[v12.11] Game Suffers Fatal Crash Error after clicking Full Game

Crash report attatched. (disregard that, the atatchment function is down at the time of posting).

I'm running Windows XP 32 bit, with more than adequete hardware/software to be running the game.

It's also worth pointing out that the zip file I downloaded did not want to extract, I had to extract the assets folder, and then each other file seperately to the desktop before moving them in to the xenonauts folder.

Does anyone know if the game is supposed to be installed anywhere in particular? Or how to retify this bug? I am capable of running this game, but despite forking over money for this game, I am left with an unplayable product... this hardly seems fair, words can't begin to describe my frustration and dissapointment. I know the game is in Alpha, but when you are charging people for a product, they are paying for somthing they can at least run, there is a resonsibility on the distributors/producers/developers shoulders to at least ensure the product is playable, I expect somthing for my money, this isn't just a blind investment, I wanted a playable game, I actually feel cheated, not because it's buggy, I can live with buggy, it's an Alpha, thats to be expected, but to have it completely unplayable, thats just low.

I was led to believe this was at least playable, I actually just feel ripped off, if this doesn't get fixed or I find a sollution I'm going to require a refund.

It sounds like you have corrupt files from that zip you downloaded.

Either try and redownload it and extract again or use the Desura client to manage it for you.

I know the game is in Alpha, but when you are charging people for a product, they are paying for somthing they can at least run, there is a resonsibility on the distributors/producers/developers shoulders to at least ensure the product is playable

You also seem to have the wrong idea about the alpha.

This is the stage of development where the devs do the work you are referring to above as their responsibility.

This isn't a stage of development where you would expect the game to work flawlessly for everyone, someone somewhere is going to have major issues with it.

When you purchase a game you should reasonably expect it to work on the majority of systems at release.

This is mainly due to the testing done at the alpha stage.

Expecting that work to already be done by the alpha is a little bit optimistic.

You are jumping in early in order to help them find and fix those issues before release.

When Xenonauts is ready for release you should have the problem free game you have paid for.

I know an Alpha is unstable, I'm aware of that, I'm also aware, that this is an indie company and that not everyone will be able to run it.

However, when you pay for a product/service, the consumer expects to at the very least get somthing for their purchase, hey I'm sorry if that comes across as rude, but that's the way it is, we aren't just testers, we're customers, I don't think I'm being unreasonable in wanting the product I was buying.

I have met the requirements needed to run this game as stated on the requirements section of their web site and have paid money for it, if I were just a tester and not a customer then I'd leave it, however I'm not just a tester am I, I'm a customer.

As a customer and a consumer I have rights, one of which is that I receive the product that I paid for, as a distributer/developer/producer, it is Golden Eagles responsibility to at least ensure I receive the product I paid for. I was informed via their website this would at least run on my computer, I am prepared to grit my teeth, to try and resolve the problems I am having by cooperating with the community and Golden Eagle whom I respect very much, I'm not someone who is throwing back someones hard work in their face and is demanding a refund because it's not good enough, I just expect the company to live up to their promises and to keep my rights as a customer and a consumer in mind.

All too often the consumers of this industry are told to sit down, shut up and take what they are given, don't speak out, don't criticise, don't bite the hand that feeds, this is why EA was voted the worst company in America, because they mistreat their customers and rip them off, don't be that guy.

If they can't distribute the game reliably and it won't even run on peoples computers who more than meet the requirements then perhaps they shouldn't charge money for it.

Further more, this isn't a simple case of the file may have become corrupted during the download procedure I have downloaded the game 5 times now, every time it doesn't extract properly, I have to extract the files 1 by 1 and then move them to the xenonauts folder, the launcher works fiune, but I get a Fatal Crash Error in the main menu, I tried downloading it through Desura, same thing, download process screws up, I receive corrupted files, what is even stranger is that (after purchasing the game) I downloaded earlier versions of the demo to play and even earlier versions of the game via torrents, they all had the exact same problem, they wouldn't extract properly, this is clearly a problem on my end, it is no fault of Golden Eagles, although I meet their requirements and am Running XP 32 bit, the game is unrunable on my rig, given that it is in Alpha I'm trying to fix it because obviously issues like this will arise, but this is happening with every single release of this game, I have tried from 8.0 up till recently and every single time I get the same issues.

Hope that cleared everything up.

I was just trying to point out that the product you have (pre) purchased is the release version of the game and as an added bonus you can access the alpha stages if you choose to.

This is not technically the product you have paid for just yet, it will be eventually though so hang tight.

Goldhawk are still adding features all the time as well as working on the bugs that crop up, if this does turn out to be a compatibility problem hopefully we can get to the bottom of it and they can sort it for you :)

I have had similar problems when files have been corrupt so it is a potential cause, whether that is from the download or extraction.

If you have tried multiple sources of the files then it does point toward the extraction process as you suggest.

Have you tried a different program to extract the files from the archive?

Maybe try winzip or winrar if you have been using windows inbuilt mode to extract and see if that has any effect.

I've tried both 7zip and winrar, I'm 99% sure the problem isn't that the file is corrupted or compatibility problems with winrar or other zip file programs, I haven't got a clue whats happening, but I'm computer literate enough to know that I'm not downloading corrupted files, trying differant programs and re-downloading xenonauts from differant sources isn't changing a thing, I've been doing that all day, the problem is in my computer, if somebody requires a log or somthing to analyse just give me a shout, I'll post a log asap, I'm just downloading the zip file again from xenonauts official site as I just uninstaled everything xenonauts from my pc, desura is the worst aswell, it can't even download 1 3rd of the files without saying that the files are corrupt.

The thing is though, whenever i get an error saying that the files are corrupt, I get graphical errors everywhere, in my browser, the error messages, images, shortcuts, the gui of my desktop including icons and the start menu, I can't read anything, text is invisible, stuff disappears, I have to reboot my pc every time, and when I load my pc up again, I am logged out of every thing, youtube, desura, this site, reddit... everything...

I did however notice that whilst I was downloading xenonauts through last time, that a message popped up saying a program was trying to change my default search engine or browser, I blocked it. Straight away I got the corrupted file message again, is it possible that I downloaded a virus when downloading previous versions of xenonauts using torrents?

I'll deep scan my computer tonight whilst I sleep, hopefully sort it out.

Failing that I'll de frag my computer aswell.

yeah, you'll forgive me if I don't rush out and spend hard earned cash on a pc repair guy going through the motions only to not resolve the problem, pfff pc repair profesionals, they're about as profesional as my left nut, took a laptop in once to get a mouse button unstuck, couldn't even do that could they.

Good idea trying out another pc though, I'll get on that when my flat mate returns from england, I'll use his laptop to see if it works.

Just tried using 7-zip again after downloading it, over 5000 errors before my pc crashed again, wow.

(EDIT)

Okay, so I reinstaled and got the exact same problems, I've narrowed it down to the problem being somthing to do with the assets folder, I right clicked it and went into properties, the folders mem usage actualy increases over time... wtf.

see orinialy i figured it was alll the other files, the cfg files and the exe file, but no, it's the assets folder, there is somthing seriously wrong with the assets folder...

Any ideas guys?

Edited by dubs
developments have ocured

I right clicked it and went into properties, the folders mem usage actualy increases over time... wtf.

see orinialy i figured it was alll the other files, the cfg files and the exe file, but no, it's the assets folder, there is somthing seriously wrong with the assets folder...

What does it get up to when you bring up the properties?

It takes a while to settle the first time because of all the small files it needs to check before giving you the final total and should only take a few seconds.

Mine settles on 1.21GB, 1.31GB on disk and 46,156 files in 900 folders.

I have got a couple of backed up folders in there though from modifying files so those numbers wouldn't be exact.

Edited by Gauddlike
Grammatical inaccuracies

I'm extracting everything to the correct location except two folders within the assets folder (tiles and units) and then adding them to the assets folder later, I'll see if this fixes it.

For some reason moving the tiles and units folders in one or together with multiple folders or just extracting the whole folder is corrupting the data and screwing with my pc, god knows why, but it is, I'll report this once I've resolved it and gotten it playable, it is most strange.

I've managed to extract everything, I'm just peicing it all back together now, fingers crossed.

The game should launch and run fine without those two folders.

They are only used when you reach the ground combat, that's where it would crash.

Maybe try without them and see if you still get the crash?

If you do then it is not related to those folders in particular.

Incidentally have you scanned your ram?

Those two folders you mention are the ones that contain the vast majority of the files in the assets folder, over 42,000 of the 46,000 in mine.

If there is a slight problem with the ram maybe all of those tiny little read/write cycles are causing corruption?

Just another possibility.

yeah it's working now, I just had to extract the larger files across in smaller chunks.

I had my virtual ram up pretty high, once I lowered it I was abled to move the tiles folder in one extraction, there was another file, I can't remember which that was a pain in the ass though, I had to go in to it and extract each folder within it individualy.

Yeah it was my ram, too much of my disk space was being used for virtual memory, not enough was left free, it's sorted now, thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...