Khall's Tundra Tileset

Khall

Ok, I managed to shoot down a landing ship over Siberia and got a tundra map right off the bat. That's the good news; the bad news is the map. Started from what I'd describe as the southern end; there were three buildings more or less in a row in visual range, all with similar interior props. There were two south-facing wall sections present, but other than that all 3 buildings had no walls, no floor, and no roofs. Basically just almost identical sets of furniture and kitchen appliances sitting there on the frozen grass.

Beyond those buildings there was a black 5-tile-wide band that ran horizontally across the map. A tractor was sitting in this band, but otherwise it performed something like a pit; it could be flown over, but not walked across. On the other side of the band were two more sets of furniture on the grass and a well between them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hopefully my description helps you to identify which map it was.

Reloaded and got another map, this time an end-to-end open field with nothing whatsoever in it save for a few scattered waist-high pine shrubs and a few patches of crushable grass. If that was your intention then the map worked just fine (it was certainly a challenge to cross with almost zero cover) but it was a bit....barren.

Reloaded 4-5 more times and the game kept alternating between those two maps.

Massive (carrier) map next. Same issues as the first medium map; buildings with no walls, floors or roofs, just furniture on grass. Another 5-tile-wide black band (I assume it's meant to be a road) with the same properties (can only be flown across) running north-to-south, eventually intersecting an east-to-west black band. Can also see the circular shadows on the ground from ETs flying around, but I can neither see nor target those aliens.

The other carrier map that appears is also a wide-open, featureless field.

Had the same issue as dpelectric mentioned. It seems to be the same issue that I was having with my farm map pack that Giovanni managed to find a solution for.

For whatever reason, the modular loading system doesn't like capital letters in the submap folder names. If you change all the submap folders to lower case (and make the same changes in the map files themselves) that should solve the issue.

(I tested it on the road_tundra_UD5 submaps which was one of the problematic ones and it was working fine afterwards).

I've done a full reinstall and downloaded the maps. I think the reason I didn't get any issues is because I had the pack in my assets folder as well. So far I've noticed some submaps missing, like the roads and some fences (the ones that have uppercase in the name as kabill said) but buildings seem fine (wall, roofs and floor are there) and forest areas seem fine, lots of trees and props, so they shouldn't be barren.

Maybe something went wrong in the installation, can you try reinstalling the mod. There shouldn't be that many issues with buildings, forests and aliens not appearing.

I've changed the submap names to lowercase, and it seems to have fixed the roads and fences not appearing. I haven't been able to reproduce the issues with buildings and forest submaps, they all work for me. But hopefully changing the submap names will also fix that.

Updated in Steam workshop, if those other issues still persist, can you get a screenshot of them, since I don't seem to get them

Thanks, Khall for fixing this! I just installed your update and combat is possible again. ;)

However, I am just wondering if it is normal that all houses on your tundra maps are (still) missing most of their roofs?

2014-11-11_00002.jpg

I'm not really familiar with Russian architecture, but I guess this is not as it was intended. :D

Is this anything you can reproduce and confirm whether it's a bug or on purpose?

One more issue I just realized is that you cannot climb through broken windows...

2014-11-11_00002.jpg

2014-11-11_00002.thumb.jpg.760dcffba4ed9

Edited by Reinski
added another issue

Hmmm. That was an issue in vanilla Xenonauts for a while....I can't remember what was causing it in the end, though. Was it the LOS mechanics?

Looking at the image, the soldier at the bottom of the screen should be able to see the second row of roof tiles on the north-east edge of the building he is facing but it's darkened like it can't be seen. So it could be a LoS issue (although I don't recall having seen anything similar on other tilesets) or it could be the spectres (perhaps they are set to block LoS and therefore aren't allowing LoS to the parts further back?)

EDIT: Yeah, the visibility score for the level 1 roof tiles is set to 0, so it's not allowing LoS through to the other ones.

Edited by kabill

New update, fixed the issue with roofs (thanks for the advice), fixed a few spectres and added 2 more submaps for each building, doubling the variety.

I also added the ability to vault through broken windows, but they only seem to work one way, from the inside. Don't really know what's happening there.

Incidentally the level editor seems to be broken in v1.52, does anyone know how to fix it or has an older version they could send?

Thanks, Khall, for fixing so far!

Hopefully, there'll be a solution for the window-issue as well - would be great if you could keep us updated here.

As far as I see, neither the Steam-client nor the Launcher is informing automatically about updates to mods, so most convenient is to subscribe to this thread. :)

Is anybody else having trouble with Steam Workshop? I had no problem getting this mod (and others) before, but now it's not working right. I keep subscribing/unsubscribing, reloading Steam, reloading Xenonauts, no matter what I do I can only get Lore + and Dynamic UFOs, and even they have to be reactivated in the launcher screen every time...?

Edit: Ok, through repeated attempts I manged to get Kabill's Desert & Arctic packs, but I still can't get the Farm pack, nor Khall's Portraits or Tundra pack

Edited by dpelectric

Is anybody else having trouble with Steam Workshop? I had no problem getting this mod (and others) before, but now it's not working right. I keep subscribing/unsubscribing, reloading Steam, reloading Xenonauts, no matter what I do I can only get Lore + and Dynamic UFOs, and even they have to be reactivated in the launcher screen every time...?

Edit: Ok, through repeated attempts I manged to get Kabill's Desert & Arctic packs, but I still can't get the Farm pack, nor Khall's Portraits or Tundra pack

Dunno if it's the same issue, but it usually takes a while for Steam to get round to downloading anything I subscribe to and it doesn't seem to actually tell me that it's downloading. Have had this with other games too, so I suspect it's something to do with my machine/internet connection or Steam rather than Xenonauts.

Yeah, that's what I meant as well. Steam client doesn't seem to indicate anything about workshop objects. Neither availability of updates nor download progress.

And to me its behavior regarding downloading is a black box. I subscribed to a lot of mods/map packs at once, but the download seems to be triggered only by starting the game launcher. And each time I did so, it had only downloaded one mod. I had to leave the launcher and start it again to see the next mod and so on.

Oh, and the activation of mods will only be remembered when you finally started the game itself. :-/

But we're getting a little off topic. Sorry for that! :)

Have sent a PM with a link to the map editor.

Thanks, I got it, it works fine now.

tundra24.jpg

I've started to work on tiles for military bases as well, here's my progress so far.

I'll do a military map base for each map size (lightscout, small, medium, large) once I get the tiles done. Eventually I'm aiming for roughly 2 wilderness, 2 rural and a military map for each map size.

tundra24.jpg

tundra24.jpg.baf307e17c564bde1244c503c51

• 3 weeks later...

Work on military bases is going along very well. I've added the majority of tiles, completed quite a few submaps (which I will make different versions of in the future of variety), and created 3 military base maps, for lightscouts, small and medium UFO's.

Next step is to finish the military tiles, improve current maps, make more maps, start on some railway tiles maybe, make more maps, etc.

Some Images:

tundra26.jpg

tundra27.jpg

tundra28.jpg

tundra29.jpg

tundra30.jpg

Updated in download section and Steam Workshop.

Btw I've also noticed some tiles don't seem to work properly if I just use steam workshop to use the pack (the tiles, maps, etc. are in the mod folder), but everything works fine if I have the files directly in the assets folder. I'll need to do some more testing, but if there's any problem with tiles it'll probably be that, I've checked the spectres and tested the maps, and it all looks ok.

tundra26.jpg

tundra27.jpg

tundra28.jpg

tundra29.jpg

tundra30.jpg

tundra26.jpg.74aadd6359b9f486bdf7474655c

tundra27.thumb.jpg.250b799a05ef9b1a8b0b1

tundra28.jpg.3ab862c0000a1f7e59cc2c1d6a2

tundra29.thumb.jpg.dd9c84b0e19b10b722778

tundra30.thumb.jpg.3208a226460b4b319419d

Btw I've also noticed some tiles don't seem to work properly if I just use steam workshop to use the pack (the tiles, maps, etc. are in the mod folder), but everything works fine if I have the files directly in the assets folder. I'll need to do some more testing, but if there's any problem with tiles it'll probably be that, I've checked the spectres and tested the maps, and it all looks ok.

I think this issue is supposed to be fixed by llunak in the new XCE build and I assume that fix will be ported to v1.5 stable so hopefully it won't be an issue when it goes live.

I think this issue is supposed to be fixed by llunak in the new XCE build and I assume that fix will be ported to v1.5 stable so hopefully it won't be an issue when it goes live.

Yes, and if the problem still persists even with the latest X:CE, just make a bugreport.