Local forces are liars.

RBrim08

"Local forces have reported a landed UFO" would be better.

In fact, wouldn't it be brilliant to have pre-programmed UFO landings (with local force reports of them) to ensure that research stays on schedule? I mean, isn't one of the issues of the game in its current incarnation the fact that tech acquisition is always so random?

That's a good idea. There's two ways to do that. You can set up a random event during each "era" in order to make sure that the player has access to all the technologies. Or you would build some logic into it to analyze the tech the player has, compare it against a list, and determine if the player might need an event to help out.

a) force events and specific research progression

b) ensure alternate research paths or tactics exist so the player can remain competetive, even if behind tech-wise.

Check player tech progression to slow down alien tech escalation a bit if necessary.

I prefer B.

The RNG giveth, the RNG taketh away.

When I read the title I thought it sounded a little harsh. However, in the cold war ( or any other) any number of countries would be claiming they had secret electromagnetic tesla death rays, that have taken down a UFO. US strategic defence initiatives to soviet psychotrons. Better than chemical and biological weapons because the west can't just check the receipts to see if they sold any.

"But come do your job* Xenonauts. We don't know how long our unicorn powered device will hold them."

* assuming you don;t decide to let them airstrike so you can get more money for it. um....