Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Face Mod needs Blank Face for Xenonauts Infantry Models

Well, I was going to keep quiet, but, I guess I can throw in if I feel well enough. I can do artwork and am pretty proficient with photoshop. Scripting on the other hand, not really my thing. If someone else wants to skript a system to get this working with interchangable face-parts for more randomized soldiers I could do the art assets using what we have now.

Thoughts?
    What do I see? I see time as it affects all things. Human flesh whithers and dies before my eyes. Flowers bloom, only to fade. Trees drop green leaves, never to regain them. In my sight, it is always winter, always night. ~ Raistlin Majere

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    Well if you could cut up the faces and give them back to Chris (in different layers) then he could give them to the community as a little challenge of "build your favourate soldier" kind of competition. Those that are best would make it into the game, and perhaps if he was feeling generous he'd put the face-makers name as a thank you too?

Perhaps you could cut up say two more faces from the file, and then you and I can play around with them and the one I have already done and see if this system will actually work, then we can go to Chris with it (and some working examples)
    Last edited by anotherdevil; 03-07-2012 at 02:16.
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens

Quote Originally Posted by NoIdidnt View Post
    Wow! nice job on that AD.

this reminded me about a cartoonist that i knew years ago that told me about a facial feature system he had learned.
    if you could learn this system you could draw anyones face with just a glance.

he said there are only so many types of each feature of any face. *7 diff. noses, 5 diff. chins, 9 diff. eyes and so on*

from those numbers you can create any face.

this guy would look out into a croud and in 4 minutes hand me a picture that i could actually pick that person out of the crowd with, and once he started drawing he never looked back at the person.

seems like that would be an easy way to do faces for a game. just create those basic features then paste them together.
    which is kind of what you are doing AD. You get an A+++

the guy didnt even have to remember what someone looked like, all he saw was 3/6/4/1/8/2 and could draw them perfectly.

not sure people are getting what im saying in this post. it would meen that if someone actually new that facial feature system and was able to create it in useable layers you could actually paste together a very good likeness of yourself.

yes i realize how much work this would be but still would be cool to see some day.
    Last edited by NoIdidnt; 03-07-2012 at 08:28.
    Preordering Xenonauts is like buying a puppy instead of a 4 year old dog.
    And a big THANX to Anotherdevil for his work in mods, my promotion, and my new look!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinetree View Post
    If you look in assets/soldierimages/faces there's a master portraits photoshop file to play around with.You could get the different layers in there quite easily
    Would someone be able to get this image and e-mail me it? I'm on a mac at the moment and have no access to my PC, so I can't find them myself...

Ok so here is another wee knock up. The angle of the uniform is wrong (Sorry I forget who's avatar I stole it off) but you can see how easy it is to transpose someone elses face in to a new uniform. It should be no different doing the same with parts of faces (I did have to alter the hair and right ear a little to fit it under the cap, but that's because of the angle of it all).

Welcome to the officers NoIDidnt!
    http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/...irNoIDidnt.jpg

Nice! lol

and all i needed to do was have my face ripped off!
    It was well worth the pain.
    And a big THANX to Anotherdevil for his work in mods, my promotion, and my new look!

Ha ha nice, Now if only someone could alter the hat a little so it looked like it matched your face =p

Its not the hat thats off, its my head.

Previous war wound, you know..steel plate sorta thing.

Thats also why i say words like *SORTA*.

I'm sure a lot of soldiers wear their caps at a jaunty little angle.

I am not sure if this was what the OP had in mind.
    I would draw a basic, blank face shape for each skin tone and then draw each nose, mouth, set of eyes etc as an outline on a transparent background.
    The game could then overlay eyes 2, nose 5, ears 3 and mouth 1 onto afri_head and you have a new and different African trooper.
    Throw in a few sets of hair, beards, scars etc that can also be randomly added and you have quite a varied selection.
    It does limit you to the same jaw and ear shapes though.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

Yeah that's exactly what I had in mind with my cut up face (see last page), and there would be as many jaw lines as Chris' artist had originally made

Not entirely sure what the OP wanted, but he's more than welcome to take the blank face from that image last page if he wants