(New version) XNT Into Darkness V5.0 - "PlatinumDragon" (New Game Universe Mod)

Hellow, I have a question.

Description, that appears when pointing cursor to the weapons, have correct values?

Becose there is writen then the mashine gun have 80% TU use, but this is incorrect =) and what about the others characteristics?

Tnx ))

Yeah,string.xml has vanilla values.We will correct this in later updates.

@GooberCat

Your PC is more than strong enough to run this game so it is not problem in that.Can you send me a save file ?

Edited by Sentelin

I've been playing XNT on and off for the last three versions (I have a specific copy of Xenonauts just for XNT!). Problem is, XNT updates so rapidly that it's been hard to develop a reasonable review of the mod. I'm fed up with trying to do a playthrough, so here's some first impressions of the latest update I've been able to install.

First off, I don't think this is going to go onto Steam Workshop with the current main menu background. I'm not going to say what it is, but that particular background could be troublesome legally.

GEOSCAPE: Compared to vanilla, I have a crapton of money to spend. I've set up bases across the globe, we'll see if I get cripped due to maintenance costs.

AIR COMBAT: Tried out the Apollo. The speed is nice, but currently the only way I can use it is to fire missiles then run away. It has such a low turning circle and is so weak that I'd never consider getting into dogfight range.

GROUND COMBAT: In the two missions I've played, ground combat was very static. There was a fight almost outside of my dropship then there was a fight outside the UFO. The rest of the map felt unused. Vortex launchers could stand to fire one less shot a turn. Being bombarded by Vortex shots was frustrating. At one point in the mission, 6 soliders had been ko'd by vortex shots. The new sounds are much nicer than the existing sounds. The LMG felt lesser in comparison to the vanilla LMG. Funny how five less shots seems now.

RESEARCH: The zombie things from the first scout I encountered didn't appear on research as an autopsy, and I got a reaper autopsy in the Scout. Reapers in Scouts? I think you're front-loading the early craft a little bit. I'm concerned that you might "blow your wad" as it were, and leave nothing new or interesting in the later ufos. But we'll see.

EDIT: I personally believe that as English isn't the first language of the XNT developers, you're going to face problems with tricks of the language - slang, certain types of phrasing, words that might "feel" better to a native English speaker in the Xenopedia. I could take a look through the articles and give my suggestions, if you like.

Edited by Max_Caine

Yes, TD has no experience with licensing, as soon the workshop is there, I will make sure there are no licence problems so don't worry.

In late game I have 5 bases, and do mass production. I can maintain them without problems. Money is hard to balance, players who know what they are doing will have an extreme high income, the others not.

For aircombat I have to say that I am a auto resolve guy ^^

Groundcombat will change, atm there is such much new stuff, its just need time till we reach a point where we can "smooth" the gameplay and not putting new stuff in.

Also there are a lot more new sounds (use the hotfixed hotfix), an much much more will come (I personally think sound is very important to a game and changes a lot).

I personally think that UFO crews should be more changes yes, we will discuss that.

Yes TD had his moments with english xD

I cant talk for the others, only for myself I do speak english very well, I am just not used to write it (as you may see) ^^

Would be great if you want to help us with some aricles, just write TD a PM :)

@Max, Thank you so much for your feedback, I'll try to cover your points the best way I can.

I've been playing XNT on and off for the last three versions (I have a specific copy of Xenonauts just for XNT!). Problem is, XNT updates so rapidly that it's been hard to develop a reasonable review of the mod. I'm fed up with trying to do a playthrough, so here's some first impressions of the latest update I've been able to install.

Yes, XNT:ITD update quick, we want to listen players and make modifications and new content to be very enjoyable.

First off, I don't think this is going to go onto Steam Workshop with the current main menu background. I'm not going to say what it is, but that particular background could be troublesome legally.

This is not a problem, we know it. A single image or weapon is not a real problem, we have personal designers working on polished material exclusive for the mod. Any help is welcome here :D

GEOSCAPE: Compared to vanilla, I have a crapton of money to spend. I've set up bases across the globe, we'll see if I get cripped due to maintenance costs.

As Sentelin says, XNT is planned to have deep strategy component, the starting money is only the first resource that you have. Aliens will destroy imminent the world funding and your soldiers will dont stay alive too long in battle with conventional weaponry. Forget about all you play in vanilla, design a path of research and try to plan for the future.

AIR COMBAT: Tried out the Apollo. The speed is nice, but currently the only way I can use it is to fire missiles then run away. It has such a low turning circle and is so weak that I'd never consider getting into dogfight range.

Apollo has a unique role in geospace, scout alien ships out of radar areas. Is not a fighter but this aircraft in hand of skillful player can deal with Light Scouts and even a Scout.

GROUND COMBAT: In the two missions I've played, ground combat was very static. There was a fight almost outside of my dropship then there was a fight outside the UFO. The rest of the map felt unused. Vortex launchers could stand to fire one less shot a turn. Being bombarded by Vortex shots was frustrating. At one point in the mission, 6 soliders had been ko'd by vortex shots. The new sounds are much nicer than the existing sounds. The LMG felt lesser in comparison to the vanilla LMG. Funny how five less shots seems now.

Each mission is unique in XNT, and aliens react different to the map. With only 2 ground combats is difficult to taste the real meaning of ground combat. Vortex launcher is a weapon designed to change player conditions, first use spread formation second disable soldiers without killing it, this low the damage output of the player significant. Remember that you can recover soldiers in the ground with the medipack, so the vortex is not frustrating, is a panic weapon, not a real threat by itself.

RESEARCH: The zombie things from the first scout I encountered didn't appear on research as an autopsy, and I got a reaper autopsy in the Scout. Reapers in Scouts? I think you're front-loading the early craft a little bit. I'm concerned that you might "blow your wad" as it were, and leave nothing new or interesting in the later ufos. But we'll see.

Yes, for now the new aliens is not included in xenopedia, they are marked as reapers. The early UFOs has low rank Vipers and Gargols, latter you will be surprised with the diversity of enemies.

EDIT: I personally believe that as English isn't the first language of the XNT developers, you're going to face problems with tricks of the language - slang, certain types of phrasing, words that might "feel" better to a native English speaker in the Xenopedia. I could take a look through the articles and give my suggestions, if you like.

Yes, english is not my first language and each orthographically error is my fault. :confused:

We want to improve, test the mod for a while until you develop some of the Advanced Ballistic weapons.

Small Note: Remember that world founding is fragile and low in this mod, the only way to have solid income is by MANUFACTURING, specially early armors gives god amount of money but cost too much spaces and personnel.

Thanks for your review Max :)

3 MORE MISSIONS IN:

Research: It's nice having lots of things to research, I'm always keen to see what's around the next corner.

AIR COMBAT: Currently I have 2 Apollos which mug scouts and light scouts. While rearming is the same speed as Condors, they travel so quickly in comparison to Condors that even with the artifical rearm/reload speed I can send them out on more missions than Condors. This is because they spend less time getting to the target and far less time chasing them about. I would certainly never send 1 Apollo verses a Scout, but I'm considering ditching my Condors and replacing them with Apollos. Autoresolve with Apollos is more reliably successful than Air Combat, so I tend to autoresolve.

GROUND COMBAT: I have far less to fear from death and far more to fear from stunning. Everything causes stunning to a greater or lesser degree, and it feels like most alien gear stuns than kills. I now have dedicated medics with 3 medikits who are on standby when someone, or more than 1 someone gets stunned.

Word of warning before CTD reports start showing up:If you updated game to 1.06 make sure that you overwrite vanilla researches.xml, xenopedia.xml files with XNT:ID researches.xml, xenopedia.xml files.Mod is not compatible with 1.06,so for the best game play experience if you are still at 1.05 don't update game until we release compatibility patch.

Edited by Sentelin

GROUND COMBAT: I have far less to fear from death and far more to fear from stunning. Everything causes stunning to a greater or lesser degree, and it feels like most alien gear stuns than kills. I now have dedicated medics with 3 medikits who are on standby when someone, or more than 1 someone gets stunned.

F17 and Apollos are different when Fighters appear in the game, so be carefull, Apollo is pretty difficult to use against alien interceptors, F17 is sturdy enough to resist a combat against them.

Lets wait until you see the advanced Vortex projectors that can actually kill :$

HOTFIX UPDATE No.41

Powersuit.jpg

Hello Great Players of XNT Into Darkness,

Finally we manage to update the mod to the version 1.06, we include more important modifications:

Thanks for playing and keep sending us your feedback!

Your awesome!

DOWNLOAD HOTFIX UPDATE V5.01

Download Link Compatibility Fix V5.1

XNT V5.10 HotFix

- Compatibility with 1.06 Version.

- New sounds included

- No aliens present on the crashsite fixed.

- Machineguns gains 3 point of armor mitigation.

- Charlie has 8 capacity again (Sorry... I know we love it, but is gamebreaker)

- Minor visual fixes

- AI Minor adjustments.

Powersuit.jpg

Powersuit.jpg.a4891600e80c62e91aff2b7978

Edited by TacticalDragon

thank you very much TacticalDragon

I commend you for the great work

the game is awesome!!

I'm 33 years old and I played the original xcom in 1994

greetings from Argentina

I drop a tear..

Thank you soo much, Im glad you like the mod and all the effort.

By the way beautiful country is Argentina.

^^

Thanks Gray,

Yes I miss disable this debug tool, but its ok, we want that players test the mod and this tool sometimes can help to check UFOs or bases sometimes.

About new soldiers I will keep checking the behavior. Try the settings at the way is set for the mod and give me a review. Is spread right now, we want to test progression.

Any other opinion is welcome.

Thank you gray ^^

I tested today OpenXcom and found a very interresting mod, and I am asking yself if something similar detailed is doable for Xenonauts/XNT. Its a soldier tracking / commendation mod, adds much to immersion of the soldiers. Maybe someone can look at it. :)

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/soldier-diaries-stat-tracking

Edited by Gray Carlyle

I tested today OpenXcom and found a very interresting mod, and I am asking yself if something similar detailed is doable for Xenonauts/XNT. Its a soldier tracking / commendation mod, adds much to immersion of the soldiers. Maybe someone can look at it.

Don't count on it. This would require extensive hardcoding on so many levels ...

So on a scale of 0 (very easy) to 10 (impossible to make), this would probably score 11.

Though, I would like to have a tracker like that. Hatts off to the brave man who ever accomplishes something like this.

Great job with the mod development! I haven't had the time to really test it at the moment with the World Cup and friends visiting. Next week I will have more time but just to show my appreciation and saying that I am excited and looking forward to play the new version of the mod.

Looks great with the additions you guys made.

Feedback will follow asap!

Thanks guys, you are the best!

How do i disable the UFO wave countdown in the bottom right? I really don't want to see that as it breaks immersion.

Thanks

Hello and thanks for your answer :)

Dont worry enjoy the World Cup.

Pypok, yes its possible to disable it, I will personally send you the moded single file.

Anyone that want to remove it write me an inbox.

:cool:

Thank you!

Wer glad you guys enjoy the mod.