Antarctica

Seems no reason not to have Artic and an Antarctic strips! Detection may be a big concern, and, they would, consequentially, provide excellent locations for alien bases. This could be a way to challenge players late game.

The artic battlegrounds are already there (of, course, an "ice map" could just be a vast, flat expanse of snow, with a little hill or two).

X-COM (ooops!!! I meant to say, Xenonaut) bases could be put there, but, they should be more expensive and have double build times.

Big problem with Arctic and Antarctic is that land near the poles on this map projection is stretched relative to its actual size. To properly implement them GH will need to:

- implement ufo/aircraft speed increase relative to map the more near the poles they are

- implement radar coverage stretching near poles the same way

- somehow deal with ufo/aircraft flying through poles and appearing on other side of the map

Given that there is not much cities/people/funding countries to protect anyway, it is possibly more hassle to do then it's beneficial to the game.

Yeah, the problem is that it's a flat map so a single base wouldn't be able to cover Antarctica like it would in a map with a 3D globe. We removed it because it was a bit pointless, but also because it made the limitations of our 2D map extremely obvious.

As Chris says remember that you cannot travel over the top and bottom edge of the map as you would be able to with a globe or in real life.

Two points in Antarctica that would actually be less than a mile apart could literally be at opposite ends of the map.

I see... But would you try to connect the loss of Antarctica with a plot. I don't know, something like aliens using a huge vacuum-cleaner-like-thing to deal with people of Earth fast, starting from the South Pole, but with the sacrifice of brave penguins, who will never be forgotten, the machine of doom is out of order and can't be fixed in space. Well, you have a better and more healthy imagination, I'll leave it to you.

Some players have reported having snow tileset missions in odd places so I am guessing that those plucky penguins managed to switch the giant vacuum cleaner into reverse in an homage to every penguins favourite movie, Spaceballs.

Spaceballs: The Flightless Bird!