Some suggestions [V8.9]

I played for about 2 hours at this release and I want to express you my impressions.

I have not read much in the forum, only the titles of the tread due to lack of time, so if some arguments were to be repeated I apologize in advance. I have divided my impressions into classes, to facilitate both my understanding and your. My english is not good so if something is not clear I' ll try to give you a better explanation

START MENU

- Words are too small in the initial screen (new Commence operation etc. ..)

This is an aesthetic opinion. I do not think it makes sense to have words so small. This also applies to the description of the equipment in the troops menu. Slightly increase the character.

- Game options: Divide the various options for audio, video, games, etc. as in many common games

- Iron Man mode: First I would like to know what is the actual difference between veteran and insane. If the difference is only in this option, then the insane level can be removed and leave the choice of this option for those who want it. If there are differences I have a proposal. In this mode saves are created only in special events. This may be ok at the beginning where the missions are relatively simple, but going forward things get complicated, and the unexpected increase. I would suggest putting a limit of saves, for example 1 (maybe 2 are too many) in the tactical map so you do not have to go crazy if something goes wrong at the last alien. Another important thing: it would be better that there are at least two or three autosaves, not to benefit the player, but to prevent data loss. Try to think if, arrived at mid-game, after going mad in every mission, suddenly the game crashes and the only autosave is corrupt ... I think that the keyboard and the monitor would fly out the window. An even more insane option: create 2 / 3 copies of the same savegame, so that a player can not use the previous autosave if he makes a mistake.

GEOSCAPE

- Spherical Geoscape: I still think that a spherical Geoscape is the best solution. In fact, allows you to have more screen space to place the various buttons and put them larger. Also missing the two most important regions: the North Pole and South Pole Have 2 bases at those positions allow you to cover a large part of the airspace from different continents, which translates into more money per month, for the most interceptions in the area.

-Some islands are absent: Another thing I've always liked is the ability to build bases on remote islands, but in strategic positions, because having a base in an island far away from civilization is very addictive

-Add more capital: Whether for a more realistic visual effect (It may also be instructive) and for another thing I have in mind: Terror mission. In the old UFO these missions were very difficult, but that could be fruity much money and items for the research. I do not know if this kind of mission is already implemented but if it were not it would be a great loss. At most you can put an option like for the iron man mode.

- Mouse cursor: I really do not like. I would prefer something like triangle, and it more accurately

BASE

-Possibility to choose the layout of the buildings in the first base: This is not really a problem but an aesthetic and functional factor. I like to have all the hangar on the one hand and residential areas from another and not all mixed up. Also I do not know if it is the case with this game but in X-com Apocalypse, for example, you had to keep a 2x2 space for advanced lab and other construction.

- More slots of construction: This idea is part of a larger project. I thought it would be nice to build defensive installations against both aliens and UFOs, just like in X-COM Apocalypse. It would also be useful to build missiles stations in base, which directly attack the UFOs that are in the radar beam (of course, the missiles will have cost both of maintenance and production). This is because I thought that you could insert the squadrons of UFOs (6-7 or +). This way you can give support to aircraft

TATTICS

- Increase the size of the HUD tactics: I have seen the V2 and is very nice. The only thing I would tend to expand it to the sides because the keys are too small

- Use the wheel to zoom and not to change soldiers

-Soldiers lying: I do not think descriptions serve. It is simply a feature that increases the realism and increases your chances of hitting and not to be hit

- If there is no line of fire prevent to shoot : This thing is quite annoying. I'd rather appear a message that says "no line of fire" instead of misfire

- If there is a mate in the line of fire I would like to know the probability of hit: If I have to risk I prefer to know how much.

-A box to select the soldiers: I have found some difficulty in selecting the troops and this seems like a good solution for resolve the problem

- Zoom and rotation of the map: This feature seems very useful. Being able to zoom and rotate around an enemy trying to guess what is his line of fire and what is ours, to see if a soldier is effectively covered or not.

- Being able to throw objects to soldiers: this concerns mainly the grenades. You need a grenade and the soldier does not have it. No problem, a mate throw you, pick up and you're done. Increase the realism and also the tactical possibilities in impossible situations.

-Cancel the selection of an action by right-clicking on a random point of the map: I think it's really necessary

- The grenades have a percentage of stun: It seems to me to be realistic

- Unit bleeding: The medkit has never been used because the soldiers die with one shot or because no one bleeds to death after a stroke. I believe it is critical for the realism.

- Being able to see the shooting percentages after first making a move: This is useful for control of the situation. An alien is located. There are 3 units that may attack it, but they must move. It would be nice to be able to see over the alien which is the percentage of fire and if after the movement can affect. That way if you can hit, you go out into the open, if not go into cover.

AIRCRAFT

- Experience of the pilots: The damage and the ability to deflect shots depends on the experience of pilots

- The mig can use 2 machineguns: It seems absurd that this aircraft should mount only missiles. The use of machineguns could be less damaging UFOs and allowing a greater recovery of objects

- Possible slot for adding objects: Without copying the strange objects of X-COM Apocalypse could use additional fuel, additional machinegun or more ammunition. Maybe going on in the game you can add shields or other devices.

UFOs

- Squadrons: UFOs moving in squadrons and go to bomb cities or other areas. Ballistic missiles become an excellent resource against these events and also you have more tactical missions and may have cash rewards if the whole squad is shot down, vice versa, if the squadron accomplishes its goal.

- UFO landing: This is another important element in my opinion. In the old UFO this was the best way to get technology and not risk the aircraft even if the tactical mission was in hell. This refers to the possibility of damaging the UFO at different levels.

- Damage to buildings, UFOs, the ground during the crash: seems to me realistic and it was already implemented in ufo old. Here I have not seen it but I do not know if it's because it's an alpha version. In my opinion, essential. Choose to use machine guns to hurt less UFOs and have more technology, however, risking aircraft.

- Alien Bases: I wonder why the aliens can not have bases on earth. Maybe the same could be UFO landing. Increase the realism, the number of missions and technology we can capture.

TROOPS AND WEAPONS

-Adding weapons mods: (silencers, scopes etc.): a little difficult to implement, but which would give a great realism. It would also increase the number of researches to be done to develop weapons mod.

-Slot for helmet mods: night vision, infrared, anti psy more. For example, in the missions in the dark the night vision device can be much more useful than the flare that I have ever used.

- Shoulder slots: 2 slots for add grenades for each shoulder ( 4 granades in total) and decrease the weight of HE to 0.5 kg or less.

-Add a button to remove all the equipment of a soldier or to all soldiers:

-Add the ability to give everyone the same equipment

-Being able to mount the type of ammunition chosen: I do not know if it's a bug, but I can not load the launcher with the anti-tank ammunition

BUGS

- The tactical map does not scroll down if you move the mouse

- You cannot overwrite saves in the Geoscape

- Soldiers sometimes do not get stuck when it detects an enemy

-The last alien alive never moves from his position ( must search for it and kill)

I hope I was understandable and not to have wasted your time in reading this long post. Let me know what you think.

Narcotic sound this is still an alpha build (meaning much of the game isnt included yet)

START MENU

- Words are too small in the initial screen (new Commence operation etc. ..)

This is an aesthetic opinion. I do not think it makes sense to have words so small. This also applies to the description of the equipment in the troops menu. Slightly increase the character.

the text size is a scaleing issue and will be fixed along the way when more resolutions are supported as far as i understand it.

-Add more capital: Whether for a more realistic visual effect (It may also be instructive) and for another thing I have in mind: Terror mission. In the old UFO these missions were very difficult, but that could be fruity much money and items for the research. I do not know if this kind of mission is already implemented but if it were not it would be a great loss. At most you can put an option like for the iron man mode.

terror missions will be in the game.

TACTICAL

- If there is no line of fire prevent to shoot : This thing is quite annoying. I'd rather appear a message that says "no line of fire" instead of misfire

THis is a very bad idea since that would prevent you in many cases to fire on walls to destroy them.
- If there is a mate in the line of fire I would like to know the probability of hit: If I have to risk I prefer to know how much.
Soldiers in the line of fire should already have a mark of some kind appearing on them (though not for grenades)
-A box to select the soldiers: I have found some difficulty in selecting the troops and this seems like a good solution for resolve the problem
I have no idea what you mean by this. you already have 5 ways to select a soldier. 1)click him 2) click his squad number (will be number+ bars after the next interface updates) ontop of the interface at the bottom 3) press the number key that corresponds with him. 4) use the next soldier button 5)use the mousewheel.
- Zoom and rotation of the map: This feature seems very useful. Being able to zoom and rotate around an enemy trying to guess what is his line of fire and what is ours, to see if a soldier is effectively covered or not.
Rotating the map is impossible and will never be possible in this game. This game is 2 dimensional not 3D. Chris is trying to figure out a better way to show aliens and soldiers and civvies through walls but you will not be able to zoom at all.
- The grenades have a percentage of stun: It seems to me to be realistic
:confused: Really? that's realistic?
- Being able to see the shooting percentages after first making a move: This is useful for control of the situation. An alien is located. There are 3 units that may attack it, but they must move. It would be nice to be able to see over the alien which is the percentage of fire and if after the movement can affect. That way if you can hit, you go out into the open, if not go into cover.
I have no idea how you think this should be implemented since there's multiple firemodes and crouch stand options. and tbh I would consider it cheating.
- Unit bleeding: The medkit has never been used because the soldiers die with one shot or because no one bleeds to death after a stroke. I believe it is critical for the realism.
you can heal grey damage with medkits preventing soldiers from dying in the next hit. and if we are talking about realism plasma weapons would cauterize any wound preventing bleeding. I'm all for bleeding but at the very least dont make soldiers bleed from eneryweapon damage.
AIRCRAFT

- Experience of the pilots: The damage and the ability to deflect shots depends on the experience of pilots

- The mig can use 2 machineguns: It seems absurd that this aircraft should mount only missiles. The use of machineguns could be less damaging UFOs and allowing a greater recovery of objects

-Chris has said there's no experince for pilots. I dunno if it was a coding issue or whatnot but haveing them gain bonuses are ridicolus from a gameplay perspective.

- The alterations to the crafts in Chrises univers makes MiGs poor choise for machineguns. they dont have the manuverability or the armor to dogfighte so they will not have close range weaponry, you got the F16s for that.

- UFO landing: This is another important element in my opinion. In the old UFO this was the best way to get technology and not risk the aircraft even if the tactical mission was in hell. This refers to the possibility of damaging the UFO at different levels.
UFO's can alreadly land in xenonauts. (theres a bug with it displaying speed at 0 elevation but they have landed and you can send out your carrier to hit and start a mission)
- Alien Bases: I wonder why the aliens can not have bases on earth. Maybe the same could be UFO landing. Increase the realism, the number of missions and technology we can capture.
Aliens will ahve bases too dont worry.
TROOPS AND WEAPONS

-Slot for helmet mods: night vision, infrared, anti psy more. For example, in the missions in the dark the night vision device can be much more useful than the flare that I have ever used.

Would kind of kill the suspense of going on a night mission and is countereffective towards what Chris wants to achive with this game.
- Shoulder slots: 2 slots for add grenades for each shoulder ( 4 granades in total) and decrease the weight of HE to 0.5 kg or less.
This balanceing will have a rather large affect on the game and it is far too soon to suggest any such balances imo. It should not be done simply because of "realism". Realism will have to take a backseat to gameplay in a game involving aliens.

Some of the suggestions are silly (he has a need for realism that I don't quite agree on in both meanings) and some are just there because he hasn't taken time to explore the forum to see whats comming or understand what Chris wants with the game before posting. I know it's tempting to post something you thought of while its still fresh to you, but imo one really should take a bit more time to read what others has said on the subject.

Some issues I just ignored because I didn't know what to say on them but they still seemed off or illsuited.

-Chris has said there's no experince for pilots. I dunno if it was a coding issue or whatnot but haveing them gain bonuses are ridicolus from a gameplay perspective.

My recollection may be off, but I think the team decided against personified pilots so as to keep Air Combat-related micromanagement to a minimum.

pilots are basically the plane. So if you add in exp. you have to add in a sort of system for them performing better, being assigned to different aircraft, different attributes that affect different things in the game, etc.

All for something that is supposed to be relatively easy so that you can do it a lot and not get bored...

I have no idea what you mean by this. you already have 5 ways to select a soldier. 1)click him 2) click his squad number (will be number+ bars after the next interface updates) ontop of the interface at the bottom 3) press the number key that corresponds with him. 4) use the next soldier button 5)use the mousewheel.

I mean use a box like this in green in this image

Edited by narcoticsound

I read this from here:

http://www.xenonauts.com/ground-combat/

The system supports different stopping values too – you’ll have better chance of hitting your target if you’ve destroyed the window and the entire wall around it than if you’ve just shot the window out.

I suggest re-evaluating this game mechanic. Shooting from a (broken) window should not cause a reduction in accuracy. I believe it should:

1) provide added cover - anyone shooting from a window would have their bodies partially covered, causing a smaller target to be presented

2) reduce visibility of the shooter - as mentioned above, a smaller target is harder to see; perhaps spotting such a target should be governed by a 'eye-sight' soldier trait of some sort

3) increase accuracy by a small degree - the window sill provides an elevated platform from which person can rest their gun and fire from a 'relaxed' position

Please consider these points.

I can tell you right now that 2 is definetly out. You spot something in your line of sight period. You won't be able to fail to see anything in your line of sight (unless some alien ahs a cloaking ability later on in which case i doubt it will let you do any spot checks in any case.

for point number 3 have you considered that from a game mechanic and balanceing point of view or just from a realistically/logical point of view? Let Chris at the very least balance the game mechanics properly without haveing to consider all the extras every single community member thinks shoudl affect the mechanics.

I read this from here:

http://www.xenonauts.com/ground-combat/

I suggest re-evaluating this game mechanic. Shooting from a (broken) window should not cause a reduction in accuracy. I believe it should:

1) provide added cover - anyone shooting from a window would have their bodies partially covered, causing a smaller target to be presented

2) reduce visibility of the shooter - as mentioned above, a smaller target is harder to see; perhaps spotting such a target should be governed by a 'eye-sight' soldier trait of some sort

3) increase accuracy by a small degree - the window sill provides an elevated platform from which person can rest their gun and fire from a 'relaxed' position

Please consider these points.

You should also perhaps re-read that quote =p it seems Chris was talking about it being easier to hit the target if the wall was destroyed around it. =p

Having the opportunity to talk about what we think is a great thing to do, even if the answer is already given.

Usuallly, if someone request something, it's because other think the same but stay silent. If a lot of people start talking or asking stuff around the same general line,maybe it's a bigger issue than initially tough.

Edited by plucx

Chris commented on the issue of your soldiers own cover impacting negatively on his own accuracy in another thread where I raised the same issue. He mentioned a solution for it, whereby cover objects immediately next to the soldier making a shot are ignored when calculating his chance to hit. Let's hope that ends up in the final game.

-Possibility to choose the layout of the buildings in the first base:

This I agree with. Being able to decide on the layout of the initial base would be a significant boost in security against possible base defense missions.

- If there is no line of fire prevent to shoot : This thing is quite annoying.

You know what's a lot more annoying? Having a weapon which can shoot through intervening terrain to hit a target and having your soldier refuse to fire because that terrain is between him and the location you want him to shoot. Denying shots where the line of fire is blocked was a feature of the original X-Com game and it frustrated the players to the point of tearing out their hair on more than one occasion.