Base needs guards

You can hire more troops than you use in your assault teams and keep them as base defence.

The difference between those and a dedicated set of defenders is that if one of your main squad members is hurt or killed you have someone who can replace them.

You can also cycle your troops so that your base defenders gain experience and stats to make them better defenders.

I've had two terror missions against reapers where I've had near total squad wipe-outs. I tried to get the survivors back to the Chinook, where I found two reapers hiding inside the drop ship. It ended badly. While I applaud the AI, I did near rage-quit.

Just saying the drop ship does get boarded (by reapers anyway).

Your dropship isn't about to be boarded, there's no disadvantage to leaving it unguarded.

The chinook's made of the same stuff as the UFOs, didn't you know? It's completely indestructible when landed. ;)

Oh I know they can't take it, but I "roleplay" it ;)

Oh and apparantly they can board it lol, just read the above post.

I've had two terror missions against reapers where I've had near total squad wipe-outs. I tried to get the survivors back to the Chinook, where I found two reapers hiding inside the drop ship. It ended badly. While I applaud the AI, I did near rage-quit.

Yep. They can't capture or destroy it, but the can use it for a break room while waiting for some unfortunate Xenonaut to come for coffee. Civilians will hide in it too.

That is the most awesome thing I've read all day. :cool:

but they can use it for a break room while waiting for some unfortunate Xenonaut to come for coffee.

Cdr Stellar Rat: Say! Does this coffee taste funny?

Sgt thtohkins: Yeah, I could swear there's more more of it than when we left, and that smell!

Together: Gah! Reaper Wee! those $!*$