V18.5 Aliens AI (Pacifist aliens?)

Uhm... why am I running into pacifist invading aliens?

They do not fire at my soldiers, ever. They shoot civilians and local forces, but not Xenonauts. I'm more than three months into the game (January 1980) and pretty much all I had to fear from aliens was reaction fire (well, occasional friendly fire as well). Is it just me or is the AI not working at all in this version?

"We come in peace." <que BIG silver robot>

Barnhardt: One thing, Mr. Klaatu: suppose this group should reject your proposals. What is the alternative?

Klaatu: I'm afraid there is no alternative. In such a case, the planet Earth would have to be... eliminated

Barnhardt: Such power exists?

Klaatu: I assure you, such power exists.

Have only started playing recently, so v18.5 is only build I have played but I have this exact issue. Only time aliens will fire at your soldiers is from reaction fire. Sure the AI seems to be having great little battles between civilians and aliens, but I am largely left out.

Been having great fun with little I played but once I realized that most of my success was due to not being shot at it took most of the wind out of my sail. Is there any work around to help fix this?(think I saw a mention about removing civies from game but not sure how to do this)

Also is this new to v18.5 or a know issue? Like I said just started playing but really enjoyed way game plays.

Also most of the shots between aliens and civs are aimed at walls. also at the inside walls of the UFO.

Every 'pass turn' screen in some cases takes like half a minute of weapon sounds.

I had my guys just carefully walk around civs and aliens shooting at buildings that stand between them not to get hit by the crossfire.. with the aliens so distracted I imagined my guys all have samurai swords and ninja the aliens out

I'm lucky enough to still have 18.4 on my PC. So, five minutes ago, I did a little experiment. I edited the ship loadout so that every UFO comes with at least eight reapers. Then I did the same thing in 18.5. I started a new game in both, and downed my first lightscout. Off goes Charlie in both 18.4 and 18.5.

In 18.5, two reapers started in sight. I immediately ordered my men to throw down their weapons and begin peace talks. The reapers were happy to oblige, and, apart from the diplomatic faux pas of impregnating the civilians nearby, co-existed with us peacefully.

In 18.4, four reapers started in sight. I immediately ordered my men to throw down their weapons and begin peace talks. The reapers killed everyone.

Something clearly broke with the A.I. Here's to hoping that the 15.1 update fixes it!

Reaper/Zombie AI on the terror missions may be a little predictable. I had 10 civilians, so there were more Reapers & Zombies than in vanilla, but I must have caught 6 moving counter clockwise around the top and then left of the map towards the Skyranger in my last terror mission.

First time it I saw it, it was a shock to discover a Reaper had got behind my lines, so it's not a bad tactic. But the element of surprise is lost if they all perform some sort of alien conga line :) .

I think there's a bug in it. They were pretty aggressive after the AI patch last time, I assume something broke between then and V18.5. We're looking into it.

Don't tell anyone, but some of the best results in strategy gaming community have been achieved by having open-sourced AI code ;)