By Our Powers Combined! Combined Mod Packs

kabill

Seeing as how there's various mods that I want to roll together, I figured I might as well upload the results here in case other people want to use them together as well.

All these mods are compatible only with the full release. I recommend installing them over a fresh install of the game.

Lore+ and Fire in the Hole!

Combines:

- Lore+ (Max_Caine, a333 and Henry Ponciano)

- Fire in the Hole! (Kabill and Skitso)

To install, copy the 'assets' folder into your Xenonauts directory and make sure you click 'yes' to all file-overwrites.

---

Skitso's Oppressive UI Patch (Compatible with Fire in the Hole! and also Enhanced Crash Sites)

Combines:

- Skitso's Oppressive UI (Skitso) and

- Fire in the Hole! (Kabill and Skitso) or

- Enhanced Crash Sites (Kabill)

This mod can be installed just with Fire in the Hole/Enhanced Crash Sites or it can be installed with the above Lore+/Fire in the Hole mod. It patches Oppressive UI to make it compatible with FitH/ECS. It contains none of those mods, however. You will need to download them elsewhere.

To install, make sure you have installed the other mods first. Then extract the download in the link above to your assets folder.

Edited by kabill

No trouble. Well, it shouldn't have been. I've just had the three-way mod corrupt my game *twice* to the extent that both times I've had to redownload the whole game (deleting and repasting the entire assets folder didn't cure it, in spite of the fact that there shouldn't have been any changes outside of the assets folder). Stupid thing is, I've gotten all the mods to work individually and even had basically everything working fine, but I must have screwed up the pack somewhere 'cause as soon as I used that, CTDed to death!

Oh, yeah, sorry. I took for granted people would be upgraded to 1.0, which is what the above is compatible with. Anything earlier than that probably won't work. I'll update the OP accordingly.

EDIT: Oh, of course. The update hasn't gone live for non-Steam users yet, has it?

Edited by kabill

So, I'm having some trouble with this mod. I installed it correctly, as far as I know (copied the contents of the mod's "assets" folder to the xenonauts "assets" folder) but I get a CTD right after launching the game, as soon as I get to the main menu.

Ugh, that's not good. Can I check:

1) Which of the two you installed; and

2) That you're version of Xenonauts is fully up-to-date.

For what it's worth, that's precisely the problem I was having yesterday before uploading. I thought I'd fixed it - I managed to get it working fine on my own copy of the game - but perhaps not?

(The bad news is that just deleting the mod files didn't reverse the issue. I had to completely wipe the game and reinstall. Really sorry about that - as I say I thought I had this issue fixed).

EDIT: Can you also tell me precisely how you installed it? Did you unpack the game files elsewhere first and then copy them to the Xenonauts directory, or did you unpack straight into the directory? It might be nothing, but this was possibly relevant to the fix I ended up with.

Edited by kabill

I installed the one with Lore+, FitH, and Oppressive UI, and unless Steam and my Xenonauts launcher have both been lying to me, I'm up to date. I've been messing around with stuff, and it might not be the mod; I made a backup of the entire Xenonauts folder before installing it, and I've since switched back to that and experienced the same issue.

Hmm, so it might be a compatibility issue with something else you did?

In terms of the back-up, was that just the assets folder or was it the whole directory (including the executable)? And did you completely delete the modded Xenonauts folder before replacing it with your copy?

If you just copied the assets folder, then deleting the modded assets folder and replacing it didn't work for me and it's possible you're experiencing the same problem.

If you coped everything, and just copied it back without deleting the modded files first, files added by the mod won't have been deleted or replaced so it might be something to do with that.

If you coped everything and deleting everything before re-copying, then something seriously weird is happening which I can't explain.

What I'll do, in any case, is experiment with a clean install using the download. I've got a laptop that will run Xenonauts, so I'll make sure that's up-to-date and verified and then just install the mod pack with nothing else. At least that way I should be able to find out if its the mod pack by itself causing the issue or whether it's sometime else (as well?).

Ah, so my post in your other thread was warranted after all! Clearly there's an issue; I'm going to take the link down until I can sort it. Sorry for this; was certain I'd sorted the problem.

EDIT: @Akrakorn - can I get you to confirm that it was the three-piece mod you installed (i.e. Lore+, Oppressive UI and Fire in the Hole)?

Edited by kabill

Ah, so my post in your other thread was warranted after all! Clearly there's an issue; I'm going to take the link down until I can sort it. Sorry for this; was certain I'd sorted the problem.

EDIT: @Akrakorn - can I get you to confirm that it was the three-piece mod you installed (i.e. Lore+, Oppressive UI and Fire in the Hole)?

Oh yeah, it was the three-piece mod. I initially installed the Lore+ and Fire in the Hole and everything worked fine.

I have a fix! I'm not 100% sure what the problem is, but I know how to correct it and broadly speaking what's causing it.

The problem is linked to Skitso's Oppressive UI. If you extract the mod directly into your Xenonauts directory from the file archive, it works fine. However, if you extract it into a a separate folder, then copy it across, it causes the problem (whatever that problem actually is). This seems to have carried through into my download, even though I extracted Oppressive UI straight onto the mod-pack folder before archiving it again.

I've found that this issue can be fixed by running the 'cleanfolder' .bat file in the 'assets' folder. I'm not sure what exactly this is doing, but it doesn't seem to be affecting any of the modded game files and the game works fine after running it mods and all.

This said, I'm going to to take down the three-piece mod and replace the Oppressive UI version with a download just for Oppressive UI plus the necessary change to make it compatible with Fire in the Hole (it's literally just three numbers in a file). In theory, this could just be patched over a Fire in the Hole and Lore+ installation to add in Oppressive UI on top of that without issue. I'll give it a try first to make sure it works, but it's probably going to be the best solution.

Update: Everything should be working fine. Turns out I was using the wrong kind of file decompressor, which apparently was causing issues and breaking things. Using a .rar unpacker instead seems to have cured the issue.

I've uploaded the Oppressive UI file as a separate patch (which actually makes it compatible with Fire in the Hole by itself, if for some crazy reason people didn't want Lore+ as well!) so you'll need to download both.