lyosha

I saw this thread and couldn't help but see the hope in this. In the original X-Com I always wished there was a way to save more citizens to get a better rating and, therefore, more funding. To add my two cents, I would suggest something like a foghorn that could be added to the Chinook/Carrier to call attention to the carrier itself or the safe-zone controlled by the AI, in which case the foghorn would emit from there rather than the Chinook. No cash bonus would come out of this, which I agree, does not fit the game, but will provide the better rating to incite more funding at the end of the month. The other suggest I had in mind was a type of lamp, or perhaps fog light, that could be mounted on a tank, the Chinook or added as a item that illuminates a 10x10 tile-base or the like.

inb4 "stupid idea" rage

*shrug*. Sounds workable. It'd be a form of 'safe-zone' (whether it is actually 'safe' is irrelevant), just more obvious/player controlled.

Could beat them onconscious with rifle butts or shock batons, but that depends if the aliens will attack unconscious units.

A foghorn shouldn't be needed. A Chinook makes enough noise by itself and most civilians would (or should) run if one is coming in hot (followed by gun fire and explosions). I don't know why they don't as it is. You're the first I heard of that wanted more civilians in X-Com.

KhazarLight: How would aliens react to theese things? Would they just stupidly ignore the noize/light (and subsequently cause a logic hole that annoys lots of players)or go there and butcher all the civilians if you cant make it there in time to protect them?

Straker: What if the civvies are just as afraid of the xenonauts? I mena if the xenonauts mission isnt to save civvies they would just be annoyed by the gathering masses and Ive seen enough other pieces of fiction where the assumed salvation is leads to death if you try to seek it out, to motivate that they might possibly open fire on the masses "to contain the situation".

Edited by Gorlom

The civvies are afraid of the Xenonauts. Just not as much as the aliens, so if they have a choice, they'll run towards your troops (assuming there's nowhere else closer they can hide).

Part of 'basic training' courses (which rank-up rookies to corporal) is so they won't fire at civilians by accident.

Uh, yeah. Not sure if its still going to stay in, but rookies (privates) were planned to have a chance to fire at the wrong targets (invariably civvies or NPC troops) during overwatch. Part of the whole 'pure rooks are a liability' along with the morale penalty they cause.

Edited by Sathra
I will destroy you comma button!

It was more a comment on civvies might not be trusting of the unknown government agiency thats dealing with secret hush hush stuff then Xenonauts beeing acctual bad guys.

How is Xenonauts PR handled btw? Do we ever get an incling as to how the civvies look upon Xenonauts? Are they open or secrative about their dealings?

Well from what I read on the homepage they took contact with governments out of the blue after they had a successful engagement with an UFO. Prior to that noone knew who they were.

So while they might not be trying to be top secret they might not be openly shareing or playing the PR game thusly be subject to rumormongering.

Bah, they lied to me! I was told it was swallows losing their grips on the coconuts they were carrying. Although they didn't know if it was african or european swallows when i asked them about it.

(Jeanluc while funny I'm still refering to the public opionin of the Xenonaut organization rather then if the public is aware of the aliens. Depending on how they care about what is released to the public they could end up getting bad press despite doing whats right.)

Edited by Gorlom

KhazarLight: How would aliens react to theese things? Would they just stupidly ignore the noize/light (and subsequently cause a logic hole that annoys lots of players)or go there and butcher all the civilians if you cant make it there in time to protect them?

I was sure I put this in my original post. Sorry that I missed it.

Of course the Aliens would react to the noise and try to pursue it along with the civilians, but the "safe" area would most likely be protected by the NPC military or the Xenonauts themselves, which could end up getting overrun by aliens anyway. This would then create a battlefield in some sense around the area with several aliens around the zone and several still scattered about to give a chance to the NPC soldiers to do some good or alert you to alien presence.

In addition I think it would make sense that the zone/mission would be lost in the reciprocal that it can be won. For example, if an alien or aliens can take hold of the "safe zone" for 5 turns (maybe more) free of any resistance (NPC, xenonauts) they would win or create a type of negative effect.

I personally think this would have a good effect on the secondary objective cache by adding multiple scenarios.

ha ha what about the all-time favourate: 'participate in a real life terror strike situation!'

It's where a terror strike occurs, and civilians get flown in before the Xenonauts to experience a terror strike first hand. They get a prize if they survive, and the Xenonauts get to keep any money they find in the wallets if they don't.

It only ever gets positive feedback because you either die, and can't complain, or are so grateful that the Xenonauts saved you that you love them! And if you do happen to write down a grievance... Well I guess the aliens mind controlled them, so they had to be put down... =p