Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The new guy: A.I. Developer #42 & Discussion on A.I.

Quote Originally Posted by Gijs-Jan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeraan
    What is your opinion on Xenonauts? Does it capture that atmosphere from X-Com?
    As for MoO, you should check this out (shameless plug): Beyond Beyaan
    I'm looking forward to your journals, I hope it will help me implement a better AI, since there's not too many resources on a turn-based AI!
    Congrats on making the game! Also, for games of that magnitude I would really recommend Monte-Carlo Tree Search.
    It's well suited for AI's of this task, as it's prime focus is large domains where the eventual outcome of a strategy is much more important than the intermediate steps.
    (I.e.: nothing might really happen for 300 turns, but the end-game difference is huge)
    If you need any help or tips on it; just PM me.

As for the atmosphere: Else I wouldn't have joined the team :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Name
    Will the ai be able to learn...... Ei
    Will the A.I. adapt to a tactical situation like you described? It should.
    Would it learn based on your performance; i.e. would it make a different choice when presented with the exact same situation twice?
    For the 9th of October? No, sorry.

However; I'm with the project at least up until January, almost fulltime.
    And it IS something I (very) briefly discussed with Chris, and it is something I have constructed before. (For Battlecode )

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom
    Will there be any difference in the AI on the different difficulty levels or will that be up to the stats of aliens, armours and weapons?
    If everything goes as planned, it shouldn't be to difficult to make the AI behave differently on different difficulty levels (3x diff combo-breaker!).
    That.... sounds bloody awesome.
    Last edited by Gorlom; 08-23-2012 at 21:02.

Quote Originally Posted by StellarRat View Post
    Among the best-known expert systems have been those that play chess and that assist in medical diagnosis"
    Funnily enough, our second-year project was an expert system based on Bayesian Networks (A system that gives a prediction using probabilities; I.e.: if the grass is wet, either it probably rained, or you turned the hose on). Which was a 2-phase system: first the system would "learn" to recognize the disease by it's symptoms. Then it would be tasked to diagnose patients.

You see these systems employed on the internet nowadays. Fun fact: even though they outperform doctors in diagnostics by far (in terms of error rate); you won't see them employed any day soon. People just don't trust a computer with that kind of task :-)

Funnily enough, our second-year project was an expert system based on Bayesian Networks (A system that gives a prediction using probabilities; I.e.: if the grass is wet, either it probably rained, or you turned the hose on). Which was a 2-phase system: first the system would "learn" to recognize the disease by it's symptoms. Then it would be tasked to diagnose patients.

You see these systems employed on the internet nowadays. Fun fact: even though they outperform doctors in diagnostics by far (in terms of error rate); you won't see them employed any day soon. People just don't trust a computer with that kind of task :-)
    "This unit must survive...." ;-)

If I were a doctor I'd "consult" with my expert system in the back office then tell the patient what "my" diagnosis was. You get the best of both worlds then.
    Last edited by StellarRat; 08-23-2012 at 21:02.

So... if the grass was wet, the patient was diagnosed with the flu?

We saw the system produce stranger things :-P
    It would learn solely based on statistics, and not really "know" anything on what it was learning.
    I.e. If A occurred a lot, when B did as well, well, then maybe they were related the system assumed!

And that was the day the expert system said breast cancer was caused by a clear blue sky :-/

Based on the available input, it's obvious!

Wet grass (it was hot enough to turn the hose on) -> diagnosis is sunburn.

Watching computers "learn" the world is pure comedy. A brain the size of a planet... and not the good sense god gave a goose.

But that's the fun part of AI programming. To teach the AI to understand the situation. How much is a position worth? How much is staying out of the line of fire worth? Own survival? The mission objective? Keeping the other side from reaching the objective?
    Figuring out what to do about it is not so bad after that.
    Until the AI starts happily running back and forth because these two positions score the most points. Owell.
    Last edited by Gazz; 08-23-2012 at 21:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    [...] Until the AI starts happily running back and forth because these two positions score the most points. Owell.
    Thresholding function! Or just plain assign a slight positive value to your current location.

G-J (if I may call you that). Have you ever seen any enemy a.i. in RPGs worth a damn?

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Caine View Post
    G-J (if I may call you that). Have you ever seen any enemy a.i. in RPGs worth a damn?
    No prob. Do you mean combat-wise?
    I can't really think of examples that spring out; although I know people that designed (learning) combat A.I.'s for Neverwinter Nights.

The problem with game A.I. is that the game industry has become very, very good at creating "good enough" A.I. (An almost direct quote of Alex from GameAIDev.com). There's not much incentive to construct A.I. for the hordes of goblins that will only be on screen for a couple of seconds, or A.I. that is practically invincible. :-)

In other terms, there are games like Dwarf Fortress where aspects of "A.I." (I'm using the term extremely liberal now) really contribute to the game.

Great to finally have an AI coder. Welcome to the forum.

Will you be doing any work on the air battle mechanics or are those mostly done?