drastically. What deaths this all (among others: gas pedal problems) has caused, was not in the news though.

During my study one of professor told me about his time in silicon valley as "time to market" changed into "time to money". It took some time to arrive elsewhere, but today no one seems to be interested in the results of this: Broken, unfinished..ok, next year I buy the new model that will "definitely" fix these issues.