Quick Update on our Current Priorities!

Chris

Hi guys - been a few weeks since I posted an update (though the V17.5 changelog gives you an idea of what we've been working on recently). I'm just going to make a quick post on what we're working on at the moment:

Firstly, we're working on stability. As always, releasing a build ends up in us getting sidetracked for ages trying to get it stable again, and sure enough that has happened with V17.5(1). V17.52 will come out in the near future and should fix up the crash bugs, so the game will be stable enough to play again.

Once that is done, we'll be working towards beta again. This involves a few key things:

The Geoscape is basically done. The remaining work is largely implementing the new UI, which we've now started work on, but that's on a branch on the code so you won't see the results of the work until it is done. Perhaps we'll drip-feed the new screens into the beta as they are done, or perhaps we'll release them all at once, we'll see.

The other thing we may do is add in an autoresolve for the air combat. If we do so, it'll be during the beta. Other than those two things, I think the strategic stuff is largely complete where functionality is concerned.

For the ground combat, we're working on a few things:

• GJ is working on the AI
  • We're generating new maps; in the final game we plan to have six maps per tileset (two for small UFOs, two for medium UFOs and two for large UFOs), giving us a total of over fifty. Hopefully they'll be done for the beta. We can see how it affects replayability at that point.
  • We need to add some code to specify "command rooms" where the elite aliens spawn; once that's complete all the code should be in place for big UFOs and alien bases.
  • We're rendering out the last 5-6 alien weapon / armour combinations, so the aliens are nearly all done (it'll be done this week). I've just realised we don't have enough female civilians in the game so we're getting some of them modelled up too, but they're the last thing we need done (though I'm considering re-rendering the Caesans due to inconsistent lighting for the existing ones).

Giovanni is working on our new launcher, which uses a library that can be ported to Mac.

When we have our stability fix up, I'll release some new test levels for the Scout and Corvette UFOs. I'd like to start locking down some of the layouts so we can get the final art in place for them.

I did a runthrough of the game before Christmas to check the tech tree is working properly and you can correctly unlock all of the research items and workshop projects. I'm going to try and repeat that this week - it's a big prerequisite for getting the game balanced up!

So that's what we'll be working on in the next couple of weeks. I hope in about two weeks we'll be able to give you an ETA on the beta.

So that's what we'll be working on in the next couple of weeks. I hope in about two weeks we'll be able to give you an ETA on the beta.

Don't forget to mulitiply by 3.14... ;)

How's the AI progresseing? I'd love a separate post on AI progress if it doesn't steal away too much time from the actual development work..

Keep up the good work!

Just a quick comment regarding the air combat autoresolve. In Rome:Total War, I gave up using it as my losses were always far greater than I would get if I fought the battles myself, because it seemed simply to look at the campaign difficulty and friendly/enemy strengths, and the likely result of an up-the-guts assault. I soon gave up using it.

It would be good if it took into account more stats, such as your previous history fighting/tactics, to give realistic results.

Anyway, good work guys. Keep it up.

The other thing we may do is add in an autoresolve for the air combat. If we do so, it'll be during the beta. Other than those two things, I think the strategic stuff is largely complete where functionality is concerned.

I think an auto resolve system is a mistake.

Just a quick comment regarding the air combat autoresolve. In Rome:Total War, I gave up using it as my losses were always far greater than I would get if I fought the battles myself, because it seemed simply to look at the campaign difficulty and friendly/enemy strengths, and the likely result of an up-the-guts assault. I soon gave up using it.

It would be good if it took into account more stats, such as your previous history fighting/tactics, to give realistic results.

I believe one that gets the same result as if the player had been playing is an even bigger mistake. But I can't be sure until we get try it out.

Edited by Gorlom

I'll make GJ talk about the AI on the forum in a couple of weeks. It's the biggest missing puzzle piece and I'd rather he was working on it than writing about it at the moment.
Thanks! I'll be waiting with bated breath...er, well, at least I'll be looking forward to a SIT REP. ;) Edited by StellarRat

Anyway, good work guys. Keep it up.

I always think of the AI as an under-talented lackey that shouldn't be left to do anything important. "You have failed me for the last time, Admiral."

I think an auto resolve system is a mistake.

I believe one that gets the same result as if the player had been playing is an even bigger mistake. But I can't be sure until we get try it out.

Except when your fighters are superior to the aliens in the late game (I don't know if you guys are planning to have an "Avenger" type plane, so this is just speculation) and it becomes a chore to shoot down all those planes. In the TW series, I used autoresolve when it was obvious I was going to win.

It's the in-universe explanation for why early alien craft stop appearing as the game goes on. It's assumed that countries have gradually gotten the tech and experience to deal with, e.g. Light scouts, so those craft don't appear on your radar, leaving you to focus on craft the governments can't take out on their own.

Except when your fighters are superior to the aliens in the late game (I don't know if you guys are planning to have an "Avenger" type plane, so this is just speculation) and it becomes a chore to shoot down all those planes. In the TW series, I used autoresolve when it was obvious I was going to win.

From what we have gathered Chris plans will not result in any such situation. The UFOs that you can steamroll will be phased out and the endgame UFOs will always be more powerful then the best you can get. Challange rather than a chore. Sort of starting up a survival mode where you can try to last as long as you can but you better take that end mission at some point before you are overwhelmed.

From what we have gathered Chris plans will not result in any such situation. The UFOs that you can steamroll will be phased out and the endgame UFOs will always be more powerful then the best you can get. Challange rather than a chore. Sort of starting up a survival mode where you can try to last as long as you can but you better take that end mission at some point before you are overwhelmed.

Well that takes out some of the fun IMO.