[V12 - Ground Combat] Shooting alien causes crash to desktop on hit

Hi there, just downloaded the latest build and going through my first playthrough. I shot down an alien craft, landed and was moving my team around the map fairly randomly. I had set a couple of buildings on fire with missiles when I saw my first alien in the distance.

I had one soldier fire a shot, which missed. I then had the tank fire a missile which also missed (and set another building on fire)

Finally I had a second soldier take aim (right clicked a couple times to use more AP?) and fire. The bullet went across the screen (a white line) and when it reached the alien there was a slight pause, it hit, and then the game crashed to Windows with an automated Windows crash report.

Unfortunately due to this crash report being on the screen I was unable to access any other windows or take any screenshots (Print Screen didn't even work) since the entire screen was frozen until I clicked "Close the Program"

Computer settings:

Windows 7 64bit - i7-2600K, Nvidia 580 1.5GB x2 (SLI) - 2560x1600, Fullscreen, anti-aliasing on. Let me know if you need any more information.

Same here, had exactly the same thing.

my computer settings are similar:

Windows 7 64bit - i7-2600K, Nvidia 570 1.5GB - 1920x1080, Fullscreen, anti-aliasing on

I've had this several times too, all showing the same symptoms as above (zero chance to hit shown, shot appears to hit, CTD on impact, save games corrupted, alien wasn't suppressed at the time, happens with various guns and various aliens on the first light scout crashsite mission in a game).

However, the fix described here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/2238-V12-Error-in-weapons_gc.xml-file seems to have cured the problem. Made the change described and then played a fresh game for several hours without a single crash. Nothing else changed on my system apart from the modification to the XML so it may be this that was causing the CTD. Anyone else find this fixes it?

However, the fix described here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/2238-V12-Error-in-weapons_gc.xml-file seems to have cured the problem.

I already posted this in that thread, but I'll repost here:

After some more playing, it seems that this fix only works after starting a completely new game after completely closing out of the Xenonauts program. It did not work for old saves, or for new games started in the same session of playing 'corrupted' saves.

After some more playing, it seems that this fix only works after starting a completely new game after completely closing out of the Xenonauts program. It did not work for old saves, or for new games started in the same session of playing 'corrupted' saves.

Agreed, it doesn't fix old saves.

I made the change with Xenonauts already closed as I wouldn't expect changing source files while the game's running to do anything but make it unstable so I'm not surprised it didn't fix new games in the same session. Glad to hear the fix worked for you too though and it wasn't just circumstantial evidence for me.

To clarify the lingering corruption issue:

1.) Made the change with Xenonauts closed

2.) Open the game

3.) Loaded a pre-fix save

a.) These will crash given enough time

4.) Before it can crash, start a new game

5.) These games will usually crash as quickly as any other

So, there's some variable that remains stored - despite the fix - when the bad saves are loaded first. There might be a second piece to this puzzle that the fix avoids?

I had loaded old working saves, then started a new game without exiting

This is all completely avoided when you simply go straight into a new game with the fix in place.

a thought. many of combat CTS happened to me when i had 0% hit chance, and i still managed to hit. maybe some division by 0 occurs?

When I think back to it, it did happen when wither the chance to hit was 0 (even though there should have been a chance) or the percent was missing. I think they're not foolish enough to divide by 0, but it seems very plausible.

I have the SADS bug fix implemented, so I'll try hitting with 0% chance and see if it replicates.

the problem seems to be related to positioning/targeting. i was on a light scout crashsite (small town, crashed scout in left corner) when i noticed that the 0% chance crashy enemies don't have the square below them light up in red, instead a red square on the left corner of the map lit up red (same corner for different enemies and positions), and you can kill them just fine without any ctds if you use grenades.

and i still get them despite fixing the weapons_gc bug and starting a new game, so i don't think it's related to that.

I just had this same crash however I noticed something else odd before it happened:

I was carefully surrounding an unsuspecting alien planning my attack as everytime I looked to shot it the chance to hit was 0. Then after several turns I realised it was not moving at all. It didn't move, turn, shoot or rection fire at any of my units. I thought this very odd but assumed it was a glitch related to the 0% hit chance at 4 tiles away so shot at it and the game crashed.

tested for last 3 hours. CDT while shot ing definitelly happens on 0% shots. also interesting thing: game CDT'ed when local soilder shoot the alien

Ninja edit:

0% aliens dont seem to move/react to soilders walking around them.

Conspiracy thepory: they got killed by locals ( during hidden movement phase) and didnt notice they are dead

Edited by lamhirh

just had this... whitehead alien was shot and apparently ko'd, i thought he was dead and moved on. He woke up and killed one of my troopers from behind whilst i was clearing the ufo.

2 troopers fired on him from close range, bursts with 30%+ accuracy showing on the cursor, missed/clipped him. One trooper fired from much further away with 15% accuracy showing, missed. No suppression evident.

His turn, he moved 2 squares forward.

My turn i fire a single aimed shot from the closest trooper with 0% showing. Game freezes. ctrlaltdel to force to desktop, vista stopped responding error. Buffer overflow. Error details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: Xenonauts.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 4fde284a

Fault Module Name: Xenonauts.exe

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4fde284a

Exception Offset: 00343ce4

Exception Code: c0000417

Exception Data: 00000000

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 417e

Additional Information 2: be402af29279fca4f417d6abad0334ae

Additional Information 3: 526e

Additional Information 4: b1161861fc43b0f2a2ac93cd9f6d19a4

(exact same error details as the suppression bug: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/2219-V12-Lots-of-suppression-causes-crash?p=27467&viewfull=1#post27467)

I'm getting this too. I implemented the fix mentioned here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/2238-V12-Error-in-weapons_gc.xml-file

Then started a brand new game. On my first ground mission, on the first turn an AI friendly soldier fires on an alien out of my site site but doesn't hit it. On the second turn nobody fires. On the third turn the alien comes into view. My % chance of hitting is listed as 0% for both sniper rifle and m16. I take the shot anyways with the sniper, he hits but doesn't kill, alien is surpressed(with the surpressed symbol over his head, and he crouches). I take a second shot with the m16, it hits and game CTDs.

Done some more basic testing. It only happens to me (4 times so far after fix) when the hit chance is missing or at 0%.

One problem seems to be line of sight. I have had instances where I have no line of sight (ie. a displayed %-chance to hit) until I stand immediately beside the alien. At other times I have 0% (or missing value) until I get an arbitrary number of squares away (and take immediate reaction fire). To me it looks like there are invisible walls blocking line of sight (but not movement). I can sometimes get a %-value from one angle just to get no value when I move one or a few spaces in either direction.

I just got this CTD as well. I fired at an alien with no identified hit % and right before it hit, CTD. Unfortunately, now every time I attempt to reload the save I made prior to that turn it CTDs. I have read there is a fix and have not looked into it as of yet, but wanted to add my info.

Edited by Bullshaz

Hello,

saw the bugs, mostly either with 0% or no "accuracy" stats eventhough have clean line of sight. Did not want premature crash. Instead i used grenade (does show % accuracy) on the alien (mostly sebillian). 50% chance get my % back with guns. if not getting it, no problem more grenades (noted two or three pineapples will take out a unarmored sebillian).

This is with the xml suggested fix

R

noticed something else interesting. in same combat mission, two sebillians was found, with first sebillian, has 0% gun problem, then i found 2nd one inside light scout, and not show % with gun aimed. I lobbed total of five grenades (the 1st one was outdoor).

Edited by rynait

I'm not sure if this is just coincidence or not, but if you manually target the tile the alien is on instead of the alien (missing % or 0% to hit), it seems to result in fewer crashes. Of course I've still crashed occasionally just before the shot hits (but not every time I hit a 0% alien).

But I might just be imagining things.

Edit:

Why would the game divide by your hit chance? I know what happens when you divide by zero.. but why would the game do it in the first place? What is the algorithm used?

This is the accuracy calculation, don't know if it helps:

http://xenowiki.goldhawkinteractive.com/index.php?title=Accuracy_Calculation

Edited by Khall