As people have mentioned above, the hostile reaction you got was more from your manner than from your suggestions. If you ask polite questions like you have in your other thread then people will happily explain the issues to you...but if your first post is full of swearing and telling the developers they are morons you'll get a less warm welcome - even if you happen to be right (which you were not).

• 1 month later...

just checked the forum to see if game had been updated and what changes had been made, found this thread.

"Also, if you're using a sprite that's several "storeys" tall, you need to handle any units getting behind it, unless the height is a trick of perspective and it's just taking up multiple spaces on the base level, which is bad."

Why is it bad? You just make a "node" for each level above base, code those nodes to always mimic the XY position of the base level. So now the base level moves, and the top levels follow right after one by one, each level tied to match the level underneath it.

Then you have the xenonauts do a check when they aim for what kind of enemy they are aiming at. If it registers as a tall one then it does a 2nd check to see if the xenonaut has height, then if the xenonauts registers a height of greater than 0 you have the xenonaut aiming portion be set to one of the nodes above the base, equal to the height of the xenonaut.

Now you have a tall mobile enemy that can be hit at multiple levels. Then you code each node to have that opaque thing that my mind is farting on. When a unit goes behind it is becomes half way see through. If you really want i could mock this whole logic up in pseduo code to demonstrate.

And honestly, a tall enemy that is a trick of perspective is better than no tall enemy at all.

and if you make each node targetable as objects, you can weaponize each one differently to allow xenonauts to remove certain threats from the overall robot.

Thick of a 3 heigh mech, top layer is a rack of missles, mid layer is the cockpit, and the bottom layer is miniguns. you could remove the rockets and miniguns and leave it mobile but weaponless. it does not need to be 10 height tall.

Also i have a non-standard keyboard. The keys have virtually no space between them so typos are common. I would appreciate it if you respond to the meat of my post and not the grammar.

As lnog as you can unerdatsnd waht was siad tehn the mssegae is caler. So to speak.

Judging from Chris' post, this issue has been closed and he isn't going to reopen it. Your arguments for having multi-storey robots are going to have to be stronger than "a tall enemy that is a trick of perspective is better than no tall enemy at all", and intimations that the developers are lazy or incompetent (which you have not apologised for saying) are not going to encourage Chris & Co. to spend development time implementing big robots when they coud spend that time on pretty much anything else, especally bugfixing and balancing.

And honestly, a tall enemy that is a trick of perspective is better than no tall enemy at all.

I have no doubt at all that an enemy that is lazily added as a trick of perspective would be a poor implementation.

I would object quite strenuously to a half feature that detracted that much from the game experience while adding nothing of note.

Your suggested method would probably work at a very basic level assuming the playground sdk could handle that kind of system.

I don't have a working knowledge of the engine but I do know it has some serious issues working with multiple level maps.

I am also pretty sure that the final stages of the project are a very bad time to dig deep into the code and try to add a major change.

Some of the existing and essential features are not yet finished or still have bugs remaining.

Feel free to add your code though, I for one would be interested to see how you work around the limitations of the engine.

Also i have a non-standard keyboard. The keys have virtually no space between them so typos are common. I would appreciate it if you respond to the meat of my post and not the grammar.

As lnog as you can unerdatsnd waht was siad tehn the mssegae is caler. So to speak.

I am pretty sure people are responding to the meat of your posts.

The only objections not directly linked to the content of your posts seem to be to the arrogant and offensive manner of the original posts rather than any typos or grammar issues.