Chris

Build V8.4 Released!

And auto fire is a separate button. Auto fire has a fixed cost since it can't be pumped, so that's simple enough.

Sorry, but I don't quite follow you - does that mean a Xenonaut will only make a reaction fire shot if you actually have one of the AP reserve buttons selected when they end their turn (and they have enough AP)?

No. They will use their available AP to make the most expensive type of shot they can when they sight an alien.

So whether you save it manually or not, if your soldier has the chance to shoot, he will do the best shot that he can. If you save AP though and they don't get a chance to shoot, that AP is lost

Well I used reserve AP's for both reaction and normal shots. Maybe I suck at maths, but when having an Avenger full of soldiers at some point I'd always move some guy too much and had to pay for it the hard way. I have to admit I still sometimes forgot to check the reserve button, but at least it made those errors less common. I don't remember how it was implemented in Enemy Unknown - were you able to shoot while having reserved AP's - but I recall it worked ok, so in my opinion it can be the same way in Xenonauts.

Perhaps one thing worth considering could be the possibility to disable oppoturnity fire. I don't know about you, but I really loved the incendiary autocannon, except when it leashed a couple of reactionary bursts to the general direction of the heroic close combat your other guys were engaged at. Of course you could just use all the AP's by turning around a couple (of dozen) times, but it wouldn't hurt to have a button to disable the reaction shots.

Finally able to play...

picked up on 2 things tho...

1. When looking at the chinook, there is a spelling mistake (i think) in the bottom left, where there is a panel of vehicles and soldiers on board, it is named as COMPEMENT ... not sure if that is meant to be COMPARTMENT???

2. Had an issue where my soldiers could only enter the downed UFO once, battled like hell to get the guys to enter the back of the UFO again....

Other than that... awesome work!

Yup, it's meant to be troop complement. I've updated strings.xml.

The UFO is a mess at the moment. I'll be looking at it shortly.

The UFO is a mess at the moment. I'll be looking at it shortly.

That's very good to hear; being able to barge through the walls doesn't quite make up for the aliens being able to shoot through them :)

Is there any case when you want to not shoot during your turn (assuming you can see an alien), but leave your AP for reaction fire?

If so (and it isn't a corner case), I can see the case for having the reserve AP being untouchable during your turn.

Otherwise, I think they would work best by locking the AP so they can only be used for shooting. If I choose to shoot during my turn, they can be spent, otherwise they are left over for reaction fire.

I like this idea of being able to disable reaction shots for some troopers. It really can be a problem with rocket launchers and in old XCOM, I often wished for this option.

About the question of how best to use reserve action points: to save for a shot in the same turn versus in the aliens turn, a point worth considering is that using your reserve points to react to the aliens was in the past XCOMs the best way to build up your "reaction" stat in troopers

Nice to see that Chris has been busy with the game. :) Have been too busy to check on the game for a while. Hopefully after christmas I'll be able to test out the new version more. The changelogs look very promising!