Who is having trouble with my mods?

Max_Caine

A couple of people have reported problems with my mods. I've tried to make corrections, but there doesn't seem to be any feedback on what I'm doing. I've also learnt that my mods are "locked down", but I have no idea what that means. I would really appreciate it if anyone who has my mods and is having problems please talk to me so I can undertand what's going on, because all I'm getting is "hi I have a bug" and that's it.

For information, I exclusively use notepad++ for all my mods. I don't use any other tool. Several files in Xenonauts are intended for editing in Excel. I don't have Excel and most of my resources are tied up in my mods, so I can't afford to buy Excel. When I update a mod for a new version of Xenonauts, I check to see if there are any additions or changes to how the field structure in an XML file works. I make adjustments for the changes, then I cut and paste the exisitng information. However, this has an unwlecome side effect - any xml files that are intended for Excel can no longer be run in Excel, because I've directly edited it in a text editor. I don't do anything else. If you have a problem with any mods of mine please talk to me so we can work out what's going on.

Edited by Max_Caine

Max, I might be able to help. I had not even realized that several files are meant for Excel (yay me), and also managed to screw up strings.xml such that nobody could open it in Excel.

The reason appears to be... wait for it... Excel is incapable of counting rows.

Excel XML worksheets have this in the beginning of their table definition (for strings.xml, line 95):

<Table ss:ExpandedColumnCount="10" ss:ExpandedRowCount="2085" x:FullColumns="1"  x:FullRows="1" ss:DefaultRowHeight="15">

The ExpandedRowCount number has to be equal to the number of entries in the XML file. Otherwise Excel fails to open the file and is apparently too dumb to just count the rows and fix the issue itself. So if you add an entry to that file in a text editor, you need to change ExpandedRowCount to 2086, etc. Once I did that to my own strings.xml, others apparently stopped having problems with it.

Ughhh.. i've been merging these row changes in different mods, and I bet _all_ of them are wrong because the composite is approximately the sum of both. Is this going to make the game crash, or just result in excel bitching?