One map per week

Moxar

I think too rigid rules on how to create a map in a certain tileset could make the game too predictable. IMO there should be lots of maps that break the pattern to surprise the player. Of course there has to be some guidelines to make maps functional and playable but otherwise I'd like lots of different and even surprising layouts in each tileset (although I understand they should in general differ from each other gameplay wise)

Sorry to doubple post, but I think alien placement should also be more random. At the moment the levels are full of places that you simply know not to have aliens in. I'd like them to wander around the levels more active and set ambushes in second floor windows etc. My point: there shouldn't be too rigid rules on maps or alien placement to keep things fresh and frightening. Surprising and unexpected should happen now and then to keep the player on their toes.

ATM I can move around the levels too carelessly knowing where the enemies are and that there is only one left for I have killed two already.. ugh, going slightly off topic here.. ;)

Edited by Skitso

Yeah, they are much improved. You shouldn't set Alien Spawn Points (or any spawn point) inside the UFO though, there are already aliens set to spawn inside the UFO so no need to do it manually. I'd also remove all the props from the area where you've placed the UFO, to stop potential issues with props inside the UFO etc.

Farm map in particular is much better and I like the idea behind it, though I'd swap the Chinook orientation around on that too - the soldiers shouldn't be unloading directly into the edge of the map (applies to middle east map too).

Industrial map - I'd put a hole in the wall towards the top of the map, or the only way to get through is destroying it. This is another good one.

I'd have to sit down and play the maps before I made a final decision on them, but I think some of them could be included in the game with a few little tweaks (which I'd do at my end). It's certainly the best community map pack I've seen so far - good work!

In practice though, there's only a few places they usually appear and its easy to remember (for me at least). I run, ignoring cover for much of the map, then take care near the usual spawn points. Granted, I did this in the OG, but it was more risky since the aliens moved more.

The new build was interesting since they did spawn in different places sometimes, but not often.

It's certainly the best community map pack I've seen so far - good work!

Thanks! I leave the batch to you then so you can tweak them as you please. Just tell me, when you'll set them ready, which ones will be included and which ones wont, so I remove the included from the batch (to avoid doubles).

I will resume the level design with corvettes for now. Assuming this batch would be fully included, it raises the number of smallscouts and scouts maps to 3, for only 1 corvette for each tileset.

A new map should be ready tonight.

I just added threemaps, for corvette (indus, desert and farm).

Chris, why doesn't the quickbattle script place aliens, civies and friendly IA where I set in in the maps ?

Edited by Moxar

Hi guys! How are you ?

I've been busy tonight, and the result is 5 brand new maps including landingships and cruisers. I hope you will enjoy them, and they should be acceptable regarding to Chris demands.

The pack now contents 15 maps, and is still growing. I hope to complete a full batch (1 map for each ufotype and tileset) this week end...

Guys ? Damn, I'm alone. 'might be the night, ya'll afraid in the dark. Aliens, reapers...

Edited by Moxar

4 maps have been added: 2 arctics and 2 terrors. The first batch has been completed! There is now one additional map for each ufotype in each tileset.

I hope you will like them and enjoy loosing your precious boyz within.

Thus, soviettown uses industrial concrete and arctic uses chainfences, which both provide from industrial tileset. I hope that Chris will approve them anyway.

I guess I'll have a (short) break with mapping now, as I must focus a little bit on my studies. And yes, my original goal was "one map per week", and it seems I published two to three per days... I'm deeply sorry about it, I hope you're notdisapointed.

Edited by Moxar

The small farm map with the one barn between you and the alien craft was well fun - a lot shorter than I expected but some nice cover.

The second farm map I played was a bit larger and had rocks in the concrete? That didn't make much sense to me, but the map flowed well other than that. I actually made use of my shotgun carrying thotkins in something other than boarding a UFO.

I personally sort of enjoy having the charlie land with the tailgate not facing the action, feels a bit more secure. :)

Omg I cant try all this maps fast enough, so far I enjoy all this maps. Had an special epic battle on soviet terror map were the big office house in the center of map was disputed almost the whole battle, with androns defending it then later up to 2 wraiths teleporting inside and keeping me out. The building almost got fully destroyed like in good old xcom days :D

I've got about halfway through looking at these now, I'll do the rest tomorrow. Most of them are good enough to make it into the game after a few modifications, so you've done a very nice job there.

I imagine we'll do a snowy version of the chain fence because the fence is a good addition to the Arctic tilesets. Just doesn't quite look right yet (but that's easy enough to fix).

After cheking the maps on editor I can say they are quite nice and unique in each one. There are some things you could improve in how you design the maps that I believe would allow you to make even better and pro maps.

- I think you should place more props, not only for cover but to balance the maps and increase the looks. Too many areas are plain empty and feel too void. Just dont drop props like crazy only a few but well thought out.

-Need more variation on ground tiles. Very large chunks of some maps are the same tile, making it visually poor and boosting the problem above if they are empty. Im specially thinking on a desert base map with concrete tiles all over the whole map,and some industrial maps too. Maps like farm have pretty and varied ground tiles but desert and industrial concrete tiles are very uniform with little variation, heavy use of it makes the map look too uniform. Try to break the monotony with other tiles or props.

Those are the two main things I think needs improving. I suggest you slow down a bit on map making and take more time to improve and develop what you already have, polishing and giving a bit more "spirit". When taking a second look at something you normally find things you could improve/do better and didnt notice at the time you were busy creating it.