Build V10 Released (Kickstarter Press Build)!

Ok having issues with the game

1) played for 2 weeks real life and I have not been able to research lasers or wolf armour in any game. 14days playing.

I have tried not saving or loading to no avail.

2) Just played game with v10 and 1st light scout did not appear over Europe until the end of July.

1st scout appeared 14th August.

There are too many fighters and not enough actual missions.

1st corvette arrived 30th August and immediately turned into a terror site in Lagos.

My last research was alien grenades 16 days previous.

3) Terror site was all grass, no buildings very exposed.

This meant entire team was wiped out by reaction fire within about 8 turns.

No wolf armour or lasers meant I was 1 hit killed -11 points, but took 3shots 2 kill back.

4) If you make a mistake or lose an aircraft the game is now very unforgiving. I lost 2 migs by silly mistakes and ended up broke rebuilding them. That took me selling 100 alloys, alien weapons and 30 flares.

:) It's not silly, but it's probably not quite interesting enough.

I'll think some more about what we could call them. They're meant to be good at harassing and stinging enemy units, rather than being full-blown combatants. Hornet drones, maybe?

Well, the scientific name for the hornet is Vespa, which would make a great name if the darn motor scooter company hadn't taken it already.

Yup, just learned that myself.

It's really a damn shame, because I think that would've been both a suitably cool name, as well as a pretty "scientific" one in the sense that the Xenonauts' science department might call it that.

I'll have to see if I can dig up any other wasp/hornet-related material.

Oooh so excited to try this out, hopefully there won't be any game freezing bugs that require me to start all over. Oh, and names for the drones could be Prober, Penetrator and Violator... or not. :x

I'm dissapointed in the lack of subtlety... there's no double entendre at all :(

Peregrinator, Tormentor, Terminator?

The first word is a synonym of floater and means itinerant wanderer, so that's got connotations back to the original and the second and third were just words that increase in severity but both follow the theme of wandering / stalking / killing, and both end in -or obviously.

Sorry, that stuff is too highbrow for me. :D

Star_control_i_syreen_penetrator_databank.png

That made me chuckle. or giggle. Yep, definetly giggle.

Yevgeniy: You keep posting that despite the reference/term not getting across to most people (or so I assume)

Have you even argued as to why it should be included or are you just asking for peoples opinion about it? And wasn't that suggestion pretty much shot down in the arme blanche thread?

For the drone names, should we not be thinking what the people of the times would have come up with? Terminator-esque name make sense to us, but what would they have looked like to grunts back then?

Toilet seat lids? (head floaters? Ha!)

Dougnuts?

Maybe someone who was older than three back then could come up with something they remind them of from back then.

It's not like the aliens get entries put into a Jane's all the worlds killer alien robots edition with their preferred name.

I kept on calling a new aircraft type we got that did not have an official designation the Sumo. It was not given the honour of a name as it was only purchased for maintenance training. Now the name has stuck. I called it Sumo because it looked kind of rotund, but could actually move a lot faster than you would think. And it was a Japanese design.

That is how lots of stuff really gets named.

For the drone names, should we not be thinking what the people of the times would have come up with? Terminator-esque name make sense to us, but what would they have looked like to grunts back then?

Toilet seat lids? (head floaters? Ha!)

Dougnuts?

Maybe someone who was older than three back then could come up with something they remind them of from back then.

It's not like the aliens get entries put into a Jane's all the worlds killer alien robots edition with their preferred name.

I kept on calling a new aircraft type we got that did not have an official designation the Sumo. It was not given the honour of a name as it was only purchased for maintenance training. Now the name has stuck. I called it Sumo because it looked kind of rotund, but could actually move a lot faster than you would think. And it was a Japanese design.

That is how lots of stuff really gets named.

Yep, that's what I've been struggling with as it makes sense that the names would be what the humans refer to them as, but I think the soldiers in the field would call them something fairly derogatory, such as the names you suggest! It's like in Warhammer 40k lore, Carnifexes were orginally called Screamer Killers in the rules, because that's the name Imperial Guard troopers came up with for them.

Given that Caesan and Sebillian aren't named in that style though, should we assume that it's the human scientists who name each race as they're studying them? Hence why they're not just called 'greys' and 'lizard bastards' in game?? So the drones should follow in the same vein maybe?

How about;

Roto-drone

Roto-hunter

Roto-whatthehellisthat?!? :) (or Roto-tank if you'd prefer, assuming the tank version also hovers? If not, then Moto-hunter could work)

Yep, that's what I've been struggling with as it makes sense that the names would be what the humans refer to them as, but I think the soldiers in the field would call them something fairly derogatory, such as the names you suggest! It's like in Warhammer 40k lore, Carnifexes were orginally called Screamer Killers in the rules, because that's the name Imperial Guard troopers came up with for them.

Given that Caesan and Sebillian aren't named in that style though, should we assume that it's the human scientists who name each race as they're studying them? Hence why they're not just called 'greys' and 'lizard bastards' in game?? So the drones should follow in the same vein maybe?

This is a fair point. I think however properly naming them is the best way to go. Ultimately it's the player that reads the names and interact with the units. Slurs for the enemy can be worked into lore, but units should have "official" and cool names despite this. The game should not trivialize the threat you face by referring to a Vanquisher as a toilet seat lid!

Oh right the Firaxis thread reminded me about something someone suggested some time ago. What about nameing the saucerbots "Firaxians"?

Or some anagram of that :P

Could also involve 2Kmarin and microprose. You would probably need to flesh out 2Kmarin a bit (with UFO or XCOM) but it does provide for "mk2" to be in the name :P