17.9 (Launcher / Desura client) Launcher not launching

Myth already reported a similar problem but I thought I'd do it here.

The launcher for the Desura client version doesn't seem to be launching. I originally clicked on play from the client and after giving it 10 minutes checked Task Manager and there were no Xenonaut processes active. Figuring it may be a problem with the Desura client, I went into the /common/ directory in the Desura local files where the Xenonauts files are kept and tried running the main Xenonauts file manually. Another 10 minutes after trying the Xenonauts file and Task Manager reports no Xenonauts processes active.

Hmmm. Ciago, I'd re-validate the files and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'd delete the files (I think from the /common/ directory in Desura) and re-download the game.

I'm not convinced the Desura auto-updater is doing its job properly at the moment, and I want to be sure we're not chasing phantom bugs that aren't actually in the game itself.

Interesting. The steps I took were:

1) Install Xenonauts (it had been uninstalled for a while). Wait 2 1/2 hours while it installs.

2) Desura then informs me of the 17.9 upd8. Click install. Wait another 1 1/2 hours.

3) Click "Play". Hard drive makes grindy "loading file" noises. I know from previous experience the launcher can take time to run, so I wait 10 minutes, check Task Manager. Nothing.

4) Find xenonauts.exe in /common/Xenonauts. Double click xenonauts.exe. Hard drive starts up again. It briefly flicks from the directory I had open, then flicks back. Nothing in Task Manager.

And that's where I found myself. I am now uninstalling Xenonauts Desura client version, and will re-install tomorrow, as I also downloaded the standalone.

Right, follow-up. I've unpacked the standalone. I tried to run it, the launcher ran, then crashed as soon as it loaded. On trying to run it again, looking at Task Manager, WerFault32.exe kicks in almost straight away.

EDIT:

Here's a picture.

EDIT 2:

Crash DMP file link removed - checked the date on it. This is for a much older game.

I wondered if it was the need for an outside connection that was causing the crash. So I set up Xenonauts.exe with unlimited to permission both inbound and outbound connections, but that didn't make any difference.

EDIT 3:

After finding out about WerFault, I pulled up the information it gathered for a typical launcher crash:

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\test\V17.9\Xenonauts.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Xenonauts.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 5140ba49

Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00000000

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 3468959425

That information is identical for each instance of the crash.

EDIT 4: Now downloading the Desura client version again. 3 1/2 hours to go, then god knows how long while I pre-emptively validate the files and any updates it applies (groaaaaan). Ima go play on my Xbox.

EDIT 5: Is it 4:00 AM already? Anyway, did a reinstall of the Desura client. The launcher loads, something in it breaks and causes the launcher to crash. I see the launcher load, then the text in the textbox appears before whatever breaks, breaks. What codecs do I need for the funky animation? (Perhaps that's the cause of the crash?)

EDIT 6: After verifying the files, Desura "installed missing files" and installed some other stuff as well, but it didn't help. However, I now have a better picture. I checked the WerFault report, and it's exactly the same information, word-for-word. I give up for now, I need my sleep.

Edited by Max_Caine

Since from your attached image it seems like the whole launcher has been loaded, my suspect is that is the video loading that fails, as it's done asynchronously from the other controls' creation.

There's a really simple test that you can run to verify this: go to [xenofolder]/assets/launcher/ and try to open movie.avi. That file could be somehow be corrupted (I know you've already verified the files, but a quick check can't be wrong).

Then, try to replace static.bmp with some other bitmap of the same size (you could simply open it with paint and make a red cross over it). Launch xenonauts. if at the moment of the crash you can still see the modified bitmap, it's highly likely to be the video loading that fails.. Other critical points on the launcher creation (such as the feed loading) seems to be fine..

Unfortunately not, at least atm.

Would you please do one more test for me? Download again the video from here. Does it open up in WMP? Place it in [xenofolder]/assets/launcer. Start Xenonauts. Issue still there?

(I'm still thinking of a corrupted file, if it doesn't even open up in WMP!)

Edited by Giovanni
video archived in .zip to avoid video preview from dropbox

Dropbox says the file doesn't exist?

EDIT: Tried several times and it's downloading.

EDIT 2: Just downloaded it, and WMP didn't like it. Codec problem, perhaps?

EDIT 3: Nah, no luck with the launcher either.

EDIT 4: It was a codec issue for me. I downloaded the Windows 7 Codec pack and now all smiles! (I suspect you might have to make codec packs part of the final install).

Edited by Max_Caine