[V22.3 Ground Combat] Consistent CTD on aliens turn

CTD when Andron near the dump bin moves...

[ATTACH]3317[/ATTACH]

And If I kill that Andron from other save, then comes the next one who causes CTD in the same spot.

I reinstalled and stuck with v21 stable hf...still doing the same thing - terror missions and base assaults seem to be the biggest culprits for me anyway

I'm getting the same problem. 100% consistent CTD during alien turn, on terror mission. DEP disabled, Microsoft C++ 2005 (x86) up to date. Replicated on Win7-64b and WinXP-32b machines. The first time it happened, I re-did the terror mission from the beginning and eventually it gets to a point where, again, there's a consistent CTD during the alien turn, after an alien fires.

running V22.3

Right, I've run these saves myself. I'm getting one AI hang from the first save posted, and three other save files are also crashing for me. I'll pass them along to the relevant coders, thanks all.

@whitknight - posting the save games rather than the log files is much more useful for us, as it lets us reproduce the crashes in the developer versions of the game (which give much more crash information than the public version).

@TacticalDragon - Unfortunately disabling DEP doesn't fix the actual cause of the problem. It may fix some of the symptoms of the bug, but it's more important we fix the cause (if we can).

Right, I've run these saves myself. I'm getting one AI hang from the first save posted, and three other save files are also crashing for me. I'll pass them along to the relevant coders, thanks all.

@whitknight - posting the save games rather than the log files is much more useful for us, as it lets us reproduce the crashes in the developer versions of the game (which give much more crash information than the public version).

@TacticalDragon - Unfortunately disabling DEP doesn't fix the actual cause of the problem. It may fix some of the symptoms of the bug, but it's more important we fix the cause (if we can).

Understood - not all saves had consistency though a reload from the autosave sometimes would fix the problem...perhaps the culprit script wasn't allowed to run because it died...or the situation changed..but I'm running the previous version now...which isn't quite as fun..but definitely doable.

Thanks for the quick response.

I've experienced this problem on Terror missions as well on Linux, so I doubt WEP is to blame ;)

While not a guarantee, I tend to notice that this bug tends to only trigger when aliens or troops die on their own turn (or at least when one of my troops blows himself up). It might not be the only source, but it kinda feels like the game is trying to hand control to an entity that is dead and null pointering itself into a CTD.

This file has the crash but consistently - would someone else mind loading it up and seeing if it works for them?

We test this save and the alien's turn lead to inevitable crash, we have two observations:

- When the game is launched by normal user, the app crash because Video Incompatibility.

- When the game is launched by admin and DEP is disable, the app crahes because BEX error of memory overflow.

It's probably a video card or Direct X incompatibility.

I'm posting another save file. This one crashes consistently when the alien uses the teleporter to get to the first floor of a landing ship. Note, I've already followed the instructions to disable DEP, so, that doesn't solve the problem.

-- redmage

This save crash when a Sebillian leader use a teleporter and the review is because the same problem of the other one:

Exception code c0000417 Memory overflow and BEX video card incompatibility.

We suggest to devs that they look for support of Direct X compatibility and OpenGL for video cards.

We'r completly agree, even at the start of our analisys we point that our solutions is focused on avoid OS to crash.

Otherwise this reduce the amount of crashes and provide clear causes for the crashes.

People want to know what cause all this kind of errors and bring to developers more tools and information to polish the game free of bugs.

@whitknight28 and Redmage

Are you using a Nvidia Gforce 600 or more graphic card right?

fx - 9370

280x

win 7

8gb ram

I could download this on my laptop which is running a 6370m( last supported drivers 2010ish) and see if it changes anything..but since users with intel hd graphics are having similar issues..I doubt much would change