Wounded on the Ground?

Snarks

So I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but occasionally I find that a Xenonaut who was shot and knocked to the ground survive at the end of the mission. Does this mean they were not fatally shot? I've also noticed that sometimes their body does not show up in the inventory screen until a few turns later. So if they can be wounded on the ground, is it possible to stabilize them?

I recall in the OG you would occasionally have a soldier go down wounded, and the game would tick down the turns till they died. Maybe that's the case here?

Yeah, in the OG, you could end up with the dual state of a soldier being both knocked unconscious and having what the game referred to as "fatal wounds," which caused the loss of 1 HP per wound per turn, so if a soldier was both knocked unconscious and bleeding out from wounds, you'd end up with what you described after a fashion. Treating their wounds (and jacking them up to consciousness with stims and sending them back to the Skyranger if you were smart) would keep them alive. That, or picking their unconscious body up, hauling them back to the rear, and treating them there.

I think I remember reading that there was a small chance that KIAs can actually survive, but it's a small enough chance that you shouldn't count on it. Whether it's that or a bug like the good Commissar says, it's probably something calculated after the mission. Once soldiers kick the bucket on the battlefield, it's too late to apply first-aid; you don't have the situation from the original that Echo states. (First aid in Xenonauts being to hurl aspirin at someone who's wounded, judging from the animation.)