[V14 - Ground Combat] Advanced Medpacks vanish when placed in soldiers hands

Ronseal.

Once you research alien biology and equip Advanced Medipacks over the normal ones, you'll find that if you try and drag them from the backpack to the soldiers hands slot during the ground combat that they'll vanish once you close the inventory.

Reopening the inventory and they've totally vanished. This means you cannot heal troops.

Quick look at items, weapons and weapons_gc shows there's a problem:

items.xml and weapons.xml have an entry for weapons.grenade.advancedmedipack in each.

weapons_gc.xml does not, it does however have an entry for weapons.grenade.medikit, which by the looks of where the image is pointing, is an older version of the new advanced medipack.

To fix:

Alter the line in weapons_gc.xml from

weapon.grenade.medikit to weapon.grenade.advancedmedipack

Should fix it, testing now.

Update: Does fix. Kinda bodge. Shows 100/200 ammo, but is at least selectable.

Edited by Buzzles

• 4 weeks later...
Chaps, it's not fixed!

As of V15.1, you're nearly there but weapons_gc.xml contains an error as the line:

weapons.grenade.advancedmedipack

should be:

weapon.grenade.advancedmedipack.

There's an erroneous 's' on weapon which results in it not working again.

Thanks for this Buzzles, just applied the fix!

Hey Giovanni, just give us the source code and you can go on vacation! LOL! :D

That's what I love about forums, people really are an unpayable resource in bug hunting and suggestions for the fixes and features!

Sometimes people ask me 'how couldn't you have seen this bug? it's so clear, I used your software for about 30 seconds and crashed it, while you tested it for hours and marked it as working smooth'.. That's really frustrating because you feel like an idiot sometimes!

The fact is, when you work on some code and test it, you have a static model in mind and keep doing the same actions and tests, so its really easy that some errors aren't found until you give the program to someone else.. Same for error cause's finding, you keep checking the same lines of code and maybe it's some silly typo somewhere else! StellarRat, you as a programmer should get this! :)

So thanks community, your participation on this forum is really helping in development!

(Going really off-topic btw)

That's what I love about forums, people really are an unpayable resource in bug hunting and suggestions for the fixes and features!

Sometimes people ask me 'how couldn't you have seen this bug? it's so clear, I used your software for about 30 seconds and crashed it, while you tested it for hours and marked it as working smooth'.. That's really frustrating because you feel like an idiot sometimes!

The fact is, when you work on some code and test it, you have a static model in mind and keep doing the same actions and tests, so its really easy that some errors aren't found until you give the program to someone else.. Same for error cause's finding, you keep checking the same lines of code and maybe it's some silly typo somewhere else! StellarRat, you as a programmer should get this! :)

So thanks community, your participation on this forum is really helping in development!

(Going really off-topic btw)

Trust me, I've been down that road many times. I spent weeks trying to solve a problem that someone spotted in a couple hours. A fresh set of eyes is invaluable. At my old company we did "paired programming". Where two people work on the same code together physically right next to each other. Your first instinct would be that it is not cost effective because x2 labor, but actually the quality improvement and the fact that two people know the code more than pays for itself. Now we're further off topic. :D

Trust me, I've been down that road many times. I spent weeks trying to solve a problem that someone spotted in a couple hours. A fresh set of eyes is invaluable. At my old company we did "paired programming". Where two people work on the same code together physically right next to each other. Your first instinct would be that it is not cost effective because x2 labor, but actually the quality improvement and the fact that two people know the code more than pays for itself. Now we're further off topic. :D

Really interesting practice, never tought of something like this.. A really smart way to minimize errors and so debug times!

Really interesting practice, never tought of something like this.. A really smart way to minimize errors and so debug times!
Of course, you have to be able to afford two programmers in the first place. It really does work well though. Also, you tend to get better results because each programmer has different talents in coding and different approaches. You learn a lot. Specially if you pair a beginner with an experienced person.

At my old company we did "paired programming". Where two people work on the same code together physically right next to each other. Your first instinct would be that it is not cost effective because x2 labor, but actually the quality improvement and the fact that two people know the code more than pays for itself. Now we're further off topic. :D

I think (at least here in Oz) its called 'Xtreme' programming?