Build V8.4 Released!

Because the 'hotfix' V8.3 didn't work very well and caused more bugs than it fixed, we've now released V8.4 which should fix all the new crashes. Really it should be caused V8.36 or something as there are no new features, but it's simpler for bugtracking if we just move to V8.4.

So, here's the list of bugs that were meant to be fixed in V8.3 and are now fixed in V8.4:

Improvements:

- Added final difficulty level uniform images to the Main Menu screen.

- Added a few items to the Scout UFO interior (rear saucer). There are still more to come but this should give a preview of the style.

Bugfixes:

- Basic Armour with pistol, rocket launcher, precision rifle etc no longer appear as Wolf-armoured troops.

- Terror sites now have icons on the map, so troops can be sent to them after the initial warning.

- Successful terror sites can now only be generated once a week. After this limit is reached UFOs will spawn with different missions instead.

- Stun rockets have been removed from the rocket launcher-armed soldier's starting loadout.

- It should no longer be possible to launch two simultaneous instances of air combat with a UFO by sending two interceptors in different squadrons at the same target simultaneously.

- The Radar Array now displays its name correctly.

- Menu tabs should now work properly on loading a saved game.

- Resaerch projects should no longer disappear on loading a saved game.

- UFO / Aircraft / Vehicle naming should work correctly on loading a save game and quitting then starting a new game from the title screen.

- Ghost UFOs should no longer appear over crash sites on loading a saved game.

- The Iron Man checkbox on the title screen should be clickable / mouseoverable on the text as well as the checkbox now.

- Keybindings now include the crouch / uncrouch key shortcut (bound to 'C' by default), as well as Select Soldier 10 and Select Vehicle 2.

- Keybinding options should now recognise keypresses on the Ground Combat.

- Keybrinding options should no longer be displayed as black text on a black background on the in-game menu (text is now white).

- Quitting from the Ground Combat should no longer cause a crash.

- Quitting a game to the Main Menu should correctly cancel the existing music and start the Main Menu music.

- Soldiers spin instantly on the spot now, instead of slowly rotating. They will stop-mid turn if they see an alien while rotating.

- If a unit blocks the path of a bullet (fully or partially) it will have its selection circle highlighted. This should make it clearer what is blocking shots - particularly where vehicles are concerned.

- Cursor on mouseover of aliens correctly displays red now.

- Cursor on mouseover of civilians correctly displays black now.

- The APs penalty (or lack of) is now correctly updated at the end of each turn.

- If AP Reserve prevents a unit from performing an action, there is now a pop-up window explaining this.

- AP Reserve cannot be activated for a weapon if the unit does not have enough AP to perform the desired fire mode

- AP reserve settings prevent units from firing during their turn now.

Unimplemented Features / Unfixed Bugs:

- Ground combat save / load is still not functional. I think we're nearly there but we're suffering issues with the engine's windowing system. Hopefully it'll be sorted by next week.

-If a UFO escapes to space after being engaged, there should be a 50% chance it reappears in the next UFO wave to try its mission again.

- We need to implement "Target Tracking Lost" and "Target Escaped into Space" messages for when UFOs that are being intercepted by aircraft disappear from the Geoscape for either reason.

- The soldier inventory disappearing secondary weapon (usually grenades) when a two-handed primary weapon is equipped bug is not yet fixed.

- Post-mission two-handed weapon weight penalty doubled bug is still active.

- If two research projects are finished at the same time, only one is shown in the Xenopedia.

Desura changelog mentions a v8.3, v8.35 and v8.4 - I'm confused! :)

Is 8.35 = 8.4 and 8.4 the 8.41 that you mention in this thread? If that makes any sense!

yeah im confused too, i bet Desura didn't authorize 8.41 and I'm playing 8.4 still

Edited by Aelius

There was 8.3 which ground combat was impossible due to not being about to send units to the landing site.

So 8.35 fixed that, but had a lot of bugs

so version 8.4 come out, but in this version ground combat maps were barren wastelands with nothing on so now version 4.1 has come out to fix that.

Desura is weird sometimes for me too. sometimes i have to restart desura before it picks up new updates.

But that about sums it up for the many version :)

I don't really get why you've made AP Reserve disabling shooting. Isn't what AP Reserve supposed to be for ? Making sure you don't run out of AP when moving so if you uncover an Alien, you still have enough APs to shoot? I'm guessing you made that so that your character can have reaction fire but I'm mostly using AP Reserve to make sure my character don't move too far so that I'm not out of AP if I notice a threat. Am I the only one who's using AP Reserve for that purpose?

It's not been authorised yet by Desura. I'll chat to the desura guy on Skype when he's available.

AP Reserve (for me) is used to save points for reaction fire. What do other people use it for?

I'd never even considered using it for that. :o

I always used it in UFO/TFTD to move my soldiers their maximum distance while ensuring they still had enough in the tank for a shot during the same turn.

Never used it in either. Its too annoying :D.

Did the calculations in my head, or made use of tactics to not require reaction fire at all. Its so unreliable that if I did need reaction fire I just didn't move the trooper. Or blew up the general vicinity. Worked pretty well.

@AD: Having both would just add extra buttons for minor effects. As Silverwave mentioned, you can easily use reserve mode as a 'stop' slider, then turn it off, or leave it on to use it as Reaction reserve. Its fiddly, but it'd be fiddly anyways.

As I can see, I'm not the only one who use the reserve button to move as far as the character can and then fire on the same turn.

Well my idea would be to allow firing even if the reserve button is selected. It wouldn't allow to do other actions once you get to that AP reserve though to make sure you don't spend the AP needed to fire if you want a reaction fire or to shoot in the same turn.

No need for an extra button, you could do both with the same button without the fiddling of having to turn it off.

Yeah, but it is a lot more manual clicking, unnecessary. What about a slider with a bar with two halves? The top one if for AP reserve, and the bottom is for Reaction reserve. If you move them both to snap shot, you save enough to shoot one snap shot in turn, and another in reaction, but you can move them independantly too. All this would require is the same scale, but a second slider attached

Yeah, I also used the AP reserve function to allow move and shoot in a turn.

Adding an option in the menu to change how it works is easy, but I guarantee you a bunch of reviewers will not see the option and moan about the reserve function being clunky. Might I suggest putting a "Do not warn me about this again" tick box in the popup that tells you the AP is reserved for reaction fire?

I'm not sure if this has been explained elsewhere, but how does a reaction fire shot actually work? Does it only do a minimum AP snapshot or will it pump all available AP into the shot? How does it decide between snap and auto shots?