TRICK SHOTS: A Thread for Epic Moments

In essence, post your "epic" moments here; the insane shots, the courageous charges that end with success with nary a scratch laid upon the hero, etc.

So, I'll go first.

I don't know if this counts as unusual, but it was the first time I tried it and it worked incredibly.

So, combat shields. Love 'em.

I had two shield bearers crouched in front of the UFO entrance, with two snipers-with-shotguns (I love putting shotguns in my snipers packs too, it makes so much sense now!) sitting behind them, ready to fire over their heads.

Except they both missed.

So, I had one shield bearer fire off her pistol, and I think one or two shots made the mark. However, the sebillian was still standing. So, as a last ditch effort, my brave other shield bearer ran up and whacked the sebillian with the shield. That's right, I shield bashed a seven foot tall lizard man. It took two hits to kill it, but kill it he did. It was pretty epic.

The next most epic thing from today's playthrough was, to be brief, pistol whipping a Caesan to death. It took several hits, since that's all I was doing was melee attacks, but I literally beat him to death with the butt of my pistol. It was pretty epic.

Is...this just limited to Xenonauts...?

'Cause I once suicide-bomber'ed a solder into an alien base control room because at least four of the damned sectoids boxed in there had blaster bombs, only to have the HE pack he was holding detonate, causing secondary explosions that wiped out every single xenos in the second story while he was unscathed (he was also in there).

Hmm, how much AP do the melee attacks take?

Ah 12 for the pistol. So slightly higher TU cost for less damage, but it doesn't seem to miss. (was getting 12ish damage for 12 TUs). Come to think of it I had a shield and pistol, not sure which one was actually meleeing.

Looks like it was the pistol, shield did 16 when pistol went away on a Seb

Edited by svidangel

I used to love being in the most dire of situations with most my team dead, one guy bleeding to death with no medkits left and no hope of breaching that last alien room they were holed up in...

To have the bleeding guy be the hero and prime a prox/timed grenade and run in suicide bomber style to get mowed down by plasma fire and the room going dark...holding my breath and the guys outside the room crossing their fingers. I clicked end turn and listened, as at first a single, then multiple explosions ripping through the room, followed by the Mission Successful screen. 8-)

You will always be remembered *Salute*

Reminds me of one of my favourite parts of TFTD. In a situation with 1 or more aliens with good line of sight, no way to move the troops in the line of fire and no-ones a good enough shot to take them out. Or they're lobstermen.

Cue Sonic Pulsers from everyone who has time units. Why is this relevant? In vanilla TFTD grenades can't be destroyed by explosions, so you can utterly shred an area with explosives in a single turn.

It worked about half the time, but the bigger reason was to create a huge amount of smoke.