[v20.3] EQUIP screen freeze with Save file and interesting resolution workaround

I was so excited tonight that this is going to be fixed in 20.3, from the change log :(

then i realized i have the same freeze problem

but i think I may have figured out a workaround

I'm curious if this is reproducible on other machines or if its just mine, please try it out and let me know:

load save file 001

go on soldier equipment screen

click on the second guy down

Isaac Cox (that name is so fitting haha :rolleyes:)

game freeze

reproducible 100% of the time on full screen 1920x1200 resolution

http://en.swoopshare.com/file/69c1b6f978769e77dfaffc9f18a53457/2013-11-07_21.01.27?tags=2013-11-07_21.01.27〈=en

Interestingly, upon further investigation, i found that this freeze only happens under certain screen resolutions, here are some i tried so far (keep in mind i have a wide screen)

1920x1200-freeze

1920x1080-works

1600x1200-freeze

1600x1024-works

1024x768-works

full screen or window mode does not seem to matter

so im guessing it may have something to do with the formatting/resolution issues on wide screen monitors?

Edited by Ares106

I'm still having the equipment screen lockup, as well. It seems somewhat random, but inevitably after 1-3 clicks on different soldiers it will lock up. Normally I play on 1920x1080, but I played with a few different resolutions, just to see what would happen:

1280x720 - works

1280x768 - works

1400x1050 - works

1680x1050 - freeze

1776x1000 - freeze

1920x1080 - freeze

I haven't yet played at length with the "working" ones, but I clicked around at random on the soldier names for about ten seconds without any problems.

Had a freeze from double clicking on a soldier in the barracks screen, using 1920x1200, restarted a new game and could double click on all of them to go to enventory screen.

I know this isn't the time but any chance the sort order of the barracks screen could stick to what you have selected, each time you go back to it?

Edited by smoitessier

Damn, I can't reproduce the freeze at any of the resolutions you guys - I'll keep trying. We'll do our best to get a fix for this out today so you can have it for the weekend!

maybe you want to try this (works for me everytime):

when changing your soldiers role click on the role-icon while having your cursor on the armor (event-handler?)

sry cant describe it much better in english

also a freeze happens if you click through your soldiers rather fast.

Edited by DewDiligence

Damn, I can't reproduce the freeze at any of the resolutions you guys - I'll keep trying. We'll do our best to get a fix for this out today so you can have it for the weekend!

I had a game that I could not reproduce this crash/freeze. But then I restarted a game and since then, it always crashed for me.

So just in case this is helpful my steps (as best as I can recall):

1. 1920 x 1200 full screen, Windows 7 64-bit Home, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 w/hopefully latest drivers, 256 gig SSD drive, 8 gig memory, Quad AMD processors.

2. Started game

3. Built my starting base in Cairo, added a med bay and living quarters.

3. Built a new base in China with a radar and one hanger.

4. Went to soldier equipment screen at starting base (Cairo) clicked on soldier at top of list (assault troop) and added a assault shield, med kit, and pistol to back pack. Also, added another grenade, a flash, a smoker, one clip of pistol ammo to belt.

5. Click the "make default loadout" button.

6. As soon as I selected the next soldier on the list to work on his equipment the game froze. No way to get out except task manager.

Edited by StellarRat

I just tried to ignore equipping my guys until I made the 1st mission. Now it is working perfectly. It seems to me that the bug only happened in the beginning, before you do the 1st mission.
OK, that's good news. I'll try that tonight if there isn't a patch.

Just a thought, if it turns out that the problem does in fact correct itself after the first mission. There is possibly an uninitialized variable/object somewhere that get initialized after the first mission. I would be checking the code for interaction between the stat increases and/or anything to do with the weapons being "reloaded" between missions or the healing of soldiers between missions. Basically, any code that deals with soldier and soldier equipment between mission updates. It's probably somewhere in those modules.

Edited by StellarRat

I think it has nothing to do with Missions cause the Problem still exists after the first Mission on my PC. Everytime i click on specific Characters in the Equipment screen the game does freeze.

Game does freeze aswell if you click the Equipment screen while your dropship is still flying.

Windows 8.1 - 64bit

Phenom II X6 1090T

ATI HD 5850

1680x1050

PS: I`ve experimented with a new fresh game now and it looks like it depends on the chars.

I can click on all my soldiers in my savegame expect for these specific ones :

- Jane Holmes - Rifleman

- David Stopple - Assault

- Maria Perez - Heavy

One more time PS:

If i do the same explained above in smaller resolutions it works oO

Edited by Megathron

/edit : it has nothing to do with screen resolution, i can reproduce on every res. (but the highest the res is the more often happen the bug)

The point is when you change a soldier role to rifle and click on rifle icon afterwards, you got a crash.

If you don't, then click on another soldier and go back to the changed to rifle guy.

Same bug as http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/8026-v20-3-Another-CTD-in-EQUIP-screen .

Edited by Elsayal

/edit : it has nothing to do with screen resolution, i can reproduce on every res. (but the highest the res is the more often happen the bug)

The point is when you change a soldier role to rifle and click on rifle icon afterwards, you got a crash.

If you don't, then click on another soldier and go back to the changed to rifle guy.

Same bug as http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/8026-v20-3-Another-CTD-in-EQUIP-screen .

Well, if i change my Resolution to 1680*1050 "normally my standard res" then i get a freeze if i click on specific chars. If i play in 1440x900 it works... As far as i remember the devs changed some pictures from soldiers, maybe the images dont scale correctly with some resolutions and cause problems?

indeed it seems that there at least a few very different bugs associated with the Equipment screen, fortunately I was never subjected to Elsayal's "changing the soldier role then clicking on rifle icon" crash/freeze.

In fact after changing the resolution to

1920x1080

i was able to enjoy this awesome game for 7 hours without any major problems (a few small bugs here and there but nothing game breaking).

Unfortunately Once i purchased a new base and stocked it up with 5 soldiers for defense, they arrived and i quickly clicked on the equipment screen for the new base, very excited to check out my fresh recruits, and then... freeze!

it lost me 45 minutes of gameplay...

Try to use another/lower resolution which fits your "monitor ratio", helped for me as described. Dont use the

change role and equip default loadout function either and it will maybe run fine.

As Ares106 said already, looks like there are atleast minimum 2 bugs related to the equipment screen.

Hope it helps =)

Try to use another/lower resolution which fits your "monitor ratio", helped for me as described. Dont use the

change role and equip default loadout function either and it will maybe run fine.

As Ares106 said already, looks like there are atleast minimum 2 bugs related to the equipment screen.

Hope it helps =)

I am using a 16:10 monitor (1920x1200) and get the crash. however, if I use any 16:9 resolution, windowed or not, I never get the crash. (its the crash related to a specific "corrupt" soldier in my case)

I am using a 16:10 monitor (1920x1200) and get the crash. however, if I use any 16:9 resolution, windowed or not, I never get the crash. (its the crash related to a specific "corrupt" soldier in my case)

Disagree.

It takes me 30 sec to test it : put on 1600/900 ; do the process (change rifle role on a soldier and click on it or somewhere else) and it crashes.

It's impatced by screen res (easier to have it on high res then on low one) but you have the bug on EVERY res.

Disagree.

It takes me 30 sec to test it : put on 1600/900 ; do the process (change rifle role on a soldier and click on it or somewhere else) and it crashes.

It's impatced by screen res (easier to have it on high res then on low one) but you have the bug on EVERY res.

Disagree =)

If i click onto specific soldiers on 1680*1050 the game does freeze. If i do the same in 1440x900 it doesnt freeze.

The only freeze which happens on every resolution for me is the "change role, set equipment as default" bug.

Guys! there is no need to disagree, there are clearly more then one type of bug in the equipment screen, or one bug that manifests in different ways depending on hardware etc... As such we can all reproduce it under different conditions.

this reminds me of the blind men and the elephant story ;)

anyway i tracked down the freeze that killed my game last night and once again at least for me it seems to be related to resolution

here is the save file

http://www.swoopshare.com/file/5c5e5f32a33db7e37fd56e378f83d456/2013-11-10_11.26.38.sav.html

save name 013

go to Indochina base

click soldier equipment, freeze

here are the conditions:

1600x1040 and above freeze

1280x1024 and below works fine so far (but looks a bit crappy)

not sure if i should start another thread for this or edit the OP with the new problem?

Edit: I'm also getting the change rifle role then click anywhere CTD, on all resolutions it seems, so that might be an altogether different bug

Edited by Ares106