Valkyrie Abort Ablity

Is there a way for the Valkyrie drop ship to successfully rescue a ground team when they abort a mission, similar to how you would abort an alien base raid - where you simply return to a designated spot usually it was inside the dropship. But since there is no ship to return to maybe there is a Landing zone that they could rush back to, if its a feature then rather than some bug - then okay then xD I am curious why the best dropship is missing this capability though, its not like the dropship can't land - because the Valkyrie is the Xenonauts return transport.

As far as I'm aware, its a feature. I've always assumed that its too dangerous for the Valkyrie to land when its a combat area, or that your troops are actually flown back with local transport after.

I agree it's reasonable to consider it a feature if that's the case (never used Valkyrie myself) although too unsafe to land in combat area doesn't make much sense after all the aliens from the limited crash site have actually been killed :)

I always assumed they caught the Valkyrie back, because I had a play where they were unfortunately shot down - on the way back xD

I tried the whole returning to their drop "squares"; didn't work. Like its fine that there is no cover when they land, its clearly feature - but not being able to return seems to be quite a draw back - even though generally I never ever aborted with a Valkyrie.

Edited by NotAnyoneSpecial

If you look for "xenoPoint" under assets//maps/dropships/Valkyrie/ , there are tiles set only for insertion (="0") but not for extration (="1").

I don't know if it's intentional or an oversight that one cannot return using a Valkyrie. It doesn't make sense that the ultimate in dropship technology wouldn't be able to land and get the troops out just because it has an unusual insertion technique, when even a measly Chinook can do it.

I'm pretty sure Chris said a few months ago that you should be able to abort when using a Valkarie. So I don't think it's intended. Surprised it didn't get fixed, though, as it sounded like a fix was going to happen (indeed, I thought it was fixed!)

Yep I just tried this myself. Landed at a ufo crash site, didn't move any troopers on first turn (they were still standing in their drop pod landing spots), tried to abort and it won't let me without losing the entire team.

When i tried it using shrike and the starting chopper it works fine.

Ilunak, you get easily perturbed when a few (2-3 ?) people just happen to post repeatable confirmation of a bug in the game. You do of course realize it often takes multiple people to verify or disprove a possible bug, yes? If it was just 1 or 2 people reporting an issue then it might just be an anomaly and not a bug.. but getting more people to post verification or denial of potential issue is important for purposes of getting the developers to look at it... responding harshly just because 2-3 people post verification seems excessive on your behalf.

Granted, this thread should probably be in the bugs forum though.

Granted, this thread should probably be in the bugs forum though.

Unless it's intended, since valkyrie's particular way of dropping soldiers :P

I still didn't understand if it's working as intended or not.

I posted this here, mostly because I am myself not sure whether this is a bug or a feature - the xenopedia does not mention this at all as a drawback leaving this ambigious, I too heard Chris mention this as a bug way back. I'm not sure though weather somewhere in development this became a feature instead of a bug, to act as a sort of "counter-balance" to the Valkyrie.

If you set the xenopoints to 1 you can indeed extract, however the area of extraction is not marked in any way. If you just alter the maps original xenopoints, its a 6x6 area, you can of course increase this. I believe the Valkyrie submap is a 10x10. I have tried making all these tiles extract, and its fine, but then you can deploy anywhere in that area also. Which doesnt make sense when you have a green deploy area. that I was able to deploy outside of. Ideally I suppose you would limit it to the 6x6 but mark the zone so the player knows where it is, maybe with 4 flares or markers to higlight the 6x6 extraction zone, but that would require props and map editing. - Not my strong point.

But yeah, in general, the top tier dropship cannot extract, seems like this is very bad for a potential upgrade also when you consider the lack of cover it provides at the mission start.

Edited by Jace11

If you set the xenopoints to 1 you can indeed extract, however the area of extraction is not marked in any way. If you just alter the maps original xenopoints, its a 6x6 area, you can of course increase this. I believe the Valkyrie submap is a 10x10. I have tried making all these tiles extract, and its fine, but then you can deploy anywhere in that area also. Which doesnt make sense when you have a green deploy area. that I was able to deploy outside of. Ideally I suppose you would limit it to the 6x6 but mark the zone so the player knows where it is, maybe with 4 flares or markers to higlight the 6x6 extraction zone, but that would require props and map editing. - Not my strong point.

But yeah, in general, the top tier dropship cannot extract, seems like this is very bad for a potential upgrade also when you consider the lack of cover it provides at the mission start.

If I get a chance I might look at this tomorrow - it would be easy enough to add some kind of marker to the extraction point.