(Proof of Concept) Destructible UFO Hulls!

kabill

Thought:

C4 upgrades into the Plasma Charge. In principle, I quite like the idea of a similar upgrade to the Breaching Charge, if nothing else then because it feels odd to be using basic equipment when everything else has upgraded. However, I'm not sure what it would do which would make this worthwhile.

Extra damage isn't really an option. The Breaching Charge already one-shots hulls and I'm not interested in changing that as I don't want hull-breaching to become a faffy process where you have to spend several turns to get it to work just because you haven't got the relevant upgrade tech yet. I think that would just be annoying and tedious.

I've been thinking, then, that it might be possible to do something with weight and size. If the Breaching Charge was increased to 2kg, then an upgrade could weight half this and also take up only one inventory square rather than two. So, basically, with the upgrade you could carry twice as many charges for the same space and weight (or just carry something else instead).

Does that seem like a reasonable enough upgrade to make adding it worthwhile? If not, does anyone have any thoughts about what an upgraded charge could do? Or is it just a waste of effort?

EDIT: I've finished the Light Scout and Scout maps, although I've not updated the download link yet. I'll probably wait 'til I've done Corvettes as well before updating.

Since the starting ufo's are quite small and with only few breaching points, you really don't need that many breaching charges with you, so the vanilla breaching charges could be really cumbersome and heavy - like 5kg and fill half a backpack. The alien technology one could be laughable small and light in comparison.

If you need help with item graphics, just ask. :)

Edited by Skitso

That could work. I'd always envisaged breaching charges being relatively small, but I think I have in mind the kind of device you'd use to blast open a doorway, not the super-strong hull of an alien space-craft! So a larger, heavier device actually isn't unreasonable.

So, perhaps something the size of the basic medikit might work (3x2 squares)? 5kg sounds like a good number: it's not overwhelming, but enough that you probably don't want to give one to everyone, especially when you factor in armour.

(Incidentally, my brain has just lept to the idea of a 'melt-ray': a super low-range, high TU gun with massive damage output used for cutting open UFO hulls. It's probably unnecessary, but worth sounding out anyway perhaps.)

EDIT: Graphics are always welcome. I can cut and paste bits of existing assets together and more-or-less change colours on things (e.g. the existing Breaching Charge item), but not a lot more.

You could just make the charge combine more useful breaching properties at higher tech levels.

Similar size and weight but has a wider suppression area or generates cover smoke in addition to the breach.

In principle, it would be cool to do something like that. In practice, however, I don't think it would work.

The issue with suppression is that it will affect your own soldiers as well, at least if you want them close to the breach. One of the main reasons why I made a breaching charge, rather than just using C4, was because I wanted something with a small area of effect that allows you to have troops near to where the breach is formed. Otherwise you end up with a situation where you're getting reaction-fired on as you close on the breach.

(Hmm - on that note, a more advanced charge could possibly be given a smaller area of effect compared with the basic charge, to reduce the distance you need to stand away from the impact tile?)

The smoke idea is good and would get around affecting your own people with something. However, I don't think I can set the smoke radius separate from the blast radius of the charge, meaning the smoke would only affect a very small area (though that could still be useful).

I like it a lot. But yes, I think it's possibly too shiny for basic equipment. It would probably work very well for an upgraded version, but it's size would be a problem if the plan was to have a super-small plasma device.

The general design appeals a lot, though. Reducing the size of the device relative to the timer, and giving it a less shiny finish might well do it (don't know how easy that would be, though).

(I just a go at copy-pasting the darker half of the cylinders onto the lighter half so there's only shine on the very front. I did it in Paint, so it was quite rough, but the darker tone overall I think made it look less future-y. Maybe that's a way to go?)

Update: New version is out and can be downloaded from the OP. Compatible with 22.7 hf2.

Change log:

- Added in maps for Scouts, Corvettes and Landing Ships.

- Added in new images for breaching charges (thanks, Skitso!)

- Rebalanced breaching charges so that they are a lot larger and heavier

- Added in an upgraded breaching charge which is smaller and lighter than the basic one (upgrades off of plasma explosives)

- Rebalanced hull durability up to 1500 hp to emphasise use of breaching charges more (especially now they're heavier)

- Added a Xenopaedia entry for breaching (can only be viewed after Alien Invasion topic is complete, as I can't work out how to make entries visible from game-start).

- Changed the smoke used for crashes to a lighter version so you can see what's going on.

Think that's it. I've not done any extensive testing, so there might be some issues. Don't anticipate anything major though, except maybe with landing ships as I'm not sure I've done the teleporters right. So if you use the mod, save before you do a landing ship mission in case you can't finish it!

Haven't tried the latest version yet, but I can't see the new breaching charge images in the archive?

Damn, thank you. I forgot to copy them into the folder I uploaded.

Everything will still work at the moment, at least until you get up to Plasma Breaching Charges (when there'll probably get CTDs in the equip screen). I'll upload a new version when I get a chance to.