V16.1 Crash on farm map

Same thing here, second map on my first playthrough. 16.1, downloaded yesterday evening PST (not through Desura). Haven't actually seen more than one civilian, and can just catch the edge of the crashed UFO on a mostly empty green map before the game CTDs consistently on a particular turn. I have the file saved if it is needed.

Crashing on farm maps also, halted my ironman progress which thinking about it was probably a silly idea to start with :)

I last 4 turns or so and then straight to desktop during hidden movement. I wish I could say more about the situation but the hidden part kind of speaks for itself.

Like someone previous witnessed I have also seen a couple of times that just before the game crashes an invisible NPC moves towards a fence, presumably to vault over it, and then instantly the game crashes. Not game breaking since you can just load the game, but when it happens several times in a row it does get a bit frustrating.

Also v16.1 16 Oct.

I just purchased the game yesterday from Desura and I am having the same problem. My login screen says V16 12 October though. I tried a verify files but I dont think I have 16.1 for some reason. Same issue though, 2nd map in and it is a farm screen. After first turn of moving my guys out of the skyranger I hit end turn and go right to desktop.

We'll be releasing a quick .exe based patch for this shortly, but you'll need V16 (Desura should have it now, or you can download the standalones). If it works we'll roll out a full Desura update too.

nice, will be keeping an eye out for it :)

does this mean we need to remove the 16.1 reinstal 16. and then apply the patch?

As I'm curious, what was the issue in the end?

Some simple, yet tricky to be found, mis-set spectre files for civilians. :/

Our xml validation tool saw them as OK, as actually they were valid to the language specifics, but the game did left out the vault animations in the loading process.

The issue is a missing animation for the civilians in their soldier_spectre.xml files. They didn't have a vault animation set, so when they tried to vault a wall the game couldn't read the animation and crashed.

V16.1 added the vault animation code but I added it after the </state> tag had already closed the area you're meant to set animations in, so that had no effect. The patch above just updates all the offending soldier_spectre.xml files.

I suspected the problem was with caesan vaulting as well, so I added a vault animation set to alien/none/soldier_spectre.xml, and haven't had this CTD after quite a bit of testing.

I'm using v16.2 on a fresh game. It's worked for me so far--really hope this is where the problem is!

Chris's patch updated 11 files..

Update.jpg

I can post the checksums as well if you want to be super-paranoid.

Were those the 11 you expected to update Chris?

842748774775542e79527930cb24794f *assets\units\civilian\arctic\snowcivilian2\soldier_spectre.xml

6b17ba98ca0a8c46e6f8867014d2f677 *assets\units\civilian\desert\civmale1\soldier_spectre.xml

81f7395cb1f3c68c98570fd10e00722d *assets\units\civilian\farm\malefarmer2\soldier_spectre.xml

a6faf636d526f6a466bfe1613163d6f5 *assets\units\civilian\farm\malefarmer3\soldier_spectre.xml

23c99dc3687a73136c1b847f648578b1 *assets\units\civilian\farm\none\soldier_spectre.xml

cbe65a7b3a2305d1e858a4e30f66bef7 *assets\units\civilian\industrial\civmale1\soldier_spectre.xml

cd27a2ce461dcc4ff067ffbb838ad8d2 *assets\units\civilian\industrial\civmale2\soldier_spectre.xml

b3ec3fc3822d2899a1eb15601cce2bc0 *assets\units\civilian\industrial\none\soldier_spectre.xml

282c551e99f2876317a1162c81574696 *assets\units\civilian\middleeast\civmale1\soldier_spectre.xml

8a7b1b429ecbae4365eb903439c0626b *assets\units\civilian\town\civmale1\soldier_spectre.xml

5774ece5d6545234d509f087b1fc841d *assets\units\civilian\town\none\soldier_spectre.xml

Update.jpg

Update.jpg.36d99c8e432f5604764824b1b7e71

Edited by tass

Yes. New fix - go into \assets\units\alien\caesan\guardsupport\weapon.AlienHeavyPlasmaRifle\ and delete the soldier_spectre.xml

That should fix the crashes. Also, Blaster, I think what you've done is probably a good failsafe too. If anyone is sufficiently technically-minded to operate a text editor, please go into /assets/units/aliens/none/ and open up soldier_spectre.xml.

Paste the lines below at the bottom of the file, BEFORE the </state> tag (won't work if you paste it after that).

<anim src="units/alien/none/vault_w" anim="vault_NY"/>

<anim src="units/alien/none/vault_e" anim="vault_K"/>

<anim src="units/alien/none/vault_n" anim="vault_E"/>

<anim src="units/alien/none/vault_s" anim="vault_D"/>

<anim src="units/alien/none/vault_nw" anim="vault_ENY"/>

<anim src="units/alien/none/vault_ne" anim="vault_EK"/>

<anim src="units/alien/none/vault_sw" anim="vault_DNY"/>

<anim src="units/alien/none/vault_se" anim="vault_DK"/>

See if that works.