[Suggestion] Scoping the battlefield

Okim

Rather than adding to a list of people who just agree or disagree with changing the range maybe it would be better if people just tried adjusting the ranges then posted their findings?

It would be more useful to Chris if he had a rough idea of what people thought of as a "good" sight range when it comes to balancing time.

I've been playing with sight ranges set to 20, and I'd say that it could easily be extended further than that without causing balance issues. I left the Ferret's sight range as 10, as I felt it warranted a downside compared to your troops, and reflected the limited view of the crew who are buttoned up inside.

As mentioned above, the greatest benefit for me has been the increase in incoming fire from the aliens and the greater use of covering fire by leaving my own troops with enough AP for reaction fire.

Sadly, the game does seem to be crashing more often again with the edited sight ranges. I'm not sure why that would be the case as it's just a number in the config file but I guess there may be stuff going on in the background that I'm unaware of.

Has anybody else tried tweaking the sight ranges? What do you all think of the effect it has? (as mentioned in an earlier post, it seems that you need to edit both the default sight range and the sight rangers in the armours_gc file)

Edited by jimbobfury

This is not the original UFO.

The maps are different sizes, the character and vehicle models are potentially a completely different scale etc.

The exact numbers used would not easily translate across (even if I knew the exact sight ranges used in x-com).

If you are unhappy with the sight range as it is then try adjusting the settings until it looks right to you and post back what you changed the settings to.

People can then compare settings and we might come up with settings that apply to Xenonauts, rather than any other game.

I also would like to sight range to be increased several times.

If a map isn't flat and barren that wouldn't be much of problem. Currently any shooting outside a building is within 1-turn running distance.

This post made think about alien capture. How will longer sight ranges blance in compared to other facets of combat we havent seen yet? such as melee aliens and alien capture?

The sight range is actually tied to the armour that the soldier has equipped - so it can be found in armours_gc.xml.

The next build will have 16 instead of 10 for the default sight range. This is more in line with X-Com, I didn't actually realise there was such a differential between us and them until I loaded up TFTD a few days back. The game is indeed more fun with longer sight ranges. Although it does make it even more obvious how stupid the AI is right now.

Changing armours_gc.xml works just up to a point. When disembarking from the helicopter I could never see the magazines on the right to the heli.

With range=30 the game was laggy, but I couldn't see more then with setting range=20.