Let's hope this never will happen in Xenonauts...

I kinda love those moments as much as I hate them. My one, scared witless, trooper down to his last clip with all of his comrades dead or zombified around him.

Not like they survive, most of the time. Still makes for some really tense moments. My sniper in the original X-COM with his back against the wall, mounting up something like seven or eight chryssalid kills before finally being swamped springs to mind as one of the most memorable. Still an all-out wipe, but what the hey!

:-)

Sebillians: aha! soldier #18! you are the last survivor and now we will...

li'l thothkins: Oh, noes.... here it comes >grimaces<

Sebilians: give you a cake! Happy Invasion Day! Have a present and a balloon!

li'l thothkins: phew, these aliens aren't so bad after all.

Sebilians: and now we have clowns!

li'l thothkins: Gah! Not Clowns! Die alien scum!

Good god, that game reminds me of some good and horrible, excruciatingly painful memories.

I had a crack team (great stats, lots of missions without a single loss or failure) and I felt invincible. I get one of my guys to throw a grenade down the corridor but he has the equivalent of a critical failure.

8 soldiers dead in one blast.

Good god, that game reminds me of some good and horrible, excruciatingly painful memories.

I had a crack team (great stats, lots of missions without a single loss or failure) and I felt invincible. I get one of my guys to throw a grenade down the corridor but he has the equivalent of a critical failure.

8 soldiers dead in one blast.

Hmm...well I had a couple of occasions where a blaster bomb flew into my dropship just after they landed. It doesn't get much worse than that.

the blaster bomb in the drop ship is something that I've read about a few times, but never happened to me.

In the first turn, I'd nearly always be able to get troops out of the transport. That was always the goal anyway. So, there weren't too many soldiers bunched up inviting grenades or blaster bombs. I imagine that must have been something to do with it.

I possibly lost a few more soldiers getting picked off as soon as they stepped out, but overall, that has to be better than losing pretty much the whole squad. :)

I did get someone mind controlled though, and fire back into the Skyranger. That was messy.

the blaster bomb in the drop ship is something that I've read about a few times, but never happened to me.

In the first turn, I'd nearly always be able to get troops out of the transport. That was always the goal anyway. So, there weren't too many soldiers bunched up inviting grenades or blaster bombs. I imagine that must have been something to do with it.

I possibly lost a few more soldiers getting picked off as soon as they stepped out, but overall, that has to be better than losing pretty much the whole squad. :)

I did get someone mind controlled though, and fire back into the Skyranger. That was messy.

Your play style was different than mine. I'd send the tank or a single soldier out to scout the landing zone first then move a couple guys to the middle of the ramp to cover the zone. So, I was fairly vulnerable to a mass kill the first turn, but on the other hand, I was less likely to get a bunch of guys shot by a sniper with with a non-explosive weapon right off the bat.

Hmm...well I had a couple of occasions where a blaster bomb flew into my dropship just after they landed. It doesn't get much worse than that.

You were lucky! When I played, my squad didn't even make it to the dropship, they all died from getting poisoned in the staff canteen.

XCom soldier living to enjoy the start of a meal?! My X-Com soldiers used to dream about getting to live long enough to enjoy the start of a canteen meal.

Their day dreaming about it meant that they were distracted and they were all killed on the way to their recruitment interviews by alien infiltrators (or possibly Pancakes).

Edited by thothkins

XCom soldier living to enjoy the start of a meal?! My X-Com soldiers used to dream about getting to live long enough to enjoy the start of a canteen meal.

Their day dreaming about it meant that they were distracted and they were all killed on the way to their recruitment interviews by alien infiltrators (or possibly Pancakes).

And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you.

As a somewhat youngblood myself, I kinda agree. Oh those days when a single hit could end the brilliant career of an X-COM operative.

Besides, it's best to take what thothkins says at face value, lest Commissar Pancakes comes bearing down on you with charges of whatever takes his fancy.

Huh...my lot never even got the last meal. I just shipped 'em all off on their first mission as soon as they stepped off the transport plane.

'Course...that's the incentive. Not only do you live though a holyshitevilaliengibrifles experience, you get free dry cleaning after you utterly soil your jumpsuit, and a nice meal of tasteless, decade old MREs.

Oh...and the Council also never gave me funding for toilets or showers...I'm guessing this is why the aliens never attacked my base...

As a somewhat youngblood myself, I kinda agree. Oh those days when a single hit could end the brilliant career of an X-COM operative.

Besides, it's best to take what thothkins says at face value, lest Commissar Pancakes comes bearing down on you with charges of whatever takes his fancy.

Hey, I've only just breached my second decade of existence, so you aren't the only young'n here. Then again...I tend to act like a crotchety old man...oh, be right back. I see twenty uniform violations from that "hip in-crowd" FNGs...

Edited by Commissar Pancakes