First impression on the game

gfeyd

I started the game recently and it felt a weird to see a seasoned veteran from some elite forces unable to hit an unmoving target at point blank range. Either those background story have an grater impact on stats or just forget about veteran background altogether. Another option would be to add seasoned soldier for hire, with higher price and upkeep (unlikely as it would create a new category of personal while fitting in another).

Another thing, i might simply be unlucky, but my soldier seem to have an uncanny level of precision when it comes to shoot fellow soldier in the back.

At this point, i started considering any soldier remotely in the same direction as the target as dead.

Explosions, too small, even for offensive grenades.

Throwing range seems small to but that might be for the better considering memories from old xcom games where the entire teams got destroyed by grenade from who know where on first turn.

Loadouts good idea overall, just make it clearer it exists at all.

Still on equipement tab, once i switch to unassigned, i can't switch back to charlie 1 at all without quiting the page.

Finally, sorry if there are bad grammar, faults and all, english is not my natural language (like i don't fault in my natural one).

hi and welcome.

First there usually are no unmoving targets for your soliders, it only looks like it becaus its a round based combat engine.

These soldiers are the best of the best but fighting a completely unknown threat with unkown capabilities and no desire for peace talks, might pressure them a little.

Try to space out your scouts to avoid hitting them with your "line troops" and snipers and smoke grenades are your friend. bring tons of those they safe lives.

Grenade range... is a little on the short side, but from a gameplay perspective that may very well be necessary and I'm fine with it.

Hiya,

I've only recently discovered that a standing soldier always fires over the top of a crouching soldier if he is in the square directly behind, so if you need to line them up try this. Also yesterday after playing for a few months I found that when aiming right clicking changes between 'snapshot,normal and aimed'. I wish I'd found this out earlier in the campaign.

Hi - as people have said above, are you aware you can right-click to spend more TU and make a shot more accurate? The game is very difficult to play without this.

I'd also suggest you download the latest experimental build if possible. It has some basic explanatory tooltips in it now, more features and we'll be adding a loading screen that displays tips shortly that should hopefully make some of the game mechanics a bit easier to understand.

I also discovered the right click thing by accident and it's bloody helpful, altough not something xcom first games would naturally try (we used to have icons under the weapon for that purpose and i simply assumed that was it). On account of smoke grenades the a.i seems suicidal at times, meaning, you blow one and they come charging at you without shooting (yahou ! easy targets), quite stupid indeed.

And when i say unmoving target i mean a target which had been staying at the same place for rounds, but indeed they might move right when shot so let's go along with it. Reaction fire seems overpowered at time compared to standard shot, but that might just be bad luck (either aliens or mine). Indeed, i had enemies and allies shot dead at max range when they couldn't it anything with max accuracy earlier, i don't know if it's doable, but it might be more realistic to lower accuracy on reflexe shot a long range or simply lower the range on them, not game breaking anyway, and bad/good luck is part of the whole thing.

@gfeyd

iirc reaction shots get an aim-penalty. Maybe that changed over the course of updates, but I don't think so.

The reaction shots of my guys are usually terrible (^^,) so maybe you are just lucky.

The right click thing maybe should be explained somewhere, I remember trying it because JA2 did it the same way.

It would be nice if there was an 'overwatch' feature for reaction fire where a square or small area could be designated, I find my unmoved scatter laser guy doesn't react to Sebilians coming down a base corridor and gunning down his teammates. Perhaps that would be slightly overpowered unless the enemy could also use smoke... I'm sure that would be an AI programmers nightmare though :)

uhm.. 1v1 is pushing it.. its far to dangerous to loose a Condor... Fighterplains fly in pairs... and then you can fight light scouts without taking damage...

You cannot risk a Condor in the new build imho. They are far to important because you need 3 fully armed planes to down a regular scout.

uhm.. 1v1 is pushing it.. its far to dangerous to loose a Condor... Fighterplains fly in pairs... and then you can fight light scouts without taking damage...

You cannot risk a Condor in the new build imho. They are far to important because you need 3 fully armed planes to down a regular scout.

Or a fighter and a Mig.

They need to rethink the health of alien craft or rethink the rate at which you get new weapons or rethink the damage that weapons do or let fighters carry more missiles/ rockets. Two months in and I'm hitting dropships which I cannot deal with without sending two wings of attackers because I can only possibly have Alenium warheads at this point. Forget even trying to take something bigger than a dropship down. I may need to build another MiG? Whatever, the Condors are worthless almost immediately.

I hope Chris doesn't fall into the indie dev trap of balancing the air combat for people who've been testing the game for two years, and are therefor veterans already. I'm pretty happy with v19. I had to learn the ropes and play carefully with lots of pausing, but it feels fair and is never based on reflexes. The combination of increased maintenance, decreased ability on Condors sounds punishing.