Skitso's Oppressive UI MOD

Skitso

New version (0.2) released.

Changes:

-modified mainmenu screen (vignette, added title text, fixed bug in original clipboards alpha channel)

http://imgur.com/deIdjeK

-modified geoscape bottom menu to match upper screen

http://imgur.com/kwcLbK9

-further improved base menuscreen vignetting

Download new Oppressive UI 0.2 here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3i93co961nfar3w/Oppressive%20UI.rar

Edited by Skitso

Did you alter the white parts of the screen at all when you darkened the rest?

The contrast between the dark background and the bright white looks to be even more pronounced now.

No, this mod alters background pictures only. I'm a graphic artist, not a programmer. :) If you have good darkened settings that would go well with these graphics, throw me one and I'll bundle them it with this if it's ok?

The white parts are all images so can be altered the same way.

For example:

assets/uitextures has white.png which is used for the highlights of the soldier names in the roster and a couple of other areas.

*edit* white.png is also used as the background for the soldier and aircraft portraits, the background for the weapons in the equip menu on the right, and the background for the armour select and role select windows in the soldier equip screen.

assets/uitextures/sequip contains the black squares making up the background of the inventory (framebottomtrans.png is the weapon background in the hands).

assets/ui_screens/stores has the speechbubble.png image used as the background for speech bubbles but also the different windows in the soldier equip screen.

The white part of the four individual stores screens can also be darkened.

assets/uitexture/ui_screens also contains the workshop, personnel, and research folders which have the clipboard images.

These can also be darkened or a more realistic paper effect added.

assets/ui_screens/ui_research also contains a speechbubble_white.png but I haven't noticed if that is actually used anywhere.

I just copied the same speechbubble from the ui_stores folder and renamed it when I made the alterations, just in case.

I adjusted those files here so the whites became greys-:

http://www.filedropper.com/darkened

That gave this look:

QcNqGYp.jpg

I didn't spend any real time trying to make it look pretty though, it was purely to see how much I could alter.

The other base screens have similar colour schemes from the same changes.

I also made the greyed out medals transparent to avoid having to adjust their colour each time I changed the other ui elements.

Edited by Gauddlike

Just changed the clipboards for a variation of the black one from the start menu and I think it helps immensely.

The workshop and lab work well but the roster needs more work as each one have their own clipboard image so the borders and so on are very different.

I know the edges need work, this is a first pass.

The clipboard is not my own work either, I just altered the one already present in the game.

The darker speech bubbles are because of the changes I made in my last post.

Workshop:

vSIxPCe.jpg

Lab:

p8qAKmo.jpg

Tried to clean up the border and added your modified files as well as the changes to the white areas from my previous posts.

I also made the speech bubble more transparent, think I may have gone too far with that though, some text is unclear in the screenshots although it looked fine while playing..

Workshop:

54Ky45B.jpg

Lab:

iI7A6CL.jpg

I just opened the speechbubble.png in photoshop and adjusted the transparency in there.

assets/ui_screens/ui_stores if I remember rightly.

If you have a look at the zip I linked earlier all of the changed files (apart from the new clipboard modified from the start menu image) are in there, should give an idea where to start.

The look of my mod is improvig greatly as I get more hang of this thing.

I have one problem though.. as I make the speech bubbles in the research screen more gray and trasparent, the research projects that are under work are almost unreadable as the text color is now almost the same as background. I think I found the right file to alter (researchview in /scripts) but can't find the right numbers to change. Can anyone help with this?

Current research projects appear to use the font "XenonautsTableContentsFont" which is defined at the top of researchview.lua as being set as BlackColor.

You could try adjusting that to WhiteColor if you want it lighter.

There are other options like BlueColor, GreenColor, RedColor.

Note the capitalisation as the files are case sensitive.

You can also replace that line with Color(R,G,B,Alpha), to set the colour manually.

For example Color(255,255,0,255), would be a bright yellow with no transparency.

Again note the capital C, the lack of spaces after the commas and the comma after the closing bracket.

Great work! Generally I've been fan of the new original lighter tone UI. However, I really like the darker clipboard backgrounds on your base screens. Some of the actual image backgrounds are maybe bit too dark for me. Perhaps some variety in tone could work too, for example lab could have better lights and more white than maintenance.

I've been liking the original new map UI with its washed out 70's colors, I think it's just fine. Somehow don't like your griddy map overlay. But mods are perfect for this since I don't believe that 100% agreement will ever be found. :)

Great work! Generally I've been fan of the new original lighter tone UI. However, I really like the darker clipboard backgrounds on your base screens. Some of the actual image backgrounds are maybe bit too dark for me. Perhaps some variety in tone could work too, for example lab could have better lights and more white than maintenance.

I've been liking the original new map UI with its washed out 70's colors, I think it's just fine. Somehow don't like your griddy map overlay. But mods are perfect for this since I don't believe that 100% agreement will ever be found. :)

Remember that the backgrounds update as well so there are different versions for further up the tech ladder.

Some of those are a little brighter with a cleaner more modern look.

Current research projects appear to use the font "XenonautsTableContentsFont" which is defined at the top of researchview.lua as being set as BlackColor.

You could try adjusting that to WhiteColor if you want it lighter.

There are other options like BlueColor, GreenColor, RedColor.

Note the capitalisation as the files are case sensitive.

You can also replace that line with Color(R,G,B,Alpha), to set the colour manually.

For example Color(255,255,0,255), would be a bright yellow with no transparency.

Again note the capital C, the lack of spaces after the commas and the comma after the closing bracket.

No, I mean the current selected projects in the upper list. I can't find the color setting for those...

If you mean the description that appears on the right hand side of the window when you click the name on the left side then it is the same font as the one I mentioned.

That same font adjusts the research leads speech/text, the bottom list, and the research topic description.

The research project title from the left hand list is a bit different.

You need to find the entry for "availabletechlist" and look for the font colour in there.

You should see three values.

hcolor sets the highlight colour, mcolour is the text colour on mouseover, and thcolor is the text colour when selected.

I am not sure about the default colour though, will look into that.

Edited by Gauddlike

I mean the top left list, the projects that are under work. The text is light gray, almost white and its exactly the same color as my background speech bubble. I can't find a place to change that. Only color setting I can find from the "availabletechlist" is for the selection bar (18,18,18,255)...

Should have:

hcolor = Color(18,18,18,255),

mcolor = WhiteColor,

thcolor = WhiteColor,

If you change the second two to the same format as the first you can pick a colour.

hcolor = Color(18,18,18,255),

mcolor = Color(200,25,110,255),

thcolor = Color(100,200,46,255),

As I said though the default colour does not seem to be adjustable for some reason.

Even changing the font doesn't help.

I think it is using a default colour for the font as it isn't set in the script but the workshop list also doesn't have a colour defined and that text is black while the research text is pale grey on mine.