Reaction fire for machineguns Yes/No?

My game seems to hang whenever my MG soldier is about to trigger reaction fire. And it hangs with violent and constant 'tr-tr-tr-tr' sound as if MG fired in infinite loop.

If you haven't already done so, you should post this in the Bug Report section instead; more likely to be picked up and worked on by devs than if it's in a general discussion thread.

Sorry for breaking the line people, but one vote for no. I do not see neither sniper rifle nor heavy weapons as guns capable of reaction fire. Machine gun is already a one turn - one kill weapon and I don't think it requires further boosting. Besides, I imagine more than once that sort of ability would turn against us because of low ammo. Reaction fire empties the clip and there is nothing left for blowing enemy to pieces in your turn.

If we really going to have it, then please also add an option to disable reaction fire for a given soldier.

Hey hold in.... you tell me if dont have sense a stationary machinguner counter enemy advance? The all military movies was wrong!!!! Men your genius....

First of all, not all machineguns are one shot killers, maybe and only MAYBE heavy machineguns.

In other hand SMG and LMG is not one kill wrapon at all....

Speaking of machineguns, what's everyone's opinion on the little droid thing's insane suppression stats? I've just had the misfortune of having my first alien base (in NOVEMBER of all times...) be Androns, and those little bastards keep suppressing my guys so that the damned things can get close. And then suppress them EVEN MORE.

My game seems to hang whenever my MG soldier is about to trigger reaction fire. And it hangs with violent and constant 'tr-tr-tr-tr' sound as if MG fired in infinite loop.
If this is on the v21 Stable H1 build it's a little disappointing. The machinegun hang for reaction fire has been a bug for about 10 builds and REALLY needs to be fixed. I've reported it multiple times and so have other people. You definitely need to post a bug report.

Speaking of machineguns, what's everyone's opinion on the little droid thing's insane suppression stats? I've just had the misfortune of having my first alien base (in NOVEMBER of all times...) be Androns, and those little bastards keep suppressing my guys so that the damned things can get close. And then suppress them EVEN MORE.

have not had to deal with them in bases, but i have noticed that if even 1 pellet of the 10 get anywhere near your troopers its suppression time. not sure how suppression is split up for bursts. if its per pellet or what, i will say this however for how fragile they are i view this as a welcome change. before i ignored them as any thing but a minor threat because of squad sight. so far i have not had any one die because of the scout droids alone.

While I wouldn't exactly be sweating should one of my guys encounter one down a dark alley alone, it's the fact that my entire squad is being pinned down in a room from a single burst from one of them that's causing me to grimace. Especially when it's the first room you assault into.

That being said, assaulting an Andron base on November 16th is surely a sign of masochism...

not sure how suppression is split up for bursts. if its per pellet or what

Can't say this for certain, but I think every bullet in a burst carries the full burst suppression value, but it's only applied once to any target per burst-action. So it doesn't matter if only a single round or several land near a target, they will take the same suppression damage. Hence your comment that a single round from the Light Drone can cause mass suppression.

May well be wrong, though. This is just how I've made sense of what I've observed in game.

Unless something has changed since it was initially added then suppression has nothing to do with the bullets.

When you click to fire a shot the suppression effect is based around where you click.

If ten bullets or none land near the point you aim it doesn't matter.

For bursts this is the same as single shot.

You click to fire the burst and the suppression is applied once to an area around where you click rather than once for each bullet.

The difference is that bursts have a higher value or area of effect.

The same would apply for the light drone.

When it selects a target to fire on that target is at the centre of the suppression effect regardless of how accurate the shots are.

While I wouldn't exactly be sweating should one of my guys encounter one down a dark alley alone, it's the fact that my entire squad is being pinned down in a room from a single burst from one of them that's causing me to grimace. Especially when it's the first room you assault into.

That being said, assaulting an Andron base on November 16th is surely a sign of masochism...

Bring C4.

Lots of C4.

So much C4.

Unless something has changed since it was initially added then suppression has nothing to do with the bullets.

When you click to fire a shot the suppression effect is based around where you click.

If ten bullets or none land near the point you aim it doesn't matter.

For bursts this is the same as single shot.

You click to fire the burst and the suppression is applied once to an area around where you click rather than once for each bullet.

The difference is that bursts have a higher value or area of effect.

The same would apply for the light drone.

When it selects a target to fire on that target is at the centre of the suppression effect regardless of how accurate the shots are.

It does actually track the bullets. To see it in action, have a machine gunner shoot over something which gives 50% cover next to one of your Xenonauts. Despite aiming in a completely direction area, the bullets that hit the obstacle (3-7 of them) will be sufficient to cause suppression to the nearby units.

Clearly, the bullets are doing something.

Bring C4.

Lots of C4.

So much C4.

I did. Let's just say...the command center is nothing more than a giant pile of scrap...after going through 4 shields...

...and exploiting the hell out of the doors...

It does actually track the bullets. To see it in action, have a machine gunner shoot over something which gives 50% cover next to one of your Xenonauts. Despite aiming in a completely direction area, the bullets that hit the obstacle (3-7 of them) will be sufficient to cause suppression to the nearby units.

Especially when the Scout Drones fire ~10-15 shots each. One managed to pin down my entire squad once, even though they were all spread out across the room.

Suppression has a radius. In the case of LMGs (and the light drone's burst cannon), it has a radius of 4 tiles (measured from target tile, giving it a diameter of 8 tiles!) to apply suppression damage to. Suppression also seems to ignore walls (annoyingly). If you want to test this properly to see if it tracks bullets then you need to aim your LMG a minimum of 5 tiles away from any solider.

As Max said you need to take into account the radius of the suppression effect.

Clicking to shoot a spot with a machine gun will cause suppression on units within a 4 tile radius, even if every single bullet was to miss and land 20 tiles away.

Anything stood next to one of those bullet impacts, or even hit by one, would be unaffected by suppression.

You need to think of suppression as intent rather than an effect.

If you intend to fire on someone (or they intend to fire on you) then that unit is suppressed by that fire rather than the suppression being an effect caused by bullets impacting around them.