Background pictures & feel of progress

Posted (edited)

Background pictures (scientist, engineer, ...) should offer several versions based on game progress.

I think the game is about progress and discovering new things, the background pictures takes serious amount of gameplay time but they are still the same. Result is, game feels static, frozen in time - boring.

Proposal :

Make a system where background picture and responsible person are two entities.

Then

- link the background picture to general game progress - make 4-6 versions showing new tech or even some destruction (after base attacked)

- link person visuals to projects done - engineer build an air-plain >> put WW1 air-plain googles on; scientist make research of lizards - his hand is bitten off and replaced by artificial steel hand.

and so on. I can make dozens of these in no time. :-]

Target is clear I guess, offer variety for players and some fun on top. Avoid static scrreen for whole gameplay - it is specially deadly for re-playability.

Also would be nice make background a form of animated gif. e.i. a small moving parts in a loop. Which helps remove the static feel of the whole base interface.

Thanks for reading 

Edited by gG-Unknown
  • Like 1

Yeah, we're hoping to add in the Xenonauts 1 style background image changes to Xenonauts 2 as well, as I thought it was a cool feature in X1.

It's on my to-do list once Milestone 4 is released properly.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yeah, we're hoping to add in the Xenonauts 1 style background image changes to Xenonauts 2 as well, as I thought it was a cool feature in X1.

Are you going to overhaul the current base BG and character images completely?

As the game's overall visual presentation has improved considerably over the years, these old images have started to stick out like a sore thumb.

Edited by Skitso

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Chris said:

Thank you.

Here is a small cheap trick - Base UI, bottom screen on sides. There are some dudes surrounded by computers. 2 Static pictures - make a form of an animated gif - so they move their heads a bit and code on their screens changes.

Also, You have said that custom coloured strips on uniforms (better differentiate soldier ) are highly likely to happen. Are they ? :-)

Edited by gG-Unknown