[v18.51 Ground Combat] Alien sight range.

Combat in V 18.51 seems to be more difficult although I have chosen normal difficulty as always. Aliens shooting from very far away and see through walls. I have to run a couple of turns before I reach them, but then, more then 70% of my squad has been severely wounded ( these are startup soldiers with no armor). Shall test a little further ...

i had some awful shots made at me, making me think about the range issue, but after counting tiles, i got around 16 tiles approximatively (since they move and shoot, i could not pinpoint the exact tile), it does not seem wrong.

What does is the fact that they have night vision and we don't :)

I still hear & see (camera center on the ship and i see that ship without soldiers anywhere close) aliens shooting from inside the ship, my guess at a civilian within range

Well, bite me, i just confirmed twice that 2 different Sebillians, with a burst capable weapon, shot at me from 20+ tiles away, in a night time mission.

Is it a night time bonus for Sebillians ? Because from the base 15 to 20+, it feels harsh since we already get quite a penalty in night time (i had the 1st one at close to 25 tiles, give or take a couple, the second more than 20 for certain)

That is 3rd mission from a new game, Scout ship, desert style map, still in the 1st month. Ouch.

Anyway, spam Flares and progress very slowly at night, that i learn.

Small side note : Flare newly found vision upon landing won't reveal an enemy. You need to "right click" as if you want to turn the soldier who just thrown it, if he's in range.

Trying to join the save made at mission start (used winrar) : http://dl.free.fr/g7JCL7WsP

A hot fix just came out today (5/23/2013) to address the shooting through walls and such problems. Go look at the announcements page. This might also explain part of the "sight range" issues which could be easily mis-interpeted if the aliens can shoot through objects.

Edited by StellarRat

Is it a night time bonus for Sebillians ? Because from the base 15 to 20+, it feels harsh since we already get quite a penalty in night time (i had the 1st one at close to 25 tiles, give or take a couple, the second more than 20 for certain)

Cwell, I'm currently in a daytime early mission without armor, and am getting hammered the same way. Straight tile distances are +/-20 and diagonal distances are +/-15. Can't get close enough to see the Sebillians without losing Hunter and/or squaddies before seeing them.

In this instance they are not shooting through structures...

Edited by Omots

Yep. I don't bother with night missions and still find it very hard to even get within sight of them. Currently yet to take down more than one Caesan/Seb without losing all my troops (am sending in 8. Taking one out usually accounts for a minimum of two dead/seriously wounded soldiers and do now have basic armour. They still like to shoot at the door of their ship too. Playing 18.51.

Have had one case where a wall tile was shot away by one alien and then the other shot through the gap to kill my soldier behind it ... annoying so and so's.