Veteran gameplay balance. I lost the entire South America in month three!

Hi guys!

I was playing some Xenonauts and captured some of my gameplay for few tips and tricks for you guys.

At end of month three I lost the entire funding from the South America! *WHOOPS!

The game is pretty hard, at the moment atleast!

I will post a video of my gameplay of "Kicking the alien ass, and yet losing"

..when I am done with the edit :)

I would love to hear some thought from you guys, about the difficulty of the game currently.

-Tasku

Geoscape is pretty well balanced imo, but ground battle isn't mid game (as in it's too easy once you get laser rifles + wolf armor)

As for the geoscape tactics, well, I haven't experienced that. Key is getting a base up with plenty of interceptors early on.

Also recognizing the types of UFO's from their traveling speed and assigning the proper amount of interceptors. I always start out with a middle east base because of its excellent coverage then build another one in the Caribbean that is basically an interceptor base with a garrison and a chopper encase i really need to attack something.

Early midgame is the hardest part because your facing super strong aliens that will tear you apart and you dont have the proper equipment to deal with them. You just need to really pay attention to the types of UFO's to realize what types of enemies your facing and settup some traps. I tend to leave 2-3 snipers at the end of a firing lane and use my other dudes to try and bait androns/disks/things that cant be suppressed into that lane.

Always have atleast 2 combat shields and make sure they are the first to check that corner because i cannot count the times this has saved my ass.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing with veteran difficulty by myself I always place my second base at the start of month 2 in Mesoamerica. With 3 radar stations and enough interceptors can I control the airspace in all of America :)

With my first in Alexandria and a third (in third month) in Taiwan can I cover the whole planet and the get always extra founds month by month from all nations.

I definitely think the game is not all that difficult IF you have the right strategy and don't play careless ;)

I find that the missile babysitting is ridiculously tedious on Veteran, I'm not sure it is as bad on other settings. 2 high speed interceptors should be able to take a light scout without micromanaging their flight paths and missile firing times.

I find that the missile babysitting is ridiculously tedious on Veteran, I'm not sure it is as bad on other settings. 2 high speed interceptors should be able to take a light scout without micromanaging their flight paths and missile firing times.

Air combat in all difficulties was... tedious and hard

As ViewThePhenom says, autoresolve is the best choice...

I would say the main trouble is building a base in the US or Europe and then finding that the UFOs all spawn in South America or Australia where you can't reach them. Or worse you get hit in your main area constantly so expand that base thus not having the funds to go elsewhere.

Air combat in all difficulties was... tedious and hard

As ViewThePhenom says, autoresolve is the best choice...

Foxtrot loses autoresolve against small scout, it can only be won manually. Also condor can't win autoresolve against 3 fighters, you need to do manual.

So how 'bout those aerial terror missions spawning out of interceptor range?

Whole world can be covered in Foxtrot range with 3 bases. This is required especially in veteran I think. You need them up by end of month 2.