The final fight in a big UFO?

shuuk

In the original X-Com, the aliens had a base of operations in Cydonia, on Mars.

But I doubt Chris is going to recycle the plot of X-com verbatim, and I also doubt he's going to spoil the ending of the game here on the forums prior to the release of the game proper.

That said, I'm hoping for the usual orbital mothership or a subterranean base under one of the ancient wonders of the world.

Like the Pyramids or the Stonehenge. How did they get there? I'm not saying it's aliens,

...but it's aliens.

Edited by RotGtIE

Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_vostok

Its in the middle of Antarctica under 4000m of ice. The surface is about 500m below sea level and it measures about 250km by 50km and average depth is 344m. The water may have been isolated for 15-25 million years. The Russians have been attempting to drill down for a while now but there has been questions about contamination. The odd anomalies are at one end of the lake. More on that here: http://www.exohuman.com/wordpress/2011/02/whats-under-lake-vostok/

Earth and Moon bases would be too easy to trace. Mars is better. A mothership is probably the coolest solution. Could be all alien and dangerous and with alien infinite spawn points and stuff. I always thought the final Xcom mission should have more of an Incubation feel, where you just cut through the endless alien meat with a bunch of ragged wounded soldiers.

Think Incubation.

A finite number of smart shooting aliens plus an endless (possibly finite, but still huge) mass of stupid weak melee creatures.

This way you could create enough tension for this "final stand" feel without frustrating the player too much.

The only Infinite Spawn gimmicks I care for are ones which have destructible sources (collapse the tunnels, kill the queen bug, destroy the reactor). It's not the quality of the anklebiters that bugs me so much as it is the complete inability to address them directly by either exhausting their many but not infinite numbers, or by shutting down their source.

Orbital bombardment of the martian base has certain amount of charm. :D

So much of the game is as yet unrevealed and we may not be aware of the direction everything is headed until just before we are there. I like the idea of a mother ship (like in the movie Independence Day).

a disease! (the virus in Independance day

I've got it: jackets! If people don't wear jackets, they could get cold - a cold is caused by a virus...a virus...like a computer virus! We could make a computer virus and send it to their ship to disable their computers!

I've got it: jackets! If people don't wear jackets, they could get cold - a cold is caused by a virus...a virus...like a computer virus! We could make a computer virus and send it to their ship to disable their computers!

I totally thought that last line was going to be "We could make a computer virus and send it to their ship to disable their jackets!"

Then I got to wondering what magical powers their super alien jackets had, and how we could possibly fight their sci-fi fashion statements. That might be a war we could never win! =p

Has it been answered ingame how the aliens has reached earth? (i ahvent been able to get any payment accepted to get the gae yet) Have they allways been in close proximity? Did they travel here in a big great space fleet (like in the series "V")? or do they have an Origin planet taht they travel back and forth to? I'm guessing it hasn't been revealed. One way to break away from´the original X-com could be to not have a base reachable from our planet.

Lets say that the Aliens use "jump gates" to cross large expanses of space. They got one in their system and one or more recievers in ours. That way they dont really need a master base in ur system or a mothership. Say they have 50 or so recievers that are big enough to accomondate the alien vessels traveling through them but small enough that they are difficult to detect and closing one doesnt really do anything to stop the flood. (We are also assuming that the launcher gate is bigger and a sort of master system, so that if you destroy it it wont be just a simple means of replaceing that like it is replaceing the reciver gates)

Through interrigation you get the means to either trick the master gate to open up a gate or information on when a gate opens so you can ride on the backdraft to the mastergate or whatever.

Once there you realize that you are on their moon. The jump gate master system is a superstructure built into the very core of their orbiting moon. (assuming their moon has a synchronozied spinn/roation just like ours does you will have their world above you)

Instead of ending the threat by destroying their race or something you can postpone everything by sabotageing their jumpgate causeing a cascading effect as you take the last jump out. Then you mop up the remaining spaceships, research as much of their tech as possible and convert the reciver gates into a stellar defence network with monitoring to detect if they become active again.

(Sets it up nicely for a sequel ^^)

PS. hmm a bit more work and i can make that into fanfiction=P DS.

PPS When i think about it it does sort of remind a bit about X-com apocalyps... but that was interdimentional travel and you killed them. and that game had the most dissapointing finishing screen i ever recall getting. DS.

Edited by Gorlom