(Proof of Concept) Destructible UFO Hulls!

kabill

Well, kabill, I'm having this issue in the first turns in my PC even when taking scouts crafts. The game not just take times to load (not that much in fact), but it also lags (take times to respond to commands and animations are not smooth). But the worst part is just after the alien turn... it goes quickly but when my turn is starting the game freeze for an inconvenient time before I can do anything (even scroll). Like 30 seconds or even more sometimes. If it's going on for scout, god, I'm scared of the bigger ones.

I have 8gb RAM, FX-6100 six-core 3.30ghz processor, AMD Radeon 7800 graphiccard and I really think I shouldn't have being experiencing any problem... It's far from a top rig but still a decent one, I think. I'm not like "devs, solve it NOW" since it's not game breaking, but I would be more happy to now if it will be fixed eventually even after the official release. I mean... I would like to know if it's not something that will stay there forever.

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

Well, kabill, I'm having this issue in the first turns in my PC even when taking scouts crafts. The game not just take times to load (not that much in fact), but it lags (take times to respond to commands and animations are not smoth). But the worst part is just after the alien turn... it goes quickly but when my turn is starting the game freeze for an inconvenient time before I can do anything (even scroll). Like 30 seconds or even more. If it's going on for scout, god, I'm scared of the bigger ones.

I have 8gb RAM, FX-6100 six-core 3.30ghz processor, AMD Radeon 7800 graphiccard and I really think I shouldn't have being experiencing any problem... It's far from a top rig but still a decent one, I think. I'm not like "devs, solve it NOW" since it's not game breaking, but I would be more happy to now if it will be fixed eventually even after the official release. I mean... I would like to know if it's not something that will stay there forever.

That's strange. I have no issues on a less powerful machine. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, BTW.

That's strange. I have no issues on a less powerful machine. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, BTW.

Hmmm... I'm also running Windows 7 64-bit. That's strange. My drivers are updated, so maybe there is something wrong with my pc configs. I will try some things and later post here if anything worked.

Hmmm... I'm also running Windows 7 64-bit. That's strange. My drivers are updated, so maybe there is something wrong with my pc configs. I will try some things and later post here if anything worked.

Yeah, your machine sounds pretty close to mine and I don't have any trouble at all. I've 8 rather than 6 cores and a bit higher processing speed, but I can't image Xenonauts is massively optimised for multi-threading so I'd have thought the difference would be fairly negligible.

Maybe it's the graphics cards, I'm running a EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB. I think that's quite a bit more powerful than yours.

Maybe it's the graphics cards, I'm running a EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB. I think that's quite a bit more powerful than yours.

It's a bit strange as in theory the game shouldn't be running at all with my video but it is - I'm not sure that's where Victor's problem lies.

Btw Victor, are you Romanian?

Strictly speaking, yes. It won't break the game, but it clashes with some of the files which have been updated in the new version so you'll need to revert those changes to make the mod work fully.

Can't promise I'll update the mod with the new files for a few days. I was hoping to put Cruisers out with the next version, but they're being a pain which is slowing me down. I might do a quick update; depends on some other things.

So, question time again!

I've made some progress on the Cruiser. Due to the annoying shape of the top hull section, I've ended up trialling a rooftop approach. Turns out my plan worked: I've placed a destructible prop underneath where you need to place the explosive, and it is destroyed and allows access as intended while blocking LoS while in tact. So that's all good.

However, as part of doing this I've been converting the level above into a surface you can walk on. This has worked fine, except for a single layer along the NW and NE edge of the UFO. The problem is that because the UFO hull image falls away there, I can't place floor tiles without allowing Xenonaut soldiers to appear like there standing (rather than flying) in mid-air. However, I need to place something there as otherwise it's possible to see into the UFO from outside.

There's two solutions that I can think of:

1) Just place the ground tiles there, and accept that there will be a few places where soldiers walk on air rather than fly. This has no gameplay effect, but looks a bit lame in those instances.

2) Place the existing 'UFO roof' tiles on those places instead, which block LoS but allow *no* movement onto those tiles at all. This produces the vest effect aesthetically, since you'll never be walking on air. However, it has a small gameplay effect as it would require soldiers to fly over or around those tiles in order to pass them.

Overall, it's relatively minor either way, since the places it affects are usually places you won't be moving to since the UFOs tend to be up on the top end of the map. But I wanted to put it out there to see which solution people think is best, as I'm undecided.

Nope, brazilian. Why do you ask? 'Cause of the latin name or do romanian do the same english errors I do? Haha!

By the way... nothing I tried seems to work to make the game run better... I'm open to suggestions.

It was the name to be honest - but that's fine anyway, was just curious :)

Which version are you playing on?

Just saying: +1 brazilian with poor english here.

Prazer em conhece-lo, Victor. :)

kabill: I have unistalled the mod, even if I love it, because of the lag. I have a good gear here (I run Battlefield 4 with all graphics maxed, no lag), so it is not a hardware problem. Maybe it is a vanilla issue that comes to picture when you put some fire and smoke on the screen, but it is a fixable issue for sure, as the game itself is very light compared to it's generation standards.

Edited by Alexandre Lange

Just saying: +1 brazilian with poor english here.

Prazer em conhece-lo, Victor. :)

kabill: I have unistalled the mod, even if I love it, because of the lag. I have a good gear here (I run Battlefield 4 with all graphics maxed, no lag), so it is not a hardware problem. Maybe it is a vanilla issue that comes to picture when you put some fire and smoke on the screen, but it is a fixable issue for sure, as the game itself is very light compared to it's generation standards.

Vamos dominar a internet... hahaha!

By the way, Alexandre, try to increase the priority of Xenonauts in the Task Menu screen. I'm not sure what worked to me, but the game seens to run fine now and may be it. I will write the details in portuguese for you just in case you dont know what I am talking about. I think it's the new experimental build that worked for me, I dont know.

(broken english + broken english = wait wat?!)

Inicie o gerenciador de tarefas com o Alt+Ctrl+Del com o Xenonauts rodando. Na aba "Processos", clique com o botão direito no Xenonauts e em "Definir Prioridade", coloque "Acima do normal" ou "alta" ("Tempo real" não aconselhável pois pode acabar por travar o pc). Eu não sei se isso realmente funciona, mas meu jogo está rodando bem agora. Eu realmente acho que não foi isso mas vai quê...

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

Sorry to hear that, but it makes sense. As I've said before, I might put together a version without the smoke and fire, but that will have to wait until I've completed the full version.

In other news: Cruisers are more or less done. My plan is to upload a new version tomorrow evening with Cruisers and updated files for v22.9.

Without seeing the problem, I'd go with #2.

Thanks for your response. I've gone with that option in the end, which turned out to be just as well as I've had to be a bit liberal with the roof tiles to ensure LoS is properly blocked going into the UFO. Behind the scenes it's a little messy, but in practice I haven't really noticed.