Ufo Mission Analysis

Max_Caine

I did some testing. For some reason xenopedia no longer showed aircraft information when I replaced the files. The later tech to be precise. Maybe it was just because I tested this with later save game? So far I have only got one report open, I think I will test with new game.

?

Which aircraft didn't show?

EDIT:Are we talking human or alien aircraft? It might bethat the three v20 files don't synch properly with the v19 files.... but that shouldn't really be a problem. Erm, I can make v19-soecific files, so I'll work on that tonight.

Edited by Max_Caine

Hi!

The xenopedia did not show my own crafts. (human aircrafts, sorry for confusing.)

Only 2 visible was condor and the early dropship, chinook/charlie..

Before I changed mod files the saved games showed all my researched aircrafts.

I will test now if there is same problem with brand new game..

----

update:

While testing with new game the xenopedia updated foxtrot to list of human aircrafts in the xenopedia.

Sofar I have been able to trigger 2 events, and I believe finishing the mission is also requirement for some. I believe at this point I would say that mod is not 100% working with save games, I suggest anyone who starts new game putting this in tho! Additional content and bit more finished game feeling, sweet. Ill let you know If theres anything more as game goes further.

Edited by Tascruel

This is awesome. Thank you!

I have one criticism, though - these are all supposed to be obtained upon successfully downing an alien ship, right? There seems to be shifts between the reports resulting from a successful alien action, and from successfully preventing an alien action. If I loaded this into my game (which I haven't done yet) what would be the exact situation that would cause these to be added to the Xenopedia?

The difference is most glaring between the Concert Terror Attack (where it's clear the aliens slipped past and succeeded at something, and we're only just being informed!) and the Bombing (where it's clear we intercepted the vessel and learned about what it was GOING to do).

I really love the picture and text, on their own, for the Terror Attack, but I'm not sure how it actually fits in.

GlyphGryph, as you correctly point out, the way ufo missions are triggered are by shooting down the appropriate alien ship, and (in most cases) doing a successful mission. You get the datacore of the ship, and it's the datacore that triggers the research. (Research can be trigger by research topics, items gained or a combination of both. Many of the vanilla topics are both.). So when a corvette is shot down and a mission is completed, you'd trigger the Terror Attack info. What I will do is rephrase all the articles so they are clearly in the past tense. I.E. the aliens have done something, they've gotten away with it, they are getting away with it right now, this is what we're looking for, what are you waiting for - get out and shoot them!

Digression

Originally, I tried it by alien interrogation. You'd capture alien of class X and get ufo mission research from it. The problem was being able to capture aliens. Dedicated stun weapons are available fairly late in the early cycle so it's possible to miss out if research was tagged to a specific alien class, only 1 of the 3 "main" species is reasonably easy to stun, and 1 is impossible to stun, so if if a player hit a cycle where they got lots of Sebbies and Androns, they'd be stuffed. I also found that doing UFO type meters out the information in an almost natural rhythm, and ties in nicely with the abilities of UFOs.

EDIT: Tascruel, thank-you for carrying out that test. If you see anything that doesn't work, please tell me. I'm quite annoyed that my mod doesn't work correctly with savegames. I'll see what I can do about that!

Edited by Max_Caine

No problem Max!

I am not sure, but assuming the problem related that I am using the v19 stable.

I am not sure right now what was your original files that you edited?

Files that are replaced are only researches,strings and xenopedia.xml after all.

So far the new game has not had this problem. Also the problem is pretty minor :)

I have small wish that you could combine this mod with Alien Class Analysis Mod!

I remember you saying that you might do that when you got the time.

The amount of new content would be greater. How big job would that be?

I kind of fear I might have to start new game to cover em both :D

Great job anyways, this mod gives nice feeling of more finished game!

I also love every bit of extra content there is.

In addition when the game finally comes out it would be really great to have some mods combined together. I think currently you could only use one mod, and not several same time..

Edited by Tascruel

Well, it's not hard at all. It's just I would prefer to combine both when they are both done. I'll go and do it.. in about 10 minutes or so, as I'm switching from v20 to v19 to do a v19-specific UMA. It may be the v20 researches, strings and xenopedia .xmls really don't like working with the v20 .exe (but why would that be? I have no idea.)

EDIT: Okay, so it's going to take longer than 10 minutes to switch from v20 to v19! I remembered that I didn't update the Alien Anlysis mod beyond v19, which means that I can use those files to make a v19-compliant combined mod. So, I've used the ACA as the basis for a Lore+ mod, which combines the whole ACA and everything up to the current moment with the UMA. Here's the link. I don't know if it works properly with v19, because Steam is currently changing from v20 to v19, so I can't test it, but it should work.

Edited by Max_Caine

Hi Max!

Sorry for not replying earlier. (..But your forum inbox is full!)

I tried playing the "Lore+" further and did not get much problems with it.

I was thinking of making new playlist and ending xenonauts declassified theme.

I always wanted to use declassified serie to go through some hard end content

and not do classical LP of the game.

Hopefully new xenonauts will pick some tips & tricks there :)

Now it is time to move for a LP.

So I will use your lore+ in my gameplay and talk about the mods in general aswell.

I have first episode in edit at the moment, I start with veteran difficulty and play with lore+ mod.

Good or worse, well let's see how this one goes :)

Later on I might return with new declassified theme, like "Declassified V20"

..or just wait for game to finish for new LP.

Gotta see how things turn out.

-Commander Tasku

Edited by Tascruel

In response to GlyphGryph's comments, I've been reworking the first paragraph of the Bombing Run mission. GlyphGryph, does this sound better to you?

R&D was able to extract and translate a flight plan from the wreckage of the ET bomber we shot down and passed it over to us. We’ve mapped the route and it matches devastating raids on the industrial zones of several cities, as well as a raid on a classified submarine dock. Commander, those attacks took place over two continents in the space of a day without, as far as we can tell, the ETs having to refuel or rearm. This is something our current generation of bombers cannot match. The ETs are stepping up their air campaign in a big way, and we have to step up to meet them.

I have updated some of the words, but I'll put out all updates when the next mission briefing is available.

And speaking about that, I've got a question for you folks, as I'm torn between two choices. The next one I'm doing is the interception mission, and Henry's sent me two very different sketches. The first is a "chase cam" style of view, where an alien fightercraft is chasing a dropship. The second a "pilot view", where we're looking through the alien pilot's eyes at his target, with a futuristicy HUD and all. Either would be suitible, so what do you people think? Chase cam, or pilot view?

I would love to see the photos.

By describtion I vote: pilot view

Could be fun to see how them aliens operate those aircrafts and what it would look like.

Update: EP3 of the Lore+ serie prolly out in day or two.

EDIT: After I saw the pictures, I changed my mind to chase cam style!

Edited by Tascruel

Okay, I've made my mind up, and Henry is now working on the picture.

I just found this mod post today and absolutely love it. Now I'm left to wonder which one you've chosen to go with?

Also the artwork is amazing, it really fits with the existing art in the game.

Just an update for people wondering where the next UMA is. It's ready to go... but I've got a slight problem that this one has to be triggered later on in the game, and build 7 is REALLY FREAKIN HARD to progress in. I'm currently considering making supa haxx0r stat boosts so I can get to the point where I can trigger the analysis, but I'm also working a lot as it's the Christmas period, all hands on deck blah blah blah, so it's hard to get time in to play the game so I can trigger the event.