Bugs / Issues in Xenonauts V1.0

This thread is a list of the crashes, hangs and other game-breaking bugs in Xenonauts V1.0 that we are working on fixing.

- Soldier Equip screen crash. This happens randomly when you try to load the Soldier Equip screen, with no known reproduction steps.

- The game does not autosave at the start of a mission any more.

- Main menu background screen doesn't display correctly if you have a slow hard drive.

- Unrevealed tiles on the map are often not clickable (so you can't path to them)

- There is a crash associated with moving simultaneously on two different camera levels (or is likely to be, as we've not fixed it...if anyone can confirm this in 1.0 or has a save game it'd be appreciated).

We are planning to consolidate several of these fixes into a patch in the next few days, which we'll probably test out on the Experimental branch first to ensure they do not introduce problems of their own!

Right, I've met the ammo bug, which I think might be connected to the equipment screen CTD, spent a few hours trying to get repro steps, to no avail. Here were the circumstances in detail:

1-First light scout mission in the game.

2-It happened with no reloads into the mission, in a single go. Though I saved at end of every turn.

3-The soldier with the lowest index (2) that is holding a pistol spent 2 poistol ammo, didn't kill any aliens. So I presume this was the 'first' pistol in the mission.

4-No soldiers lost, no wounded, no healing took place.

5-Took the Ufo, then killed all but the last alien on the map.

6-Mission ends after 5 turns, charlie returns home, click equipment screen.

7-All 4 pistols held by soldiers display 13/15 ammo, the pistol ammo of the soldier 2. I checked and others had different ammo in the mission so its certain.

8-I made a save after the mission while charlie was on its way home.

This was completely reproducable every time both by loading into the end of the mission or loading the after mission save. Both yielded the same bug when charlie returned home. But reproduction possiblity is certainly lost after closing and reopening the game exe.

I played through the mission total of 5 times each both by loading into it, or loading to geoscape just before, being careful to maintaining the above circumstances in each, no reloading otherwise. Wasn't possible to encounter it again in any way.

I deducted that this happens in the mission so loading the after mission save always yielded the error before game engine was closed. I think somehow all pistols in all soldiers get referenced to the one held by the first soldier so that they show the same ammo. They can be reloaded in the equipment screen but giving a new pistol to anyone also shows the 13/15 ammo. I believe if I lost a certain soldier, perhaps that soldier(2) perhaps other one with pistol, equipment screen might have given that CTD, the circumstances are so similar. Last build I got a Equip CTD just after the first mission, yet again no repro after restart. This bug is not specific to pistols, I got it with shotguns, laser pistols and shields too.

I hope these help somehow. I just deleted all those trial saves where I unsuccessfully tried to repro. It just wasn't possible after closing the engine and reopening.

Extreme badluck or is this alien just impossible to harm with ballistic weapons?

There are some smoke involved and I cannot get a red target over the alien.

I figure my soldiers just aimed the ground.. ?

(edit: Smoke not the cause of the bug by the looks of it, found another without smoke)

I have played the game 450hours and just saying this was confusing :D

The alien was impossible to harm unless I used explosives.

In anycase my first mission was a slaughter :P

Here is a video how the last alien slaughtering all of my men while I miss with everything unless I use explosives.

Eventually the alien moves away from the tile and my ballistic shots start to work.

[video=youtube_share;0uyDOA-hcS4]http://youtu.be/0uyDOA-hcS4

Video is hidden.

Edited by Tascruel

That doesn't look like an official map to me, a333.

Tascruel, thanks. That video will be helpful to send the programmer given we can't reproduce this using a save game.

Caaygun - thanks, I'll give that a play too.

I've quit the game with ALT-F4 while active in a ground mission, want to restart the game -> Steam tells me: App already running. There's no more 'Xenonauts' in the processes, I cannot even close Steam because it tells me: "Please close Xenonauts first".

Quite annoying. Maybe related with Steam itself and how it handles this. But ... worth to take a look into.

The appearance of Fighters in the first wave also warrants a high-priority fix, IMO. Starting a new game, I get -100k funding change after the first 24 hours in-game. The game basically starts off by cutting a lot of your funding and making you work a lot just to get back to the initial level.

This has happened before and still is, though rarely, and no idea why. Every once in a while I'll go to make something in my workshop, and I can only choose between a quantity of zero or 99. Hit left arrow, zero, right arrow, 99. Then it goes away after a production run or two, and I can select quantities correctly again. Anybody else experience this...?

Edit: Just noticed/remembered that this affects science, too: I can only assign zero or the maximum number of scientists to a project

Edited by dpelectric

Maybe related with Steam itself and how it handles this. But ... worth to take a look into.

Definitely think it's a Steam issue. When I first started playing I launched through Steam and had the same thing happen once or twice. Now I only launch directly from folder on my hard drive and have never experienced the issue again

The appearance of Fighters in the first wave also warrants a high-priority fix, IMO

Are you playing the latest version? According to Chris:

Ah you're right actually, Fighters do appear in the first wave. I'm going to stealth patch the game for that, that's not meant to happen. Must have made a typo somewhere.

Fighters don't appear in the first wave any more, no. They don't appear until ticker value 20. You can still get -$100k on the first wave but that's likely to be down to unlucky RNG rolls.

@dpelectric - it's probably because you've been using the Ctrl key, which assigns max and minimum. I think if you hold it then let go it'll still assign max / min to your next arrow click or something.

@silenced - I'm not sure we can do much about that, I'm afraid.

Note that large funding loss first month has been present for awhile on the experimental builds as well. With the knowledge of prior fighter hit probably influenced your analysis of the situation a bit - and even during the first wave problem, lot of posters on that thread had no problem with recovery so I think it's not a critical matter if at all. I actually like it since it further lends to the theme where initial situation is desperate.

I've encountered these black tiles a few times. This happens in the vanilla maps (I verified the integrity of the game files a few times to make sure).

That won't actually remove new maps from the game, as it only replaces files which have been modified. If you want to remove non-vanilla maps, you need to completely wipe the game and reinstall or (quicker) delete the map folder first them validate.

(You may have done so; just pointing it out in case you didn't).

That won't actually remove new maps from the game, as it only replaces files which have been modified. If you want to remove non-vanilla maps, you need to completely wipe the game and reinstall or (quicker) delete the map folder first them validate.

(You may have done so; just pointing it out in case you didn't).

Thanks, I was actually wondering that. I haven't actually deleted the folder, but because my other mods (mainly Lore+ and the various armor models) were deleted I assumed the maps would as well.

However, this bug happened in another map before I installed the map pack. I remember installing it a few months ago too... I suppose that is what caused the issue in the first place. Woops.

I'm pretty much certain that anyone with the black tiles issue needs to delete their /maps/ folder and all the problems will go away. Steam only checks the game files, not other new files that happen to be in the same directory (like custom maps).

During one of my missions, one of my xenonauts was listed as killed at the debriefing, and actualy turned out to be lost, although i am sure no xenonaut died during that mission.

Possible causes:

1.) The xenonaut in question was caught in the blast of a (friendly) rocket, that exploded on the floor above him. Maybe tied to the "gibbed soldiers do not resurrect" bug-fix?

2.) I won that mission by holding the UFO for 5 turns.

EDIT:

3.) He was holding C4. I don't think that's the cause, but who knows, might be related to the C4 detonating on impact stuff.

Also, not sure if bug:

Flashbangs trigger C4 on ground. I know it's intended for normal explosives, but i was a bit supprised about flashbangs.

Edited by spacebug

I won a ground mission and no soldiers died, but one was injured. There was another crash site nearby so sent Charlie-1 straight there rather than back to back and my injured soldier had vanished.

I've experienced a large number of crash-to-desktop from the Geoscape, I haven't watched closely whether I was trying to go to Research or Workshop or Soldiers but definitely one of those buttons from the geoscape bring a quick crash; not always, but often enough to be annoying.

Soldiers lose TUs when spotting aliens.

Try to path a soldier to a tile, it shows how much Tus will be left. If he spots any aliens along the way, he loses 1 step worth of tus without moving. This happens as many times the soldier loses sight and respots the alien so he may lose many Tus while pathing there.

@dpelectric - it's probably because you've been using the Ctrl key, which assigns max and minimum. I think if you hold it then let go it'll still assign max / min to your next arrow click or something

You're right. I never use the ctrl key when playing, must be hitting it accidentally. One tap fixed it. Thank you.