[V1.07] Skitso's Oppressive UI Mod

Skitso

mW5xUMj.jpg

Xenonauts 1.51 and X:CE v0.31 or newer compatible

This is a completely visual mod, so it doesn't alter game balance or content in any way.

What it does offer, is a complete graphical overhaul to add a more oppressive overall mood to the game. Darker tones and more muted color choises give the game much more brooding and omnious feel. I've also polished several UI elements that I thought were lacking, and added transparent elements.

I've tried to maintain or surpass the original level of visual quality and preserve the original feel and look of Xenonauts as well as possible. I hope you enjoy this mod!

deIdjeK.jpg

Vignetted, darker background graphics, added logo, removed animations

ndD3g94.jpg

Vignetted, darker background graphics, transparent menu elements, more toned down color choises

TymuaQV.jpg

Vignetted, darker background graphics, transparent menu elements

PNZfguO.jpg

Vignetted, darker background graphics, more toned down color choises

cGNkoYx.jpg

Completely overhauled geoscape with new color scheme, colorgrading, new icons etc.

Jjars9X.jpg

Vignetted, darker background graphics

PmdZLYy.jpg

Vignetted, darker background graphics, more toned down color choises

zIMu3Kq.jpg

colorgraded, oppressive night missions

gDryaOC.jpg

Transparent menu elements, polished gui bars and bar icons, polished dialog close button.

Installation:

The new modular version should work fine via game's mod loader.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Change log:

The new modular version should be compatible with at least XCE v0.31+; I haven't checked it with vanilla 1.5+ but assume it will work fine with that as well.

Complete version history:

MODULAR Thanks to kabill, this mod is now modular and easily installed via mod loader. This version also has new color grading settings for dawn/dusk and alien base missions.

1.05 Compatible with Xenonauts 1.07. Polished medal GFX and they now look delicious! :P Also reverted the mission debriefing to more original look as the earlier layout caused problems with bigger ufos when there's more salvage.

1.04 Compatible with Xenonauts 1.04. Lost continent GFX fixed. Also few other small adjustments.

1.03 Compatible with Xenonauts 1.03. Also made few improvements per user feedback: geoscape day/night contrast made a bit more visible, also equipment screen's over weight bar color made a bit darker.

1.0 Compatible with Xenonauts 1.0. Added completely new geoscape graphics, colorgraded and dark night missions, new door open/close cursor, polished GC GUI with new icons and bars that are in line and much, much more.

V21 Stable compatible. Improved Xenonaut base icon graphics in GS, small improvements and fixes.

Lot's of changes and additions in this version:

-Complete geoscape overhaul: new objectives text, color grading on the map, all new blue color theme, new crash site, terror, alien base icons etc...

-Transparent menu screens

-a few font and button modifications

-added new role images

-Slight changes to injured soldiers' health bar in the equipment screen

-completely new close buttons in ground combat inventory, xenopedia and interceptor menu

-added a slight edge vignetting in ground combat

- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash in certain situations when entered in vehicle equipment screen.

Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash in certain situations when entered in aircraft equipment screen. Sorry about this! Also few other small additions

Made the mod compatible with the yesterdays v20.1 update and also fixed one missing file. This is the final version for v.20 stable.

AC weapon slots and nametags match now MOD's overall look - also fixed few bugs.

Modified vehiclescreen to match aircraft screens look, more complete menu overhaul with matching, darker tones and colors. Modified role icons to greyscale.

New darker and more transparent menu graphics to fit better with the backgrounds. Modified soldier equipment screen, .

Includes now modified titlescreen and geoscape and further improved base ui background graphics for even darker mood.

Darker, more moody background images for base UI screens

Any feedback is more than welcome!

Special thanks to kabill for modularizing this mod!

Edited by Skitso

i love it..but the only things i dont use from this are the blue colored version of earth,and the blue ufos icons xD...i preffer the old red version and the "satelital" vainilla map. Btw, can i ask how you did the night missions changes?,i mean without it it was just like nothing serious, with this is horrible pitch black dark and creepie and bring me so much memories from the original x-com :')

Edited by blackwolf

Thanks.

Getting the night mission ambience right required two modifications. First is easy, just changing correct values to assets/tilerenderer.xml. The second change (slight blueish color grading) was a slightly tougher and needed a bit of source code fixing help from Giovanni plus a bit of script tweaking in combat_gui_export.lua.

This is great. I just, like the man above, dont like the new geosphere which is in my opinion less readable.

And also, but this is very player specific, night and base attack missions have one difficult issue - u have to have photographic memory cause u completely dont see territory that u have already passed by. And paradoxically this is why at the end i dont like this mod (i just dont remember the map and keep turning my soldiers all the time to remember the map).

The map should be barely visible even under fog of war. If it doesn't you are either playing in a too brightly lit room or your display isn't properly calibrated. That said, you can always tweak the tilerenderer.xml -file in /assets/folder to change the fow settings to fit your personal preferences.

well i use this mod but when im put in the assent folder,i just don copy the earth folder,so i keep the old satelital maps,and that you say is really weird..because even on the darkest night...i can see through the fow without problems..but still scary and darker than vainilla

btw sorry for asking so much...is there any posibilities you could make a merge patch between this(indispensable mod) and XNT-into darkness..i read a bunch of ppl(including me) asking about it..and i really havent try it just because its not compatible with this

(sorry my english)

This is actually a really neat idea. I like some of the screenshots although the base management section looks way to dark for my taste. I really do enjoy the art and backgrounds of this game and darkening it to an excessive amount seems unnecessary.

I like the enlarged weapon selection screen with that addon file for 1920p+ users. Can you also do that for the research/manufacture screen with more project names, and the aircraft screen showing more planes?

IMPORTANT: I have difficulty trying to determine day/night. I tried to arrange day mission but I cannot distinguish day/night on the geoscape w/o fast forward.

Can you make day area lighter on the geoscape (a lot lighter).

had the same problem.. i just put back the original earth folder back to assets..

Would be interesting to see your monitor and it's settings if you can't dustinguish day from night with this mod... As silencer already said above, the latest version has VERY high contrast difference between night and day in geoscape.

Would be interesting to see your monitor and it's settings if you can't dustinguish day from night with this mod... As silencer already said above, the latest version has VERY high contrast difference between night and day in geoscape.

i have a samsung syncmaster P2050

the setting is on dynamic contrast

1600x900

2014-07-04 22.23.17.jpg

2014-07-04 22.23.49.jpg

2014-07-04 22.23.17.jpg

2014-07-04 22.23.49.jpg

577e7d0626449_2014-07-0422.23.17.thumb.j

577e7d062b86e_2014-07-0422.23.49.thumb.j

Edited by z89x23

Yeah, I'd suggest you to do something to your "dynamic contrast". That's odd looking stuff - it definitely shouldn't look like that. Can you see the night/day difference in the Silencers example picture above?

yes i can see it.. shall i reduce it ? the contrast ?

If you can see it in the silencers picture without problem, but not in the game, there's something gone wrong with you game/mod installation or you have some some strange graphics driver setting that only kicks in when in game. I really don't know. Have you installed any other mods after Oppressive UI?