facial expression art

ooey

It would be a nice idea to have facial expressions in each soldiers personal screens. You could have new recruits looking clean shaven and raw, veterans with stubble etc. , and their expression would instantly indicate what state they are in (panicked etc.). This could maybe even be animated.

The unique art style was a key feature in the original.

It would be a nice idea to have facial expressions in each soldiers personal screens. You could have new recruits looking clean shaven and raw, veterans with stubble etc. , and their expression would instantly indicate what state they are in (panicked etc.). This could maybe even be animated.

This is a decent idea, and I fully support you paying for it in its entirety. Honestly, with how many portraits there are, there'd be a lot of work that would go into changing every single one of them in subtle ways for a zero benefit. And that's just redrawing the portraits. How much work do you think it would take to animate all of that? As I said, interesting idea, but definitely not the best place to be spending money on making this thing.

Hey - it was just a suggestion. No need to shoot me down in flames for it. This is a suggestion thread after all. I'm fully aware of how difficult it may be to implement as I'm a programmer myself.

@Gorlom - you know what I mean. Veterans have that craggy look about them. You can tell in an instant from their face that they are unlikely to go into panic mode. It would mean not having to look at multiple stats, and to me is a decent way to bring more atmosphere (if a guy is sweating hes more likely to panic etc.).

Naughty me for even suggesting it, I guess...

No ,we apriciate it. But at this point it is unlikely due to Chris still haveing alot to do and a deadline in the form of Firaxis shipping date has appeared (at least as far as Chris is concerned). It is unlikely that the developers will spend the ammount of time needed for this on polishing a feauture that gives so little back.

It's more of an AAA title feauture I think?

PS. I'm sorry if I seemed a bit harsh. That was not my intent. I merely wanted some reflection on the subject. But I see that combined with the post that came after my post does seem far more harsh then I intended. DS.

Edited by Gorlom
darn typos.

Well, if the project is an on-going thing where its continually modded, it may be deemed feasible at some point. Hell I might even have a go at it myself once I finish my own project. I fully understand that something like this would not be a priority, however.

Perhaps I am just a bit excited at the moment as I have just found the answer to my gaming dreams in an updated version of the original that looks like it's going to be very, very good.

You can't have different portraits for rookies and veterans since any given soldier uses the same portrait throughout the game. Having them change with rank simply isn't in the code.

Modding portraits in Xenonauts is pretty tricky sadly. You can't just get a bunch of photos from google images, resize them and throw them in. If you change the portrait you need to change the paper doll as well and it needs to follow the hand drawn art style and also fit the armour overlays. There's no way to do a good job with this without significant 2D art skills.

A nice way to increase portrait variety might be to take existing portraits and add different facial hair, hair/eye/skin colour, etc. Mix it up a little. Much easier than drawing and setting up new paper dolls and could probably be done by anyone who knows their way around Photoshop.

I like this idea, no matter how unlikely it is! =] But I'd prefer the static images, rather than animated

I personally think you only really need 5 variations of each head (a lot I know, but still, not too much). If somehow this gets onto the funding themometre, this is what I'd like:

- regular face (and the only one that ever needs to go on the paper doll at base)

- regular face with red eyes (for mind controlled...)

- clenched teeth (for heavily injured, doing an awesome full auto shot, etc.)

- surprised face (for being really really scared)

- dead face (obvious really, maybe with tongue poking out (jokes))

But as I said above, not very likely. One can only dream...