Please, help me decide.

Hey guys,

Basically, I am thinking of getting this game, however, i have some questions that maybe one of you kind souls can help me find the answers to.

First off, I haven't played the Original series. My only experience with X-COM is the Firaxis version which I like very very much. That said, I do enjoy difficult games (I can't play XCOM-EW without making the difficulty "Impossible").

I have seen some gameplay videos, however, they didn't answer some of the questions about things that are important to me. How are the models in Xenonauts? If I for example have a body armor or a helmet or even a different weapon, does the model change or you will always have the same old blue suits and its just the stats that change? Are there a lot of different maps (I have read somewhere that the maps aren't too different from each other and the variety of them is lacking)? Is there a cover system and how intuitive is it?

Thanks!

1) Each weapon and armour type has its own sprites. So yes, not so long into the game you'll have soldiers wandering round in non-blue coveralls.

2) There's not a huge number of maps in the game (by which I mean, there's enough, but if you play the game a lot you'll get used to them quickly), but there's already an excellent map pack produced by Skitso which you can download which doubles (I think) the number of early game maps. There's also my own random map pack, which is still WIP and has some minor issues with it, but that adds lots of new map layouts using randomly chosen assets. In any case, there's a map editor packaged with the game, meaning a) you can make your own maps; and b) there will likely be many more maps to add to the game in the future.

3) Yes, there is a cover system. I can't tell you how intuitive it is, because I've been playing the game for long enough now that it's certainly intuitive to *me*. But for a new player, I don't know. Basically, if there's something in the way of a shot, there's a chance that thing will stop the shot (unless the soldier firing is right next to the prop, in which case they can fire over it). EDIT: It's kind of like Firaxis XCOM, except you don't need to be adjacent to cover for it to protect you. Corners are more complicated; don't expect them to work like the Firaxis XCom.

EDIT: *Whispers* Buy the game.

Edited by kabill

What's unintuitive about the cover system? The LOS system can be unintuitive at times, but the cover system seems perfectly intuitive to me - objects between a soldier and an enemy may block bullets, stronger objects like cars do it better than wooden tables, and that's basically it.

Regarding the cover system as a new player i find it reasonably intuitive. It takes a bit of getting used to since it does not have the shield icons from firaxis xcom to tell you exactly whats happening all the time. It works mostly the same though and personally I like it better without the shield icons anyway.

The armor is very well done in my opinion. Besides that each weapon (including shields) and armour having its own sprites they look cool and specific roles have specialized armor that adds some nice diversity to your team both in looks and tactical capabilities during missions. Trust me, you won't have any trouble finding finding your shield guy or the heavy weapons guys just by looking at them :).

If you enjoy XCom series you'll love this game! For sure.

Plus you have other added bonus. The vanilla game is awesome but this game has something in particular, can be easy modded.

After you play the game a lot you can found lot of material and content in Modding section of this forum. Did you want random maps? Did you want Dynamic Ufo invasion? Did you want a only ballistic weapons? Did you want a increible aircombat experience? Did you want new aliens for the game? Did you want more maps? Modders here give you all of this and much more!

For 20 box? Is a safe inversion! Give it a try!

I'm going to answer a question you haven't asked, as it's one hella important question that will trip you up as you're coming from EU2012:

"What's the geoscape like?"

The most important thing that I could tell you is that the geoscape and funding mechanisms are RADICALLY different to EU2012. You have to keep in good with the funding blocs because that monthly paycheque you get is so much more (especially in the early game) than raiding UFOs, which means early expansion is vital. The air war is as important as the ground war - you have to focus on building up your squadrons or you will loose. In a way, it's like needing to crank out satellites early and quickly to get early coverage.

*joins kabill whisper* Buy the game!

the Firaxis game had a few places where line of sight and cover acted funky for me, namely the big landing ships with that central hall way, but that is neither here nor there, a straight up comparison of the cover systems would be about like trying to compare Aztec pyramid building to Chinese lettering( pre standardization ). over all they each have there issues that wont ruin the rest of the experience on there own and if you can pick up the other pretty easy this one should not take much longer for you to get your sea legs with

a sticking point for you is how little the sprites in game do change, while you wont be in the same old blue suit your soldiers will look pretty much identical to each other, other then there personal photo,the upgrades them self are big changes however. firaxis had the added ability to do some minor tweaks and recoloring which was hardly a game changer, but i did enjoy it to help ID my soldiers in battle, of which you will have far more then 6

the lack of map variety is MASSIVELY over blown, even more so if your coming from the firaxis game, which had a abysmal number of maps until the expansion. the maps are however less hold you by the hand with giant neon signs telling you where aliens going to pop up and more just a map that has aliens on it playing by the same rules you are, this can lead to some maps not appearing to be the magical snow flake that people want when the aliens don't do what you think they should. combine that with community map packs and you will be drowning in maps, assuming your not the guy who shot down his nine thousandth light scout and is going to complain that he saw this map already PS RNG some times sucks and you roll the same map again, all hail the dice.

now for some small points that might be worth a note, in Firaxis xcom you played super troopers with magic abilitys and deformed claws instead of hands so they where required to only use one type of weapon, this leads to a "role" acting a lot more like a cookie cutter instead of a real choice system, in xenonaunts all roles are the same human with "stuff" for quickly changing equipment , all that freedom is also an open door to bring a lot of stuff that sucks if you use it wrong, but this also leads to your end game not really being massively departed from your beginning, getting shot in the face still kills people, dont get me wrong you get new toys and better troops its just nothing on the level of arc-angle Dtap snipers killing the entire map from 12 screens away, if that is where a lot of the fun for you is at; xenonaunts might not be for you, but if tactics and not stats are what you think win a fight then this might be the game for you

My advice about cover that will save you a lot of frustration is never put your troops in a position where they need that cover to shot block in order to survive. Never rely on cover completely, retreat and block LoS if you cannot kill an alien on your turn, and leverage a support weapon (I.E. Either a LMG, Shotgun, or Sniper rifle) to take it out next turn, or set up reaction fire if it moves into your LoS. Aliens can and will shoot your guys no matter what cover they've got, and relying on it will just make you rage. Never assume that a piece of cover will keep you alive. Rely on breaking LoS and superior firepower where you can leverage it.

My main problem in the firaxis game is the limitations they put on you presumably to balance the game. I could not go through another play through because I keep on thinking 'why can't they have more than one dropship? Only a squad of six km etc etc'.

Xenonauts may seem a bit more intimidating at first due to lack of hand holding but offers you much more freedom to do things your way.

Another thing to note is that you can't use psionics.

the lack of map variety is MASSIVELY over blown, even more so if your coming from the firaxis game, which had a abysmal number of maps until the expansion. the maps are however less hold you by the hand with giant neon signs telling you where aliens going to pop up and more just a map that has aliens on it playing by the same rules you are, this can lead to some maps not appearing to be the magical snow flake that people want when the aliens don't do what you think they should. combine that with community map packs and you will be drowning in maps, assuming your not the guy who shot down his nine thousandth light scout and is going to complain that he saw this map already PS RNG some times sucks and you roll the same map again, all hail the dice.

I don't know... I'm not sure the Firaxis XCom had many maps *after* the expansion either.

(I love the game to bits, but I couldn't help feeling cheated about the 'new' maps in the expansion, since several of them were in fact old maps that had some small adjustments and the spawn-point changed. Felt a little disingenuous, especially as they *removed some of the original maps as well*).

In terms of maps in Xenonauts, I actually think the major problem is they're subdivision into different tilesets. There's actually plenty of maps for a playthrough, but if you have a base in an area that's only really drawing from two of the tilesets, then you're more likely to get repeats because you're drawing from what amounts to a very small pool. So on aggregate, it's not so bad, but it can sometimes feel like there's a small number of maps early in the game due to a small number of UFO types and tilesets.

(But, as has been said already, community maps!)

I don't know... I'm not sure the Firaxis XCom had many maps *after* the expansion either.

(I love the game to bits, but I couldn't help feeling cheated about the 'new' maps in the expansion, since several of them were in fact old maps that had some small adjustments and the spawn-point changed. Felt a little disingenuous, especially as they *removed some of the original maps as well*).

In terms of maps in Xenonauts, I actually think the major problem is they're subdivision into different tilesets. There's actually plenty of maps for a playthrough, but if you have a base in an area that's only really drawing from two of the tilesets, then you're more likely to get repeats because you're drawing from what amounts to a very small pool. So on aggregate, it's not so bad, but it can sometimes feel like there's a small number of maps early in the game due to a small number of UFO types and tilesets.

(But, as has been said already, community maps!)

Although that is fixable if someone ignores realism and truly blends tileset areas by breaking down the colors to much smaller parcels.

the expansion only bumped up the total number of maps from abysmal to meh "70 unique missions" was a box blerb if i remember right, which includes all the council and story missions, over all really guts any thing like map diversity in my mind, added to the fact that aliens are just kinda spawned around you instead of "truly on the map" makes for a less then interesting map dynamic, for me at least, then again i played firaxis xcom a lot like i play Pokemon the random skills/meld magic options added a lot for me RNGing for the perfect team fun

Having played the original and the new one including the Enemy Within add on...

The new one is very much fun but it lacks. To me it's "X Com for Dummies..." I keep expecting to see that (in)famous yellow book cover every time I start the game. It's not a bad game by any stretch of my imagination, it just lacks a few things that really make you wonder where it all went wrong that the original game was very clear about.

This game is quite faithful to the original. The best part about that IMO is that it both requires and allows for a much more thorough use of the cranial cavity, and it rewards you with a much better strategic play experience. That's what the Firaxis game took out, the "strategery..." The depth. This game is still the tactical shooter, it just adds some really good gravy.

My only bone of contention with either version of the old school game is map rotation and hidden things/tiles. It's a pain. One I get used to and live with, but still, it's a pain.

Actually I'd have to consider the "odds" when making a shot as well, but that applies equally to both games. Missing 2 85% Sniper Double Taps in a row feels downright moronic but is no worse than missing 95% shotgun blasts here at point blank range. But then you read about some police shoot out where the assailant and a couple officers were 10 feet from each other, everyone emptied their clips and no one hit anything even closely resembling a body part. Or the time a guy got shot 7 times and walked away before he could be apprehended. That and we always like to pretend we didn't get the 20% kills more times than we should have...

Bottom line from someone who shouldn't have a clue..:

It's $20 on Steam.

It'll give you as much fun as the "other" X Com game does and then some.

It will certainly give you more fun than a trip to the movies or a visit to McDonalds.

There's a heck of a lot of things far worse than this to spend the money on, none of them will give you half the satisfaction this will once you get the hang of it.

Listen to the whispers... :cool:

_