Question about kneeling soldiers

When setting up troops for reaction fire, I often have a kneeling soldier, with a solider right behind him, also waiting.

If the rear solider is kneeling also, will he shoot the man in front when taking a reaction fire? Is it safer to have the rear solider standing? :confused:

Thanks

A soldier must be standing to shoot over an adjacent kneeling soldier, yes.
I don't think that is correct. I believe the soldier behind the kneeler can also kneel without hitting the guy in front. It's the THIRD soldier either standing or kneeling that can accidently hit the front guy.

I don't think that is correct. I believe the soldier behind the kneeler can also kneel without hitting the guy in front. It's the THIRD soldier either standing or kneeling that can accidently hit the front guy.

Really? You could be right. I don't think I've ever tried it as I've always worked on the assumption that you need to be standing to ignore the kneeling soldier. I guess a test is called for, then.

I've done this so many times. I can assure you: kneeling soldiers have no chance whatsoever to shoot the guy they're kneeling behind of, if he is also crouched... As long as he's in an adjacent square.

If he's so much as two squares away, he's an interfering obstacle, which means he might well be shot up.

Oh my god! That is a life saver! I've been trying to work out how to advance an assault shot-gunner down a UFO hallway safely behind a kneeling Shield/pistol guy. I figured kneeling he'd take out the shield guy with reaction fire, but standing, he seems to be unprotected by the shield (keeps getting hit by aliens in front).

New tactic time!

Edited by gnarly

Oh my god! That is a life saver! I've been trying to work out how to advance an assault shot-gunner down a UFO hallway safely behind a kneeling Shield/pistol guy. I figured kneeling he'd take out the shield guy with reaction fire, but standing, he seems to be unprotected by the shield (keeps getting hit by aliens in front).

New tactic time!

Kneeling won't increase the block chance, although it will decrease the hit chance due to the normal kneeling bonus of course.